AA miles to DEL/BOM

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by aanswer, Aug 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never really had a chance to use AA miles, since most of my accrual is with CO/UA. However, I have a good stash of AA miles (~156,000) and I'd like to use them for DEL or BOM. Any recommendations on routes and airlines? Prefer premium cabin and would like to avoid LHR due to taxes.

Dates: NYC to BOM or DEL (October 1st); DEL to NYC (October 14th/15th)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I can think of is Cathay Pacific, but if you are based on the east coast, I'm not sure that is the best way to get there.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd definitely consider CX, especially since their reward availability is fairly decent.

How about redeeming on Jet Airways? Any experience with past award availability?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to fly a premium cabin and avoid LHR, then Cathay Pacific First Class is the way to go!

aanswer likes this.
  5. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Research: on.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You've got enough for J, but not quite enough for F.

If you want to do it easy, you can take the obvious JFK/LGA-ORD-DEL all on AA metal, and if needed add a 9W flight to BOM from DEL. The premium experience wouldn't be that great though.

Another option would be JFK-HEL-DEL on AY. J is their highest cabin, and I've heard decent things about the hard and soft product. HEL is a much better connection airport than LHR from what I hear. Again, a 9W flight can be tacked on from DEL-BOM if you'd like.

Probably your best option is if you can get 9W from NYC-BRU-BOM/DEL. I've heard great things about the hard and soft product and who knows how long redemption on this carrier will remain available with Kingfisher entering the picture next year. I believe you can even add MAA as an option from BRU on 9W.

There is always the BA option, too. But since you're avoiding the YQ.....

aanswer and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CX is a great option but you'll need to redeem two awards if you're not doing a OW award based on distance. AA's awards to India need to cross the Atlantic otherwise.

You do have enough miles to do the OW award though. It'll cost you 150K and just might be worth it.

JFK-HKG-BKK-DEL-BKK-HKG-JFK = 21904 miles of distance

A J OW award for this distance would be 150K. The great thing about it would be that you can stop in HKG and BKK along the way.

Aktchi and aanswer like this.
  8. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point about the Pacific route.

J is fine, too. As long as it's not Y, we're good. Haven't flown Y in ages!

Any idea on 9W availability between JFK-BRU-BOM/DEL? I haven't had time to explore AA redemption options and the one time I did, they had plenty of CX options available.

Thanks!

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've only looked at 9W availability within India, not on international routes, so I can't give any feedback on that. :(

10. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll call and post back by end of next week. Looking forward to exploring OW.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's another option to consider:

Redeem 3 separate one way awards.

Fly JFK-some where in Asia Zone 2 (HKG/BKK/SIN? Even DPS!) in F class on CX for 67.5K
    Fly Asia Zone 2 -DEL/BOM in J class (F isn't offered on those routes) on CX for 30 K
    Fly BOM/DEL-BRU-JFK on 9W in J class for 67.5K
    Total: 165K

You'd need an additional 9K miles, but you can purchase that from AA for $225 plus tax. You'd be able to add a CX F class flight to your itinerary though, you'd also experience 9W, and you'd still be able to keep a stop somewhere in Asia on the way.

If you want to cut down on the actual $ cost, you can fly to Asia Zone 1 instead of Asia Zone 2 in F for 62.5K on JL. You can also do this through Europe for a similar cost, but the options for quality F class if you don't want to use BA through LHR are .... meh.

hulagrrl210 and aanswer like this.
  12. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another option to consider is 9W which is reinstating F class service back on the EWR-BRU-BOM route. And don't forget that for AA routing rules, if you would like to do a single award to India, you would need to go trans-atlantic if not it will break it up into 2 awards.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing you didn't read the thread. ;):D

14. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bad. I just scanned thru some posts.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No worries, you picked up on two of the things that were worth repeating. :)

16. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to start looking for award availability next week. Will post back as to what we end up with.

BWIflyer likes this.
  17. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, I know OP said no LHR, but would BA first on this route actually be worth it? How much would the taxes and fuel surcharge come to?

The real benefit to BA is the wide open availability...

18. msny

msny Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its about $1100+ for taxes and fuel surcharge.

19. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, that's way too much. By about $800 :D

20. skit53
    Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok I agree, that's more than I thought!

21. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This contains a very good suggestion but some tinkering may be required or even desirable. First of all, a OW award requires at least two OW carriers without counting AA, which may or may not be used. Secondly, a OW award is a very powerful tool which lets you build almost magical rtw trips with no more miles than AA would charge for a simple round trip.

For example,
    JFK-HEL-BUD-IST-AMM-DEL-BKK-HKG-JFK
    clocks in at under 20K flown miles and would cost 130K AA miles in Business Class. (By contrast an All Partners award would be 135K miles just for the JFK-DEL-JFK. )

This is just an example; if you had the time or inclination, more stops or different ones can be worked in. DEL can be replaced by BOM in the above if you wish; one OJ is permitted, so you could also arrive in DEL and continue from BOM or vice versa.

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good catch not sure how that slipped my mind, especially since I'm currently planning my own OW award... Lol

23. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestions, all. Thank you. I'm going to start researching award space towards the end of this week. Unfortunately with the timing limitations, we'll have to do a simple RT, but may be tempted to add another destination in-between.

24. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify, you can't add a stop in an All Partner award (unless you spend extra miles for an additional award). However, while OW award can accommodate up to 16 segments, it will do 3 just as easily---as long as you use two OW carriers other than AA.

Good luck.

aanswer likes this.
  25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    International stops aren't allowed. If the stop is at the North American gateway though, it would be allowed on an AA or All-Partner award.

So if ORD/JFK/MIA etc look appealing, go for it. A stop in LHR/BRU/HEL etc isn't viable though.