AA Mileage Accrual on Brazil's GOL (G3) Terminating on 8/13

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As seen on the always informative TravelingBetter.com, it looks like AA has updated its information page on GOL to read:

LINK.

AA's AAdvantage relationship with GOL is discontinuing effective August 13, 2012. For GOL flights taken on/after August 13, 2012, mileage accrual will no longer be offered.

All award travel on GOL must be booked and ticketed by August 12, 2012. Travel is valid one year after ticket date and all award travel must be completed by August 12, 2013. No changes to the GOL flight segments will be allowed during that period.

Tiki, kyunbit and jbcarioca like this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Maybe AA thinks they will have a better Brazilian partner by then? ;)

Tiki, kyunbit and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    O sure hope so, otherwise it will be a great devaluation to AA's program for Heavy Brazilian Travellers!!

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1067
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203501304577084802263746384.html

Delta bought into Gol, and are creating a hub in BSB that Gol will feed. Gol will be a ST member soon. Thus AA and OW are out of the picture. Most of this actually was announced last year. The presumption has been that post-Latam TAM will end out leaving *A for OW. DL and ST did not want to be late to the party so they jumped well before Latam was even officially under way.
    The real question is now what *A will do. They have no good options now.

Tiki and kyunbit like this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I am not sure why I missed out on this development. Thanks for the info

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite all the lamentations here:) the fact is that between the time it was announced, finally implemented and now its evident termination the effective GOL/AA partneship lasted what? one year?? Not long enough to be utilized or even noticed by most.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can tell you a lot of people noticed, because the AA ticket centre was full of smiles (gol's mileage program) every day! I took a big advantage of it, since I had the smiles credit card and the mileage redemption for AA was too generous!

9. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe TRIP or Passaredo? Not many domestic Brazilian airlines left. I don't even know how financially stable they all are.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True; the TAM relationship lasted much longer, and all indications are that TAM will be back in OW. I will be quite happy to have LATAM in OW.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  11. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that will be a great advantage for us and major value to the OW alliance !

12. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    *A is getting both Avianca-Taca & Copa. GOL is probably larger than "Avianca Brazil" within Brazil, but overall Avianca is probably larger in S. & Central America than GOL.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of couse *A has had Copa effectively through CO. That is important because of all the one-stop connections. Avianca-Taca does have a route network, but has many fewer passengers than does Gol. I have a hard time thinking that *A is worried. After all TAM is the largest airline in the Southern Hemisphere. That is a huge amount of customers to lose, and Gol is gone to ST. Not to overrate Brazil, but it is more than half of all traffic in South America.