AA metal, BA flight # - does AA status apply?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Polkacat, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Polkacat

Polkacat Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at booking a ticket ORD-ATH via a 3rd party website. The ORD-LHR and vice versa is AA metal, but BA flight # (if you buy it as the AA # the fare spikes!).

I have not been in this situation before and am wondering whether the PNR will come up on aa.com or only on ba.com, whether I can choose seats more than 24 hours ahead (alas, only AA Gold!), etc. or if I am stuck with my sad BAEC Blue status since it is a BA flight #.

Thanks in advance!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just input your AA FF number instead of your BAEC account when you check out on the 3rd party site, and you'll be able to use your AA status. If you can't input that information on the 3rd party's site you should be able to pull up the itinerary by using AA's search feature. BA doesn't do much for OW Ruby though, if I recall correctly.

You should be able to pull it up on AA.com. Since the flight is operated by AA you should be able to select a seat just fine.

3. Polkacat

Polkacat Active Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks!

4. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody know whether you would be able to use EVIPs in this situation?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't think so. Needs to be AA metal & AA coded for SWUs. Maybe that'll change as the OW airlines cozy up...

6. So far, only miles can be used for upgrades across the OW members.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just to be clear you can use AA miles to upgrade on BA and IB only.

The rest currently don't allow it. Many hoped with the JBV with JL that it was a possibility, but that took effect 4/1 and no news yet. Hopefully closer cooperation in the coming years will see more metal neutrality for upgrade instruments.

8. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a related question please.

I'm AA Gold, but BAEC Blue - if I use BAEC miles to fly on AA will I be able to use my AA Goldness and select an exit row on AA.com after BA issues my ticket? And will I get priority boarding?

TIA

9. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and IIRC mileage upgrades on BA are from full fare WT, WT+, or CW only, to the next highest class. Probably true on IB also, but I don't really remember.

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing here, but I think the only way your AA Goldness would do you any good would be if AA knew about your Gold status. To know about it, you would have to have your AA FF# in the PNR. BA would automatically put your BA FF# in the PNR when generating the ticket. You could call BA and ask them to put your AA # in, and ask for the AA PNR#, which will be different.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, IB upgrade awards with AA miles also require full fare Y.

Also BA's upgrade from WT goes to WT+ and not CW, which is rather meh......

12. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply.

What I had hoped was that after BA issues the ticket, that I could ask BA for the AA Record Locator (is that the PNR?) and then log onto AA. Since AA.com would recognize my status as usual, I could then (hopefully) pull up the flights and have access to selecting exit rows the way I can with AA issued tickets. Have any of you done this?

I think what gemac is suggesting pertains to AA allowing me priority boarding? Or am I misreading the post?

13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the PNR is the AA Record Locator. You can ask BA for it, and use it to pull up the flights on AA.com. I don't know if AA.com will then let you select exit rows or not - I think not, I think it drives off of the FF# in the Record Locator, if it didn't, I would be able to pull up the PNR that I am not flying on for friends and assign them exit row seats. Try it, if you can't assign exit row seats, you will have to get your AA # in the record.

You definitely won't get priority boarding without your AA# in the record.

14. sk3

sk3 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you kindly for spelling this out for me, it's much appreciated.