AA matches the DL sale to Europe - travel as soon as next weekend $650

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Aug 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I jumped on this right away when I saw fares as low as $650. I'm flying on a weekend, though, so paying a little more for that and also to stay on AA metal on the domestic segments for a shot at two upgrades.

Knew about the Delta sale on Thursday morning and was waiting to see if AA would match. Per the flight deal they did, but not from SFO for Bay Area travelers, so I'll be flying out of Sacramento. I know another Bay Area flyer that is working on a trip right now from San Jose.

Cities are limited and check out the two sections with departure airports here:

http://www.theflightdeal.com/2015/0...urich-brussels-roundtrip-including-all-taxes/

My total fare was $688 SMF-LAX-LHR (MCE seat assigned--my preferred routing now)-BRU and coming back AMS-PHL-DFW-SMF. Just have the one US segment AMS-PHL. I'm out of systemwides until the new ones come in after this trip so the MCE seat was a priority.

Will cross 100K with this trip with 3 more international trips already booked through year end.

One new thing I did notice, when selecting seats, is that the US flight AMS=PHL charges elites $99 for a small section of seats up front in coach. I'm right behind there in a section that is not surcharged. Never ran into that on AA metal as an elite.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    US always had some non-elite-free "premium" seats (often just close to front), but there are enough other elite-free options. Presumably that should go away with one reservation system.

Doing a few searches, there are plenty of BA routings too for the same low price. If you're out of systemwides (or close to it), that maybe a better routing/lounge compared to connecting in PHL.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stand a good chance as an EXP of having PHL-DFW-SMF upgraded, so it's worth the risk to book that routing coming home for the upgrades. I do have another itinerary in December coming home from AMS with friends and I'll be on the BA LHR-SFO there as I can't upgrade both of them on AA domestic segments.

On the way over, an MCE seat on the AA 777-300 is my best coach option right now. I flew that LAX-LHR a few months ago and really enoyed that small section with the extra legroom and one less seat per row, enough that I'll go out of my way to book that flight.

uggboy, brodyf and Newscience like this.