AA Matches Change Fee Increase by UA/US/DL, Now $200

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

No shocker really, since when UA first raised their fee AA's response was pretty much "oh we like to be competitive.....".

Looks like the fee only applies to tickets within the domestic US, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Caribbean, and Central America. Other international locations are up to $300.

2. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only the places I fly to, lol. Makes the choice essential and plus tickets more interesting.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can guarantee AA will be heavily pushing the idea of these Choice fares when people start to get rankled over this increase.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, this really makes those choice fares so much better. You even get a 50% mileage bonus!

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You'd need be making changes fairly frequently in your travels to make the long term investment worth it though. I've only ever needed to change 2-3 tickets in my entire FFer career. Even with the higher fees, since I'm a leisure traveler, it makes sense for me to book lowest Y fare.

Business travelers who finish meetings early or frequently change plans? They might see some value in switching to Choice fares.

icurhere2 and basiface like this.
  6. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I'm traveling for work I will usually buy the choice fares... my employer pays for it and that way I can benefit from the same day confirmed benefit in case I want to make same day flight changes. So all in all the choice packages make total sense for me when I'm flying for work.

7. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wish all employers offered the option ... I've got to go through all of the red tape just to book any flight over $150, and then book the lowest fare regardless of carrier. :(

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One of the few nice perks of traveling on government fares is the flexibility it allows me when I do need to make a change. No questions asked, no issues as long as inventory is available.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    You must go through a lot of red tape these days since $150 doesn't usually get you too far I'd imagine!

10. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell me about it. Just imagine flying between 35-50k miles per year, all domestic, and every time I need to go somewhere I have to go through some stupid company-required travel portal to find the lowest airfare available (after doing my own independent search first), then wait 12-24 hours for approval, then log back in to assign my seat, etc. etc. etc. What a hassle it's been for the last 3 years when they instituted this "new and improved" cost control policy!

Prior to that, I could book aa.com direct, enter in my promo code, and badda bing, I was ready to fly.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. The majority of my travel is leisure and I've never needed to change a ticket to a different day. That's why I still buy the cheapest ticket. Confirmed standby would be nice though. In the 5 years I've been flying a lot I've only missed one flight I was standing by on so I'm comfortable with the free same day standby that comes with my status.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    With all these increases in change fees, I can see more corporations adjusting corporate policy to allow for these choice fares since many business travelers do tend to see changes to their itineraries.

So many business travelers are already waiting til the last minute to book travel to avoid these fees, it may make more sense to book earlier with a choice fare than to wait and book within 7 or fewer days to ensure that a change won't occur.

Philphactor likes this.
  13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I buy choice fares more often now as I change flights relatively more frequently. When I know the flight isn't going to change (static plans) I'll purchase the lowest fare. When I'm not sure or it could change, Choice becomes effective. The $200 change fee makes it much more affordable.

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    RDM, EQM or both?

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Choice fare bonuses are RDM.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  16. Captain Oveur