aa main cabin extra vs exit row

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by marcwint55, Nov 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if the main cabin extra has more or less leg room than the exit row?

zpaul likes this.
  2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just flew on a 767 and a 757 this last weekend and it looks about the same. I don't see an advantage to the exit rows within "Main Cabin Extra" and I'd rather take the non-exit row so that I can get the regular food tray and seat recline. :)

zpaul, sobore and marcwint55 like this.
  3. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noted this walking back toward exit rows on a 757 from LAX to DFW. The Main Cabin Extra looked like plenty of room (maybe slightly less than exit row). I too would select Main Cabin Extra for the regular food tray vs in-armrest tray.

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I can't compare MCE seating to MCE Exit row seating, I was recently on a 757 that had MCE, and the legroom of a regular MCE row is very noticable.

As someone that typically sits in exit rows while in Y aboard the Super 80's, while I didn't have a tap measurer on me, it felt like there was the same pitch, if not greater pitch in the MCE section of a 757 than that of row 20/21 of a Super 80.

MCE is a welcome change, and hopefully it stays!

zpaul and marcwint55 like this.
  5. pantanal

pantanal Active Member

Status Points:
    How would you compare it with United economy plus?

zpaul likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Flew on a MCE 737 today. Leg room looked decent and people seemed happy with it, and I didn't mind being in the back of the bus after missing my 3rd (or is it 4th?) upgrade of the year.

The rows behind me had the infamous blocked middle seat, a la European business class. I'd much prefer those seats after seeing them in person to the exit row or any MCE seat. I'm short and don't really need additional leg room, but the extra shoulder room offered by the blocked middle seat would be a big plus if the F upgrade didn't come through.

zpaul and Juanefny like this.
  7. theYipster
    Original Member

theYipster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahoy! I'm a current Delta Diamond considering a change to AA in anticipation of significantly increased worldwide travel next year. For those that are familiar with Delta's Economy Comfort, how does MCE compare in terms of legroom? Also does MCE offer additional recline like the international version of EC?

The few times I've flown in a non bulkhead or non exit row Delta EC seat, I've found legroom, while improved over regular coach, to not be as good as most exit row seats.

zpaul likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you take exit row vs MCE middle seat in 767?

zpaul likes this.
  9. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heck no, MCE is way better because it's almost the same amount of leg room and the pitch is the same (especially on the 767). Plus you get the full tray and recline. :)

zpaul and edekba like this.
  10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    But then i'm stuck between two ppl =( hahahah

zpaul and malikguy like this.
  11. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Missed that part... Yuck, then go with the exit row, lol. I don't know, that would be a tough decision for me honestly. :)

12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Woot thanks to Malik on Saturday I'll be in MCE LGA - MIA & Exit Row MIA - LAX

I'll let you know what my opinions are since they'll be back to back.

13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    so I just took a MCE LGA - MIA (Seat 15F on a 752) & then an exit row MIA - LAX (Seat 21a on a 763). Leg/Knee Space wise ... were about equal. That being said, I would prolly take the MCE as the Exit row seat has the in arm tray etc.

Below pics are from MCE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do have a question ... on my MIA - LAX flight ... my seat recline button was stuck. It was constantly depressed so my chair would constantly lean back if i sat back. I told the flight attendant this and she said it was normal. However my seatmate didn't have this problem ... thus Is this normal?!?

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is normal in terms of seat malfunctions. :)

zpaul, estnet, edekba and 1 other person like this.
  15. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    or for that seat!

16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh okay. I thought I had a malfunction ... It was kinda weird, since I've never been in a exit row for it to be like that. During takeoff my seat leaned back and I was like wtf?

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think you misunderstood. They were being sarcastic. Your seat was broken, it's just normal for AA to have broken seats. ;)

zpaul, edekba and malikguy like this.
  18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh I tried to find someone at LAX afterwards to let them know, but nobody was around. Wondering if its even worth it to let them know about it, but sounds like its a normal thing on AA :(

19. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just flew SCL-DFW and back a few times on 767s in both MCE and exit rows and noticed a few things:
    • The exit rows do get cold during flight; MCE not so much.
    • Row 12 of MCE (the second of the three MCE rows in the forward "mini-cabin") has plenty of room to stretch out, full recline, but doesn't have a window.
    • Row 11 (or first row of MCE, might be 10 since they took a row out but left original numbering) is the bulkhead and seemed to have an exceptional amount of space between the seat and the bulkhead - more than I've seen on any recent flight. Made a note to self that those look like the best seats for leg room, but the tray table is in the armrest which is obviously an important point to some.
    • Being toward the front of the aircraft got me out of it faster when there were IRROPS and a voucher for the Grand Hyatt DFW while those further back got vouchers to an off-site, not-so-great hotel.
    These are just some observations for the 767s. Overall I prefer the forward MCE "mini-cabin" to exit.
    Hope this helps!

20. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since it looks like I may miss at least one upgrade over the next couple of weeks... just out of curiosity, do the MCE seats look the same? DL's seats actually say Economy Plus on them (or whatever their program is called)

zpaul likes this.
  21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The seats look the same but there are stickers under the bins that denote the rows with MCE. See picture below. The stickers use the new blue tint we've been seeing with AA branding lately.

399848_10151459044842874_557555905_n.jpg

zpaul and flyforawg like this.
  22. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are not hung up on the seat tray I would recommend bulkhead MCE on 767 OGG-DFW over exit row.

zpaul likes this.
  23. jlc10023

jlc10023 New Member

Status Points:
    I just flew to London on a new 777 (exit row in first economy mini cabin) and seat reclined OK. Incredible amount of legroom. IN fact, at one point people were gathering there to visit - very annoying. Then I returned on a 767 and AA had changed the plane (from a 777) and I was in the first (bulkhead) seat in the second economy cabin. The seat did not fully recline (none of them did) so although there was a lot of legroom, I could not lean back.

zpaul likes this.
  24. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially with plane changes, seatguru is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

zpaul likes this.
  25. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can compare DL EC and AA EC on the 767-300ER - I think AA's EC provides more space between seats than DL.

zpaul and flyforawg like this.