AA Magazines: Be Careful with Miles + Cash Offer

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by miketown, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miketown
    Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I used the Miles + Cash option for some magazines to extend the life of my AA Miles. Last week, I was charged full price for a subscription renewal.

It took a while on the phone w/ Points.com (listening to 3 counter-offers after I canceled), but they were able to refund the money.

Just a heads up on this possible pain.

uggboy likes this.
  2. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree the Miles + Cash option plays out like a scam and AA should just drop it from the magazine offerings. Having said that, you should have gotten a postcard a couple of months before the auto charge went through notifying you of the impending charge and an opportunity to cancel. Of course, it does not help that the postcard looks like any other piece of junk mail.

uggboy, RonK973 and DestinationDavid like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up!!

:)

uggboy likes this.
  4. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    With respect to all discount magazine offerings, I am finding this to be more and more the trend--provide a substantial discount or gift for signing up, but condition the subscription offer to a full charge renewal on the credit card that you use on the original offer. I have been tempted to take up Wall Street Journal and Economist offers at deep discounts, but back out after reading the small print.

uggboy and _kurt like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a $14 bill from my newspaper subscription after it was supposed to end. I called and explained the subscription was purchased with miles and I did not want to extend it. They still sent several more bills and called my home several more times. I won't be redeeming miles for a newspaper subscription ever again. :mad:

uggboy likes this.
  6. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have a Citi card, it may help to use a virtual account number with an expiration date of 2 months.

uggboy, fotosdelviaje and _kurt like this.
  7. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll just point out that ValueMags does *not* do this. Sometimes their price is competitive (given the $23 miles/dollar) and sometimes it is not, but they never surprise you with auto-renewal.

But this is still a good idea with any merchant...

wrxmom and uggboy like this.
  8. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of those old 20 albums (yes, LP albums) for $5 offers. It's where I first learned about fine print and those sneaky clauses...

9. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reminds me of those old 20 albums (yes, LP albums) for $5 offers. It's where I first learned about fine print and those sneaky clauses...

10. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points: