AA Launches More New Routes: LAX-RDU, JFK-IAH, MIA-FDF, MIA-PDP

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Dec 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

We're kicking off 2013 by adding new routes to our ever-expanding network, making it easier than ever to travel throughout the United States and beyond.

Enjoy more options from our Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK) hubs to new destinations throughout the United States. Beginning December 23, 2012, you can book travel between:

Los Angeles and Raleigh, North Carolina (RDU) (Beginning April 2, 2013)
    New York (JFK) and Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) (Beginning April 2, 2013)

Plus, we're expanding our presence in the Caribbean to bring you new service between:

Miami (MIA) and Martinique (FDF) (Beginning April 6, 2013)
    Miami and Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP) (Beginning April 6, 2013)

Rob, rwoman, wrxmom and 4 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ever-expanding network? What phrase do they use when they cancel a route such as BOS-LHR? ;)

Love our new avatar.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No press release for that of course. I suppose they could argue that they're still flying it, just with BA metal, similar to how they poached a daily frequency between MIA and LHR from BA, but..... yeah...... haha

And thanks. ;)

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised that a LAX-RDU does not exist already, considering how prominently both cities figure in the AA route map.

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It did a few years back, but they cancelled it when RDU was dehubbed, IIRC. I did not look that up, so I am not 100% positive.

perryplatypus likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It dos on DL. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the 'adding' part!

Digesting this in press release bits and pieces is too much marketing for me. I don't suppose anyone has posted a chart somewhere showing clearly if the ever shrinking AA of late is growing or flattening out?

hulagrrl210 and jbcarioca like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Clearly there was a retreat for awhile, but I believe the movement is now toward growth and it will continue to move that way. At least that's my hope.

jbcarioca and hulagrrl210 like this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or ORD-DEL?
    I know it was a while ago, but I was so ready to leave UA for them before that happened...

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The actual numbers do not show shrinkage at all, but a very slight increase. That is true whether you look at RPM or ASM. However, the details show why, depending on where you're flying, you may have a different impression.
    Taking only November 2012 (the rest of 2012, so far is compatible with this inference, btw) AAdomestic US RPM was about 5.9bn, down from the 6.1 bn in Nov 2011. International is different. International RPM grew 4.7% in Nov 2012, over 2011, from 3.77bn to 3.88 bn.
    (this information is publicly available, but it is tough to find without paying hefty prices. I pay.)

There is no shrinking AA nor has there been, but there has been a slight shift in capacity and traffic from domestic to international. That reflected pretty accurately what has happened elsewhere as international traffic has held up better than US domestic traffic has during the recession. That trend is clearly visible in route announcements as AA leaves marginal routes for more lucrative ones. The BOS-LHR and ORD-DEL cases are good examples. Nothing was wrong with either, but both were less advantageous than were other uses for the same aircraft and resources.

Neither AA nor anybody else these days is hanging on to less profitable routes in hopes of improving results. Even EK has dropped routes and reduced capacity on unprofitable routes.

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't think anyone meant contraction regarding ASM and RPM. Just route network.

I'd disagree with your "never was" statement and say for a period AA certainly was cutting routes (DEL, BRU, FRA, BUD, routes from SJU, etc), whether it was because they were unprofitable or lost partners. The company's goal is clearly to grow going forward though, evidenced by recent announcements and Horton's leaked PowerPoint from last week.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope I made it clear that the US routes certainly had declined, and route data proves that clearly. Not so internationally where the biggest news was dropping India and Boston routes and deploying to more lucrative areas. Rereading, I realize I did not do a good job with clarity.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd still respectfully quibble that the idea that AA's international routes did not see a period of retraction isn't solid. Losing ORD-DEL was big, and the decision to drop AA metal on BOS-LHR and codeshare on BA's increased frequencies also significant, but it certainly doesn't represent the totality of loss to the route map in the last year or two. ORD-BRU, ORD-FRA, JFK-BUD, JFK-BRU come to mind. Even going back a bit further we see DME, NGO, KIX, TPE, etc. In my eyes, without a doubt, AA's route map was shrinking for awhile.

Is that the case now? No, I see growth in the opposite direction. ICN, DUS, CWB, and POA are set to launch in 2013. Additional medium and short haul flights domestically and in the Caribbean are coming, as well as new routes to existing destinations like DUB and BOG. And Horton's leaked presentation indicated that we can expect to see quite a bit more growth on the AA route map between now and 2017. But this is all very recent, and doesn't negate what was, IMHO, a period of less access on the AA map.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to take a look at this. Do you happen to have a link?

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca and John777 like this.
  16. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new route specifics are redacted from the presentation but it's well worth reading.

Rob likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rob likes this.
  18. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The presentation was given by AA to the union, and someone at that level leaked the document. Knowing the likelihood things such as this would be leaked, AA edits documents that are distributed outside of their control.

jbcarioca and basiface like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that a fair number of the points were about positive changes that were conditional on pilot union agreement AMR was wise to redact the content. The biggest issue AFAIK is the B787 order, which was an MOU rather than a firm order, with the firm order dependent on pilot approval of work rule changes. As we all know AMR shows them as "planned" and Boeing apparently shows them as orders so the intentions are transparently clear.

21. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    The single statement that stood out to me was the outsourcing of maintenance. I heard rumblings a while back of AA considering switching to an overseas contractor, but that never happened as far as I know (which is very little), any details available on that?
    This is an interesting document I'm surprised there's no thread on it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maintenance in general or specific aircraft? AA has recently switched maintenance of the 777 to HAECO which is based in HKG and provides aircraft services to many carriers and is owned by Swire (i.e. the group that owns CX).

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general. They closed one of their Texas bases and had layoffs in TUL. Are they just trimming some fat or making some major moves?

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMR is the last major US airline to do all maintenance in-house. HAECO is regarded as the best, or one of the best, major maintenance companies worldwide. AMR is NOT outsourcing all 777 maintenance but heavy maintenance (often called "letter checks", as in "D" for example. HAECO sometimes has price advantage but their big claims to fame is high quality and adherence to scheduling commitments, a huge item when the cost of downtime is considered.

BTW, AMR already has included in their B787 deal a Boeing contract for heavy maintenance on those aircraft. HAECO surely will be in the running for B787 work from Boeing and from B787 operators also.
    http://www.haeco.com

I have visited HAECO facilities for B747-400. They are very impressive IMHO. They certainly seem better organized than have the AMR Alliance facilities which I also have visited, seeing the B767 work when I visited them. HAECO cleanliness and orderliness are most impressive. I am not qualified to judge them, of course, but the overall sense of professionalism at HAECO gave me a real sense of confidence.

basiface likes this.
  25. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great! When I fly to RDU this fall I can book JFK-LAX-RDU for MR :D

jbcarioca likes this.