AA/JL Offers First Joint Lounge @ HNL

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Titans26, Nov 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    hulagrrl210 and alohastephen like this.
  2. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The instant benefit is how far out of the way the Admirals Club is currently from the AA gates, the JAL lounge is located near the gardens and easily accessible. I think it has better natural light, so I consider it an upgrade for those 2 reasons.

3. BrewerSEA

BrewerSEA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a better location (soooo much closer to the AA gates), but I wonder what effect this will have on the Qantas Club. Before this the AC/QC was a joint-operated lounge. As there is only one QF flight per day I doubt they would keep it open. Perhaps they are just not mentioning QF in this press release and the relationship will stay the same albeit at the Sakura Lounge.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This will certainly please many AA elites who were always trying to come up with creative excuses to enter the JL lounge in HNL without being on an international itinerary.... :)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. worldwidedreamer

worldwidedreamer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does is have showers? Taking a nice shower after a long last day on the beach is/was heavenly.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Never used it, so no idea, but typically I just ask for a hospitality room from my hotel to freshen up before heading to the airport. Haven't had any problems getting one so far!

alohastephen likes this.
  7. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's great. The AA lounge is in the middle of nowhere.

alohastephen likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just realized this might mean some or most (?) of the HNL AC AAngels might now be unemployed. I really enjoyed their service.

Kaanapali likes this.
  9. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree - they are amongst the nicest in the network.

Kaanapali likes this.
  10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like to stretch my legs a bit before a 5-9 hjour flight, or after one if I am connecting. A 5 minute walk doesn't hurt most people.

11. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the HNL AC AAngels being great - am hopeful they will be kept on.

For those unfamiliar with HNL airport...or the directions indicated in the press release...the lounge will be where the JAL lounge is indicated below (third floor)
    [​IMG]

12. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was there I had just had a hip replacement and was getting around on crutches. It was quite a bit more than a five minute walk.

13. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why I said "most people". Were you able to flag down a cart?

14. danasbox

danasbox Member

Status Points:
    I just flew through HNL. There was nothing stating the AC change in the airport. We followed the old AC signs to the lower outdoor court and walked all around. Then we found the coffee shop where the JAL lounge was and went in. To AC credit they are sending all AC members traveling through HNL an email about the change. The lounge is nothing to write home about, but the lady working there was super nice to us and really a pleasant surprise.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't the old AC actually UP an elevator? Why would the signs lead down to a lower court? :confused:

16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SkyClub was downstairs in a damp, musty room. I thought I saw at least one OW-affiliated lounge down there, too.

HNL is obviously a leisure market...unlikely to see much capex into lounges.

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how any of that explains why the signs would indicate the AC was in the basement though.

18. danasbox

danasbox Member

Status Points:
    Years ago it was up, your right. This last trip it was on the main floor in the JAL lounge. All signage said down in the courtyard, where it musty have been......;)

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was up the majority of this year, this change only happened 10 days ago. ;)

My question was about why your post said the "old AC signs" when it seems based on your story they actually changed the signs. So are you saying that HNL's signs to the AC lead to where the JL lounge is?

20. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about some or most, but I am sitting in this club right now and it is staffed by both AA and JAL ladies - at least two of those now on duty have AA badges on, including Armie (sp?), the real gem who was at the old (QF) club last time I was there. When I asked Armie if she minded working on Christmas, she said not really, she was just glad to have a job. So -- again, don't know about some or most -- but there are still some AAngels, including this real gem.

She gave me a pretty thorough orientation, including that there are two sides in the club, that one can walk from one to the other in the back, and gave me the Sakura Lounge wi-fi and password info without me even asking. She said she'd like to give me a physical tour but had to remain at her desk. She asked me if I had had trouble finding it, as many had. I told her I had found a heavily accented Securitas guard downstairs who told me to go to the Kona Blue and walk upstairs. I smiled when I realized "Kona Blue" meant "Kona Brew" and found it easily, but Armie said not all members have that success. Referring to the seemingly-halfway-to-Australia location of the old club, Armie said "we're location friendly now, but hard to find."

To answer other questions on this thread, no, no showers I see. There are not even any restrooms - instead you go out the club and to facilities down the hall. And yes, it is upstairs and down a hall, not main level. There is some (mainly paper) signage, better than nothing but not superb. The club does have very good natural light. The snacks, soup and refresher towels, etc., seem of the JL rather than traditional Admirals style, which is fine. I had no trouble finding a seat and desk to use my laptop, but the place has been filling up pretty steadily with folks apparently waiting on a late-afternoon JL flight, and may have to move some of my belongings to make room for another if this keeps up.

Overall I agree with the comment on here that overall it, physically, nothing to write home about (although I guess I am writing "home" with this post, ha ha). The lounge looks somewhat dated. But it certainly is not a negative experience, either. And the AA personnel are just fine. (Haven't dealt with any JL folks this afternoon.)

TheBeerHunter likes this.