AA: JFK - DFW (and vice versa) $138 r/t.

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by tfd, Dec 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tfd

tfd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Until February 28th
    Tue/Wed/Sat departures

5.0 CPM. Must go to JFK. 21 day advance purchase.

Not really a mileage run.. but NYC-DFW isnt really this cheap.

malikguy, Nelumbo and OceanBreezes like this.
  2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just bought a few of these with same-day return. Going to try same-day stand-by for connecting flights. If it works, I'll double the miles.

DFW - FLL - JFK - LAX or SEA - DFW

Thanks for the heads up!

OceanBreezes likes this.
  3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, this fare deal looks like it is no longer available, but I did snap up three RT tickets for next year:

01/19/13 (same-day return) $138.00
    01/26/13 (same-day return) $138.00
    02/02/13 (same-day return) $138.00

The plan is to do SDC's on all of these flights. The mileage on the originally booked flight is 2,782 RT. If I am able to successfully SDC on both legs, I will get 5,897 RT bringing the cost to 2.34 CPM. Not great, but not bad IMO. ;)

Routing:
    DFW - FLL - JFK - LAX - DFW

I'll let everyone know how things turn out!

miles and smiles likes this.
  4. Millennium Flyer

Millennium Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    How can you pull off that kind of routing through SDC? Will this be allowed given the routing rules? I'm intrigued by your plan and would love to learn how this can be done.

5. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's available through ITA or AA's website, then it's eligible for SDC or same-day standby. As an elite, it is free of charge for stand-by and $75 if you want SDC (must be within 12 hours of the flight). There are no restrictions that I know of (nor have the AA reps told me of). :)

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. Millennium Flyer

Status Points:
    This seems like an excellent strategy when mileage running. As an example, if you are confirmed on a JFK-DFW flight, you simply ask at the airport if they're able to ticket you as a standby or SDC passenger on the JFK-FLL and FLL-DFW flights? Is there ever any resistance when the routing is convoluted? While the routing may appear on ITA/AA.com, the fare would have been exponentially higher.

7. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was told that sometimes certain routes or flights will not show up for SDC by default and you have to "force" the route in, but as long as the route is valid, it is eligible for SDC regardless of the fare difference. I can see how some gate agents could potentially get confused or mixed up (hence resistance), but I would personally see a much larger issue with more uncommon routing with more than 1 connection such as DFW - ORD (DFW - MIA - JFK - ORD). Since those types of routes are generally unpublished and only found on ITA, it may cause much more confusion. We'll see how things turn out from the actually experience in of itself.

8. Millennium Flyer

Status Points:
    Hey Malikguy...

How did the SDCs turn out on these flights? Has this proven to be an effective strategy? Have you been able to upgrade on your standby flights?

9. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my third and final flight on this fare. Once we get to 10k, I'll log in on the lappy and post my results.

10. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, so, here's the low down. When attempting to stand-by or even SDC, I found two very restrictive fare rules.

1) The flight must be non-stop. There goes the connecting flight option...
    2) The flight route must include JFK airport, there goes same city end-points (LGA & EWR).
    3) There's only one flight in to JFK and one flight out, so no options based on these fare rules.

The Airport Experience
    Agents clearly saw the non-stop restriction but they did not always catch the JFK restriction. Some agents would call the rate desk and then they informed them of the restriction, but then on to the next GA and as long as they didn't call the rate desk, I was at least able to stand-by to flights with better upgrade opportunity in to LGA or EWR.

Lastly, regarding the actual stand-by, some agents would follow the standard stand-by procedure and add my to the list which would toast my upgrade odds, but some kind GA's would actual reissue my ticket and confirm me on the flight immediately and then add me to the upgrade list which put me into regular priority. Normally if you stand-by for a flight, you will drop to the bottom of the list behind everyone that is confirmed on the flight and on the upgrade list.

I learned that you can kindly request to be confirmed on the flight instead of stand-by, but this is strictly at the GA's discretion to oblige.

With all this being said, I am now a happy premium subscriber to ExpertFlyer. Now I can check the fare rules and routing in full detail before booking. ;)

perryplatypus likes this.
  11. VIP

VIP Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what kind of deals have you come across today/month

OceanBreezes likes this.