AA itinerary & terminal changes, should I worry...??

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gaucho, Sep 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so I went out of my way to fly AA on this complicated US trip that I have, and it seems that my itin has a fair amount of terminal changes. While I think its safe to assume that if the AA website gave me these flight options and allowed me to issue my ticket then my connections are "legal", I would appreciate it if the resident AA gurus would comment on how tight things can be... please bear in mind that I have no status and this means that my seat selection options were not stellar... for some of my flights Im seated about 70% into the back of the aircraft.... if you guys think there is one connection that will be tight, please let me know.

Here is my complete itin......

SEP28 AA2058 SFO-DFW 0605am - 1135am
    SEP28 AA2855 DFW-HOU 0115pm - 225pm
    SEP29 AA3210 HOU-DFW 0915am - 1025am
    SEP29 AA1040 DFW-MCI 1115am - 1245pm
    SEP30 AA1217 MCI-DFW 0935am - 1115am
    SEP30 AA2855 DFW-HOU 0115pm - 225pm
    OCT03 AA3216 HOU-DFW 1150am - 100pm
    OCT03 AA1309 DFW-SFO 0200pm - 330pm

I would love to say that not checking bags was an option... but its not. I wonder if this further complicates things...?

Any tips & advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho

2. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly through DFW about 15-20 times a year. The only flight/connection that looks tight is the HOU-DFW connecting to DFW-MCI. That said, the Skylink tram system they have is pretty darn efficient. You can go between the furthest terminals within 10-15 minutes. So, if your inbound flight is on time, you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!

Sagy likes this.
  3. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    My mantra. Alas it's not been the case the last couple of times I transited DFW. :(

4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks..... well, my inbound flights are some of the earliest departures in the morning so I thought that this would reduce chances of delays as the aircraft for these departures will usually have "slept" at my departure airport..... dont know if there is much science behind my reasoning but thats the way I thought this out.....

5. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Assuming that flights are on-time (or close) you should be fine. Just this week my DCA-DFW flight was on-time into the D concourse & the connection was out of C. It was a 10 minute walk from the "D" arrival gate over the skybridge to C12.... plenty of time to take the earlier connection (which I turned down because there was no overhead space). 50 minutes to an hour is plenty of time at DFW.... even for checked bags.

6. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Personally, I would have no worries with that schedule ESPECIALLY with checked bags. If anything, I'd be anxious about getting there before the flight started boarding so I was assured of having my bag in the overhead above me exactly where I want it, but changing flights with NO bags would be a breeze with that itinerary (assuming normal operations) and you'd probably even have time to stop and grab a cup of coffee for the flight since you won't have to worry about boarding first.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. worst case, you jump on the next flight. with no other flights that day on your itinerary, nothing else to worry about.

Gaucho likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Unless he's got meetings to make ;)

9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I notice the flight out of Houston the morning you transit Dallas-Fort Worthless for Kansas City is an American Eagle flight. Thus I would like to echo Techgirl in that you *do* want to check bags, though perhaps for an additional reason than Techgirl brought up. Specifically, Eagle flights have very tight overhead space, and thus the airline "offers" (mandates) "Valet" service for bags that would fit in most overheads, but not in their little planes. What "Valet" means is that you put your carry-on on a cart (in Houston) right before getting on the plane from the Jetway, then in DFW you have to stand in the Jetway and wait until they bring up all the "Valet" bags. This can take some time. So, don't do it that morning. Don't take anything with you onboard other than really small stuff, and thus you won't have to stand in the DFW Jetway and wait. Since you are planning to check bags anyway, this should not be a problem. (I trust you realize that since you say you don't have Elite status, there will be a checked baggage fee unless you qualify for some other exception I don't know about.)

Now, history is not always a good guide. But... I just checked AA's flight status page for that morning flight out of Houston, and both yesterday and today it was a few minutes eAArly! So while nothing is 100% I agree with most on here that you'll make it. Enjoy your trip,

zpaul and Gaucho like this.
  10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Milady.... understood about the overhead space (this is less of a concern for me as I will not have a rollaboard, only a medium sized Tumi laptop case). Now, just so I understand your checked bags concept... are you saying that if I do check bags this will be better than if I do not check bags...? Ive just gotten up, maybe I need my coffee to reason properly, but Im not sure I understood your point related to checking bags.....

Thanks!!!

11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well... this is not an option as I do have meetings to make on time.....

12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for taking time to comment here, greatly appreciated. The only thing I will want to take onboard the Eagle flights is a medium sized Tumi laptop bag, its not one of those with wheels on it.... I assume this will be ok to bring onboard, or...?

On the baggage fee issue, dont I get 1 (one) bag free of charge...? Or does AA now want bag fees even for the 1st bag..????

Thanks.

13. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the AA baggage policy. As I read it, it is $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second. If yours is a full-fare economy ticket (usually Y class, I think), you are exempt from the fee on the first two bags. That exemption also applies if you are an elite flyer with AA, which you say you aren't. There are various other exceptions, which you can read by clicking "exceptions" in the chart text. http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aacom_services_charges.jsp

Gaucho likes this.
  14. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Checking bags is a much better strategy than NOT checking bags in my opinion.

Gaucho likes this.
  15. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take it you're looking for segments (or really like HOU), as if you don't have status, I believe you'll earn actual miles DFW-HOU, rather than the 500 minimum.
    *Minimum mileage guarantee for travel on flights under 500 miles

Not sure if your interary is booked but f you're looking for segments you may be able to connect through ORD to/from MCI as well.

Gaucho likes this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not looking for segments, its just that Houston is my US home base and Im trying to get some sorr of One World status.... Hence the itinerary.

17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow.... Bag fee even for the first bag.... Well I have no choice I guess.... But this fee is going to add up... Grrrrrr

18. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grazie Milady.... will be checking one bag as its just too long a trip to go only carry on, and given my Eagle flights even if I went with a rollaboard it would have to be Valet checked.... Thanks !!

19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to beat a dead horse... and Im 200% pro capitalist and understand that airlines need to make money.... but not even giving one checked bag allowance is just a little too much.... where the heck are the consumer rights groups in the US... I mean, yes the airlines are private enterprise and Im usually strongly against government regulation, but it must also be said that the airlines do offer a publicservice so IMO one bag should be included even if you purchase a discounted fare.....

20. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    related to this baggage thing.... each bag can still weigh 50 pounds, or do domestic bags have a lower weight limit...?

21. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have the choice of Southwest Airlines, which does not charge a bag fee. Not that I disagree with you. However, there is a choice of airline that does not charge a fee. In a country without a real choice of airline, you have a stronger point. In a country where all the airlines charge the same or similar fee, you may have an antitrust argument (and that is almost the case here, as they follow each other like sheep), but since there's one left that doesn't charge (and they advertise like crazy that fact), the antitrust case probably fails.

Gaucho likes this.
  22. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Point well made.... you a lawyer...? Like I say, I like the point and its well argued... but still, no banana for you. Why... well because unless you can tell me that Southwest serves all the airports in the US, then these is a chance that consumers will not have the option of flying Southwest.... hmm, maybe I need to go to law school in the US and develop a practice litigating the airlines....???

23. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if Alaska Airlines doesn't charge fees only on its intra-Alaska services just to avoid public outrage and possible adverse legislation (in a state where you can't even drive, take a train, or a boat to many places).

Anyway, and I have no idea the answer, does AA sell some sort of priority package? If so, given the amount of flights, it might make sense. I'm not an AA flyer, so I cannot help you with these answers (and the ones here probably have status so don't need it).

Gaucho likes this.
  24. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes... I think that purchasing priority boarding on some of my tight connections may be a choice, but I dont see how this will help me with my baggage situation..... ah well, I dont have a choice now so Im pretty much screwed...

25. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, Southwest's route network is quite extensive, including a lot of service out of Houston (Hobby Airport), and you can get connections from there to cities you appear to be traveling to (San Francisco, often via Las Vegas, and Kansas City, often via Dallas Love Field). All that won't do boo for building OneWorld status, of course, because Southwest is not a part of that.. . . .

Now, as for going to law school and/or suing the airlines because of the baggage charge, I believe the correct word in Spanish is the same as it is in English: "¡No!"

It took 30 years or so, but one of the ways United States airlines reacted to deregulation and free-market moves in the late 1970s was to make most things ala carte. Separate charges for such things as meals, baggage, and pillows used to be unheard of, but the airlines said their experience in a free market showed them that consumers made their decisions off the base price -- the transportation of one human body, without food or baggage, etc., -- and that the free market was hypersensitive to price. So they reacted by keeping the base price as low as possible and charging ala carte for many other things. Look at what excursion fares were back in the 1970s vs. what they are now - even though fuel has skyrocketed in price - and this isn't collusion or conspiracy, it is ala carte pricing to keep the base fares amazingly low.

A lot of us don't like it. but it is what it is, and it's part of a free market. It's interesting that Southwest, of all companies, has made a stab at competitive advantage by not charging for baggage -- particularly interesting since it was the airline that was long known for no frills. Now that baggage has been defined as a frill, Southwest almost out-of-character for it is giving it away free. Rather amazing.

But I just don't see grounds for litigation here. A lot easier to earn elite status, or pay full economy fare, or buy a first-class or business-class ticket, or just pay the fee.

Finally, I doubt this is relevant but I will add it anyway. I see you are from EZE. If in fact you bought this AA transportation that will take you to San Francisco and Kansas City all on the same ticket from South America, and if that ticket was purchased before August 30, then you won't be charged that bag fee -- this is in the "fine print" exceptions that were attached to the AA baggage-fee policy I posted this morning.

Gaucho likes this.