AA is improving

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jbcarioca, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    After more than a year of not flying AA, and losing my EXP, reverting to lifetime PLT I was shamed into returning by Maya Liebman and the AAdvantage crew at the OWMD Launch Party, so I made a few rebookings. I have now flown a little more than 52,000 actual flight miles since November 1st. I still am now EXP again, but I'll be there soon it seems.

My observations are these. On balance customer treatment and onboard services are easily a match for any other US carrier and some things are better. DL treats Diamonds better than AA does EXP, but they truly are bad in the air. It is pointless to comment about UA. I even prefer AA to BA or IB. Then, there are all those FA's who still recognize me and slip me a Glenlivet promptly.

MIA is a madhouse, but that is a mark of success. Baggage service is far improved, and even the priority tags seem to usually work now. The push notices do work, every time.

So, there is the obvious issue of ancient aircraft and BK problems, but I am happy I have returned to AA and I'll be pleased when I get my EXP back.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had my first experience being recognized by an FA on a flight I took to CLE on Thursday. It was an odd feeling. She told me she remembered me because I always thank her during our flights and when I leave the plane, which admittedly made me feel good and endeared me further to AA.

I was once "recognized" by an FA on a flight to LAX but I don't count that. The FA thought I was a celebrity, which I clearly am not. It was actually quite funny to have her stop by my seat, thank me for being a customer, give me my connecting gate information personally, and then tell me she loved my "work". Awkward.

anabolism, dc_traveler, Sagy and 6 others like this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe she likes your work here on MP! ;)

4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking something similar.

In regards to jbcarioca's post, I have to agree AA service is not one of their failing points. I am less of a flying than many/most here only earning Plat on AA every year or two. But the service I get on the plane, on the ground and in the lounges is a point they should be proud of.

5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been very pleased with AA's service - made it easy to decide to remain a Plat member. I definitely prefer AA to BA or IB.

:)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    MP Celebrity. :cool:

zpaul, TheBeerHunter, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  7. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Due to the relative dearth of flights between JFK and SEA, I've ended up becoming acquainted with a New York based international FA who commutes to and from work on AA268/269, which is what I usually end up flying when going between Seattle and Europe. I've seen her maybe 10 times in the past couple of years. But I've never actually been on a flight that she's worked, so I'm not sure that counts.

zpaul, rwoman, canucklehead and 2 others like this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    The AA customer experience for EXP and all other members is like turning a light switch. After having EXP for over a month, I'm amazed by how well they treat EXPs, Plat and Gold is a whole different animal, some agents treat you well, but with EXP, the service is amazing. Compared to 1K (which is not a top tier level anymore), EXP is amazing for both upgrades and customer service across the board.

I especially love that EXP is the only tier to get complimentary upgrades. Before UA started the retarded unlimited upgrade crap for everyone, you could actually get an upgrade at the gate when you changed flights. Now, not a chance in hell. On AA, you still can. For a road warrior, that's huge.

Now, if AA could just improve their horrible on time statistics and also put in place good compensations for EXPs....

anabolism, Skye1, DCtrAAveler and 7 others like this.
  9. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tommy, thank you for good words on AA CS for EXP, it make me feel a bit better when sitting on the back of the plane for a few more trips before reaching EXP :)
    So far the AA GA in SFO and also at ORD have been good even for GM like me and able to move us upfront instead of seating on raw 18 move up to 7 or 8.

10. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've nothing to complain about AA regarding their treatment to elite on Planes! FAs are extreme friendly with me! Since I began flying on AA, March 2002, I noticed that that the customer service improved substancialy. In this category AA really deserves an applause!!!

11. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed that on an ORD-LGA I flew last summer. I was on an instant upgrade fare, and with first one cancellation and then a rebooking due to a delay, I was kinda surprised to still get a seat in F - and that the cabin wasn't empty.

Service was great as well, both the one I received on groud, and on board - well, except one lady at the CVG ticket counter, but I think she really meant well.

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  12. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add another data point, I want to mention that I emailed AA yesterday to ask if I could donate spare foreign change to Unicef at domestic (and not just foreign) Admirals Clubs.

In reply, they called me today. That hasn't happened before, and wasn't expected. I'm an expiring lowly Gold.

The answer is yes, by the way.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your comments, tommy, make me want to make one more myself. I just arrived from a MIA madhouse replete with a 3+ hour flight delay with lousy announcements and a checkin experience from hell. I still made the positive comments above because i thought yesterday was one of the usual disasters that seem an unavoidable part of flying.

So, yesterday afternoon I sent a small nastygram to AA Customer Service mentioning the two bad things, although I did add the spectacularly positive arrival experience in GIG, BTW. I asked for 10,000 EQM for the trouble. When I awakened today i checked my email and there was a reply from AA! They gave me 10,000 miles. :D How can anybody remain angry with customer response like that?

Thanks, AA!

14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    They gave you EQM for the trouble?

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    That just happened to me in the AC in DFW D. There was a whole lot of surreptitious (and not so subtle) looking and glancing at me going on...I checked my fly about 17 times, and really got uncomfortable until I decided to sit back, enjoy my 10:00am champagne and roll with it. Finally someone got the cojones to come up to me, say hello and comment on my "collector's item" TWA Ambassador's Club luggage tag on my carry-on and actually look at my name, then the gig was up. Fun for a while, though!

16. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. EQM, not RDM?

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any idea who they thought you were?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not necessarily "unlimited" upgrades that are the problem, it's clearing them too early. Hold some seats for assignment until checkin closes and that problem mostly goes away.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who did they think you were? "rpaul"?

20. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    No idea at all, and according to my friends I appear neither famous nor interesting at the best of times.

21. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Let me share a story with you, last month, Dec. 23 to be exact, I experienced a trouble with AA with the Check-in Agent. My itinerary was GIG - DFW - SEA - LAS - JFK - GIG. When I was in LAS I called the EXP desk and ask to change my ticket from coach to business and used 1 EVIP to upgrade to 1st Class. Travelling with me, but on a different record locator was my cousin, which is a State's District Attorney in GIG, and her daughter. So I paid the fare difference and they didn't charge me the change fee due to the aircraft change in JFK/GIG route, because when I bought the ticket it was a 763 and now is a 777. Ok so far, so I made my flight from LAS to JFK no problem whatsoever. After spending 4 days in the big apple, we we're ready to come back home. We arrived 4 hours prior to schedule departure time. My cousin and her daughter were in business and I was in first, so we proceed to the Flagshop Check-in in JFK. The agent took our passports and began the process with me, suddenly she told in a loud voice that there was something wrong with my reservation, and that I couldn't board the plane. I'm a EXP and travel a lot, I found that awkard, but asked for an explanation. She simply turn the screen to my and showed me! ( What a good explanation). Then I asked her once more what was the problem and then she told me I was crazy. I got surprised but stayed quiet, for those who know me I'm very calm person, then she started yelling at me telling me I couldn't use 1 EVIP to jump from coach to 1st Class. At this time I've identified the problem, and I told her I change my cabin class on the last leg of my itinerary to business and apply the upgrade. She became mad and told me I couldn't do that, and then I replied telling that I didn't do anything, EXP desk did. She got real mad and grab the phone and started talking to someone about me cheating the system, and she looked at me and told I had to pay the whole itinerary to business to then upgrade to First, which should be 3K dollars. My cousin got upset and asked for her passport to make the check-in with another agent, and surprisinly the current agent told her she would check her in because we, brazilians, like to cheat the system. Oh boy, my cousin exploded, she went behind the check-in desk, and got her passport and her daughter's. I became concerned, I was afraid they were going to start fighting with each other, but she managed to get those 2 passports and went to check-in on the gold counter to avoid any more conflicts. As my cousin make her way out of the flagship check-in the agent cursed her! After thar I got my phone and called the EXP desk and told them what was happening. Then they told me on the line they would resolve everything, apparently, when I made the change in LAS, they didn't charge my Credit Card because I flew the next day, and the system understand I "gave-up" on the cabin class change, but they were able to correct everything over the phone. When I was done, I told the agent to check again my reservation, and then she snapped, she told me I couldn't do that (yelling) and she called a supervisor, but the supervisor told her to check me in and clear me. She asked the supervisor if I was not going to be charged at least one penny, and the answer was NO. She simply grabbed her things and told she was not going to work there anymore, because this is the cause the airline was going to bankrupcy and left us. Another agent had to come and check me in. After all that, I was very sad and confused with the whole situation, but didn't feel the need to write to costume service, but my cousin did and they reply with a simply "I'm so sorry for your trouble", then I followed her and wrote to the CS telling them to compensate my cousin with at least a couple thousand miles, and don't want nothing, because as a business owner bad things happens, but she told me she was going to sue them here in Brazil, and she has a lot of proof to do so and get a good claim out of AA, but AA did nothing and repeat the "I'm sorry story". Now due to the lack of compensation by the airline, my cousin is going to court against them, and told me she will never fly with them again. I was like the AA lawyer telling her not to do that, that AA is a good company, but nothing seems to be changing her mind, and soon she will be filing the law suit against them and requested me as her witness, which by law I can't denied, I told AA that a couple of thousands miles would solve this unpleasant situation but they ignored me and decided to take that chance. Now, because of their choice to save some miles, they will at leat loose money with a lawyer in Brazil that I know it cost them at least 20K miles!

I still like AA, I know that was a unique situation, but they could be more reachable and thoughtful regarding this whole situation, and I told them to analyze it carefully, now I'll have to go to court and testify against them because they couldn't give here 2K* miles.

As an unexperienced flyer my cousin told me she would not pursue legal action if they deposit 2K miles for her! I backed her up, because I don't want to go to court, I spend a lot of time there already!

So, on this one, I really think the Customer Service failed, but I still like them for the history I have with AA.

travelmommy, aadmiral and jbcarioca like this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is really a sad story. I know such things happen. My own sad story yesterday began when I used our Brazilian passports to check in for the flight to brazil, but we did not have visa numbers because we are also US citizens. Then the agent became angry...

When i later left the line and entered again and presented our US passports first everything was sweetness and light. Not everyone seems to have a prejudice against brazilians but some people certainly do!
    You are much more easy-going than I am about that sort of thing.

23. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes I am, I even understand the stress of working the airport, but AA could overlook this and compensate a little my cousin so she wouldn't have to file a law suit against them and drag me to the courts with her! ;)

travelmommy, aadmiral and jbcarioca like this.
  24. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    "DYKWIA?!?!?!?"

TheBeerHunter and jbcarioca like this.
  25. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it weren't for Brasil (come guys, Eloy & jbcarioca you should be spelling it Brasil:D) American Airlines would be in a lot deeper situation. (full disclosure I'm a dual citizen, and hold passorts from USA and Brasil). All the flights from GIG and GRU are always packed and Brasilian's most often than not tend to buy the more expensive fares, with many buying full fare tickets in Business and First Class. In Miami it's the Brasilian's keeping the economy going. American Airlines should apologize to you and your family. Imagine if that would have happened at TAM in Rio or São Paulo with an American being called something bad, It would have made the USA media. If I win (which looks good) the dinner with the new Aadvantage President on the flight from JFK-LHR I'll bring this to her attention!