AA international check-in goofs

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by John Woram, Jan 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got the usual e-mail about my JFK/EZE flight this evening:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "You may now check in for your upcoming trip. (etc.)"
    So I bop on the check-in buttton, and . . .
    "Please go to the airport and check in with an agent. We are unable to process your online check-in."

Apparently AA doesn't know that AA won't do online check-ins for Argentina flights -- the check-in agent needs to verify the reciprocity fee has been paid before you're allowed aboard. I knew that up-front from previous trips, but I wonder how many pax will get a bit pi**ed off at this bogus message.

zpaul, Espan and Newscience like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Intl flyers should be used to it already, as it is not limited to EZE or to AA. Most destinations that require a visa would generally elicit a similar conflicting behavior irrespective of carrier...

zpaul and Espan like this.
  3. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. But if some filter (or whatever) intervenes when attempting an online check-in to EZE (or elsewhere where it's not allowed), why not apply that filter to the e-mail system instead? IOW, don't send an online check-in invitation for a destination where online check-in is verboten.

zpaul and daninstl like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be trivial to fix but it ain't a priority because it does get the passengers' attention "as is". This will happen every time documents must be physically checked by an agent. Below is what I got from UA prior to my own trip to EZE and to another intl destination requiring a visa. Like I said, for those who do quite a bit of intl traveling this is already a fact of life...

upload_2015-1-18_13-15-55.png

5. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right! But I was thinking more of those who don't do a lot of intl. traveling. The UA "Not A Boarding Pass" notification is one way to handle it. By contrast, AA's vague "We are unable to process your online check-in" gives the in-frequent flyer no clue what's wrong. Maybe nothing, if the pax already has the reciprocity fee receipt (or other document) on hand. Otherwise, there's a biggie problem at the airport when he/she is denied boarding.
    Now, here's hoping the weather clears up a tad and we get off the ground more-or-less on time.

zpaul and daninstl like this.
  6. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just suffered the same fate a few hours ago SJO>MIA tomorrow. I'm US citizen and wife/kid are Costa Rican. Used to have much better luck w/ intl check in, but lately can't seem to get it to work....

zpaul likes this.
  7. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless I'm on all AA metal with an AA ticket to somewhere like the EU I expect to get this error and I'm pleasantly surprised when I sometimes don't receive it :) It's unfortunate they seem to use the catch-call error message for known issues where some additional information would be helpful.

8. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a frequent traveler to EZE as well, I got into a rut with the flights and process and never really paid attention to the legislation, so when they began charging the reciprocity fee I was taken by surprise (especially coming from Chile, where they really have no reason to advertise new rules that don't apply to Chileans). Probably no need to explain my surprise when I received the message the first time, which prompted a call to the AA desk to make sure everything was in order. I would imagine that's the extent of what happens to an infrequent traveler, and once the call is made, fears are assuaged.