AA holding SWUs for what reason?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Seat6A, Feb 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there an official policy on SWUs that we can view?

I put a reservation on hold from LAX to EZE for July, a trip I want to make. Expert Flyer shows zero seats booked on te leg from LAX to EZE so it sounded ideal to me. The return shows several seats booked but I am willing to risk it. The fare is high and I can expect several price drops between now and July, but I am willing to buy it if I can confirm SWUs both ways.

The EP phone agent verified that the leg has zero seats sold but they also will not confirm anything other than Anytime Miles purchases. She said that even though I have the miles to buy it that she doesn’t recommend that I do. “We call them anytime limes for a reason, don’t use them for this flight right now,” she said. She went on to say that even the agents are unsure of what they are doing with SWUs while they are trying to merge the companies.

I appreciate her honest reply.

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only written material you'll find on systemwides is in the EXP guide, and it primarily mentions them being good on published fares and use subject to availability. There is no public material spelling out the when and why they clear, if that's what you're after.

You mention both systemwides and award travel. Which are you trying to do? If you're trying to use systemwides, there might be hidden EXP upgrade availability, but an agent would need to input your account number and see if anything comes up. In my case I've been willing to just get on the waitlist, but several times they have instantly cleared me when I call to waitlist because of the hidden availability.

Seat6A likes this.
  3. FlyerChrisK

FlyerChrisK Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, but if you're predicting they're going away in light of the merger, I think that's unlikely. United and Delta offer systemwide upgrades.

Seat maps are not an accurate way of determining how full (or empty) a flight is. It is very possible to ticket a seat without getting a seat assignment.

This is a new route and the consequent limited experience of revenue management on it (for demand for a nonstop) means AA has an interest in erring on the side of not giving away upgrades/saver awards too early.

While upgrades breed loyalty from us, an upgrade given to an elite when a paying J/F customer would have bought it represents a huge cost to the bottom line.

4. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you really think the price is going to drop and can't confirm SWU's right now then I think your unspoken plan to wait a bit is sound. When the price is right book and waitlist with a good chance of clearing.

Seat6A likes this.
  5. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I mention Anytime Awardss because they always show up on Expert Flyer and can almost always be booked. But you're also spending a lot of miles to use them.

6. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the time being, AAnytime awards can be booked for last seat availability. In other words, if there's a seat for sale, a member can use the AAnytime awards amount to book it.

Seat6A and flyforawg like this.
  7. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dude, I am so torn. I want to like your post since I do, but it's the answer I hate, though knew it to be true. They've set a price...