AA Heads to Trial over 9/11 Terror Attacks

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Sep 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LINK.

A federal judge has ordered American Airlines and United Airlines to stand trial in a lawsuit that alleges the airlines' lax security led to the 9-11 terror attacks.

The holder of leases at the World Trade Center sued the airlines over the September 2001 hijackings and attacks that destroyed the twin towers.

U.S. District Court Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein in New York ruled Tuesday against a request by the airlines to end the case because the lease holder had already recovered more from insurance policies than the leases were worth.

World Trade Center Properties LLC sued the airlines in 2008, claiming that their negligence allowed terrorists to board and hijack the planes that were crashed into the towers.

2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    And this is necessary why? Did AA and UA purposely hire Osama to inject some missing drama into air travel ?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if I am negligent with my car keys my kid drives my car into your house, you'd probably not argue that I didn't do that purposely and thus shouldn't be responsible.

Not saying that I particularly like this suit, and I haven't really tried to understand the details, but I don't think it's a question of AA/UA doing anything purposely.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, I think negligance is the path they'll probably go down. "AA/UA should have done more to prevent this", etc.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So because the law allows this suit, it should be persued? In my less than humble opinion, this is disgusting.

Absolutely, unequivocally, disgusting.

7. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn’t they argue it's not negligent being incapable of predicting future methods and events? If we had to protect ourselves against every possible negative outcome in life we'd never go anywhere or do anything.

Seems pointless as well. With hardened cockpit doors I'd think the 9/11 scenario is no longer really viable. Since the security gap is closed and they've already received compensation, what does this gain except payday for some legal firms and costs for taxpayers?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is another reason required?

9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any requirement by the insurance companies that says that they must pursue legal action for compensation?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that the FAA was the body that issued the edicts in how security was executed on 9/11 (and the airlines were the ones who hired the people to execute the SOP), I doubt this will be found in the plaintiff's favor.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course, and everyone who was hurt that day can sue WTC for not fortifying their buildings strongly enough to withstand a plane hit.

Seems like 9/11 is about to move from a national tragedy into routine drama. Happened to Titanic and Pearl Harbor, so why not 9/11?

When can we expect a Hollywood love story between two youngsters, one from a Republican family and the other Democrat, who used to work at WTC1 and WTC2, their dads serving with NYPD and NYFD respectively? For completeness add a villain character based in WTC7. :)

DCtrAAveler and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    And a theme song by Celine Dion? Oh, wait, it would have to be an American singer, wouldn't it? Bette Midler perhaps? :)

LETTERBOY and Stephen like this.
  13. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get with the times....Eminem

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Eminem hasn't had a Top 10 hit in about 2 years. Getting with the times would mean Justin Beiber, Nicki Minaj, or Katy Perry. :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    True but it needs that beat, I guess Justin feat someone can do it now...