AA has a DEQM/DRDM offer for ORD-LAX/SFO - will UA match?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gobluetwo, May 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/deqm-drdm-on-ord-lax-sfo-from-5-6-8-31.10282/

AA is running a DEQM and DRDM promo for IL and CA residents on flights between ORD and LAX/SFO. Let the speculation on whether UA matches officially begin. Chances seem low and, as luck would have it, I have no CA travel on the horizon. Promo period is May 6, 2011 and August 31, 2011 (must book and fly between those dates).

sdcarver likes this.
  2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be too surprised if they match, then again I am not going to hold my breath. It will be nice though as I could see myself talking advantage of this deal 2 or 3 times for summer trips.

sdcarver likes this.
  3. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sure hope they match...

sdcarver

4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised if I am excluded from this promo, if UA has one, since I am already over 100K :(

5. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Figures something like this would pop up once I move out of Chicago and quit doing California runs. Anyway, I'm guessing AA is running this specifically to go after UA pax, otherwise why these cities and not others.

gobluetwo likes this.
  6. jondav
    Original Member

jondav Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am guessing AA is taking proactive action against VX which begins service to/from ORD on May 25. Here is hoping UA takes the same protective stance.

Frequent Freak likes this.
  7. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's probably a better explanation. I don't think UA needs to dangle a carrot here anyway. Too many people locked into UA here I think, either due to corporate contracts, loyalty and/or desire to fly better aircraft (lots of widebodies on this route for UA, not so sure about AA/VX).

FrequentlyFlying likes this.
  8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA is taking a protective stance, just a different one: 16x daily frequencies SFO-ORD.

9. jondav
    Original Member

jondav Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha. True that. If this were the old pre SMI/J UA, I am sure we would have seen 2X EQM/RDM's. With the current management, I suspect we will not see many 2X promos moving forward.

10. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given the silence by UA thus far, I'm fairly certain they won't match the AA DEQM at this stage.

11. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was totally wrong:
    https://www.mileageplus.com/mp/promotionLearnMore.do?promoCode=MPD771&mypromoInd=Y

Ticketing dates: May 19, 2011 through August 31, 2011
    Travel dates: May 19, 2011 through August 31, 2011
    Offer: Register and fly between Chicago (ORD) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO) on United® or Continental® by August 31, 2011, and earn double elite status miles (EQM) and double award miles. Even better, there's no limit to how many miles you can earn. Don't miss this chance to put your elite status on the fast-track. Register and fly today!

Terms and conditions

1. Offer valid only for Mileage Plus® members residing in Illinois and California. Residency will be determined by the primary address on the Mileage Plus account as of May 19, 2011.
    2. Offer valid on nonstop flights between Chicago O'Hare (ORD) airport and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO), on roundtrip itineraries for travel solely between Chicago O'Hare and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO) and not on any connecting or additional city on the ticket.
    3. Registration is required before travel begins and must be completed before August 31, 2011.
    4. To be eligible for the offer, registration is required at united.com/offer/mpd771
    5. Registered members will earn double elite status miles (EQM) and double award miles on all paid published fares flown during the offer period. Offer not valid on government fares.
    6. Travel period: May 19, 2011 to August 31, 2011.
    7. Ticketing period: May 19, 2011 to August 31, 2011.
    8. Participation in this offer does not guarantee elite status.
    9. E-Ticket® purchase required.
    10. For tickets purchased in the U.S.: Tickets purchased through United Reservations are subject to a $25 ticketing fee and tickets purchased at airport ticket counters are subject to a $30 ticketing fee. Fees are subject to change.
    11. Double EQM and double award miles are defined as two times the actual base flight miles credited to the account for qualifying flights taken during the offer period.
    12. Bonus award miles and bonus EQM will be credited six (6) to eight (8) weeks after qualifying activity.
    13. To be eligible, qualifying travel must be posted to the Mileage Plus account no later than December 30, 2011.
    14. This offer does not apply to class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonus miles, other promotional award miles or promotional EQM.
    15. Offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
    16. Passenger must be a member of the Mileage Plus frequent flyer program for travel to qualify for this offer. Flights must be credited to the Mileage Plus account in order to qualify.
    17. Offer valid on flights operated by United® and Continental®; offer is not valid on United or Continental-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers or on Star Alliance® flights.
    18. Elite status miles (EQM) cannot be redeemed for award travel.
    19. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
    20. Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the Mileage Plus program. The Mileage Plus program, including accruals, awards and a bonus mile offers, is subject to change without notice. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. United, Continental and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. For complete details about the Mileage Plus program, visit mileageplus.com. (MPD771)

gobluetwo likes this.
  12. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just bought our tickets a couple of days ago for a May 24th trip. Is there any way to re-ticket during the eligible time period without significant expense?

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The fine print - specifically requiring only non-stop itineraries and no onward connections - makes this one a pretty pricey promo.

Outside of the first 2 weeks of June it looks like the lowest fare SFO-ORD is in the mid-$300s. LAX is cheaper if you can find S or T inventory but still not great.

14. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it, unless you happened to buy a refundable fare. I might have gotten lucky as I just yesterday bought a couple tickets for SFO-ORD, ORD-SFO, although I'm still trying to confirm that the promo will apply as I purchased two one-ways instead of one round-trip.

15. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.
    Please advise how they respond. If you are not past the 24 hour period you might be able to rebook them as a RT.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess they are telling you that you're welcome to buy those non-non-stop itins or those with onward connections on VX if you can find any :)

17. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note: Even if you live in one of the targeted cities and you don't see this promo listed in your promotions, register using this link as the promo was not listed in my promos or that of both goalie-mom and goalie-dad but where we are all SFO based, the registration took (and it then showed under our promos as being registered) but n.b. it won't work if you are not in one of the target cities as I tried with goalie-sis (DCA based) and it would not take.

18. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
  19. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    ORD-LAX is $279 a/i, or about 4cpm. Not great, but decent.

Now, does ORD-SFO-LAX qualify? It is certainly a valid routing on VX, it does include a non-stop ORD-SFO, and no other (than SFO or LAX) city on the ticket.

20. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last year, when UA was running ORD-LGA DEQM promo, two one-way tickets did not qualify. If not too late, I would rebook the tickets as r/t, just to be safe.

21. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Email response was round-trip only. It was already too late for me to reticket anyways.