AA GOLD Worth?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by edekba, Jul 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All i have a question; is AA Gold worth the effort/money?

Currently i have ~10,600 EQM with an additional ~8750 EQM scheduled but not booked yet. If I do use AA for these that will put me at about ~19,350 thus being about 6000 EQM shy of AA Gold.

A RT LAX - LGA (5248) & LAX - SFO (674) should put me over the mark; but at a cost of about ~$450 i believe. Are the AA Gold Benefits worth it?

FYI this would be the first time I hit elite on anything.

hopscotch1 likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you will be flying AA quite a bit in the next year or so then it may be worth you while.
    Especially if you check bags, as a gold you can check two for free.
    Also consider the priority services for check-in and boarding.

edekba likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    These types of questions always get the same answer from me - only you can determine what something is worth. $450 means different things to different people. Some folks would hold it close, others see it is a minimal investment.

It's best to look at what GLD realistically offers and then do your own evaluation.

In my humble opinion, the best benefits of AA GLD are:
    • Exit row/preferred seat access
    • Waived bag fees
    • Priority AAccess boarding
    The other benefits that are nice but not exceptional:
    • Possibility to upgrade using stickers starting at 24 hours
    • Business class check-in usage at AA or OW desks
    • Admirals Club $50 discount for membership
    • 25% mileage bonus
    • Some waived fees for award tickets
    Some of the bigger ticket benefits people like with elite status like unlimited upgrades and lounge access do not come with this tier level.

So based on this information, your own evaluation of what $450 is worth to you, and a look at how much travel you think you'd do during the life of your elite status, you should have some idea on whether you want to spend the cash or not. :)

Travelman, rwoman and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

FYI my Finance has the AA Visa/Amex Cards so Priority Access/Checked Bags is a non issue for us. I will also be applying for the cards as well. And for work they pay for checked bags if needed.

Thus I guess the Benifits for me equate to
    1. Exit Row/Preferred Seat Access (is this free upgrades from the regular seats?)
    2. Possible upgrade to another class using stickers at check in. (though this is basically on flights that other elites arent on correct? since Gold is the bottom of the barrel types.)
    3. 25% Mileage bonus (which I guess could help me next year get to Plat...)
    Also clarification on the period; If I get Gold sometime this year; it will last until 2/28/14 correct?

hopscotch1 likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

1. Yes, you do not pay for your access to the exit row/preferred seats.
    2. GLD is bottom of the upgrade list and less likely to get an upgrade. GLDs do get upgrades on some flights, but like on all airlines, higher tier elites will always trump. Your chances are not that bad on AA since they do not do unlimited upgrades like UA and DL, so GLDs and PLTs have to choose to upgrade with stickers meaning you are not fighting with the entire plane load of elites for a seat.
    3. Your 25% bonus is only for redeemable miles, NOT for elite qualifying miles, so it will not help you keep status.

Yes, your status earned this year will be good until Feb 2014.

Travelman and edekba like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank-you

Point #3 is something that I did not know at all.

livefastdiefun and hopscotch1 like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    An important one to know though. ;) :)

wrxmom, rwoman and edekba like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes very. I was banking on that 25% to possibly get to Plat next year; else i'll be in a perpetual state of non-elite or Gold only

hopscotch1 likes this.
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man that is confusing; reading that you would think it was a 25% EQM bonus not RDM :mad:

hopscotch1 likes this.
  10. hopscotch1
    Original Member

hopscotch1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your travel patterns are going to increase next year, then it may be worth it. However, if you anticipate traveling less, I would say that it is not worth it. Part of it depends on if the travel is work or personal. I would think that you unless you anticipate traveling 25,000 miles next year or have 5 or more trips to book on American it would be tough to breakeven spending $450 for gold.

At most the RDM bonus will get you 12,500 miles. (25% of 50,000 - Then platinum would kick in.)
    2 checked bags RT per trip is $100 (But, you don't always check.)
    It's tough to value the better seating options.

edekba likes this.
  11. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just wish AA would either drop the point/mile thing for status. The earning 50% points but 100% miles on some fares and 150% points but 100% miles is a PITA. Plus the different earning levels on OW partners is annoying.

Sorry to hijack the thread. It's just a pet peeve of mine and had to get it off my chest. :)

12. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ^^^. Bad grammar alert. Calling the penalty on myself. The joys of cell phone typing,

13. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting back to Gold....to me it's all about priority boarding. With so many people carrying excessively large carry-ons and often more then they are allowed, I want to make sure there is space for mine. Of course preferred seating and no baggage fees ease the availability of upgrades for low status Golds like me. ;)

14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting the AA Visa/Amex would help 2/3 problems for you. + 50k AA miles wouldn't hurt...

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually it doesn't since he already gets those benefits. He mentions in his post that he is an AA GLD. ;):)

edekba likes this.
  16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess what I meant was if he was GLD the Citi would get 2/3 for him. :) Sorry!

17. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't get Citi cards in Canada :confused:

edekba likes this.
  18. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anytime they give out bonus elite miles they'll specify ELITE mileage bonus in the offer. As for your original post....anytime I get 1 trip away from gaining status (air or hotel) I'd take it. (In your case 1 1/4 trips :)) Getting the cards makes it a tougher decision because as mentioned you're already getting some of the benefits. If you plan on maintaining that status for 2015 then go for it because the bonus miles and stickers add up. I wouldn't base any decision on getting a sticker upgrade though. I'm not an expert like some folks here, but I imagine that it would be difficult for a GLD to get many upgrades out of LAX. I'm SFO based and the few times I try to upgrade it's hit and miss and I'm PLT. That's only going to get worse with the EXP status matches that AA has been doing for the UA elites. Good for business, bad for me:mad:

edekba likes this.
  19. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is very possible to be upgraded while GLD ... Ms Travelman and myself were upgraded several times while GOLD .

edekba likes this.
  20. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    One benefit not mentioned that I find extremely useful: free standby!

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But not same day confirmed changes, sadly.

Welcome to MP PosauneGuy!

22. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Standby for seats?upgrades?

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    He means standby for seats on different flights, but as I mentioned above one should be careful because there is actually more than one way to go about attempting to get on another flight. One is free, one requires a fee.

GLDs can request upgrades on domestic flights but they aren't free, they require stickers which you earn or purchase.

edekba likes this.
  24. ATCin1st

ATCin1st Member

Status Points:
    As a Gold based at ORD I find the benefits to be very useful. Being able to use the Priority Access check in line and preboard at the gate are enough to make it worth my while. I find I'm able to score sticker upgrades about 50% of the time and I'm always able to get a seat in the exit row when booking. I often use same day standby and have cleared every time.

Not to hijack the thread, but my question is -- is the upgrade to Platinum worth it? As I see it they are limited to better placement on standby and upgrade lists and 100% vs. 25% mileage bonus. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to me to do a mileage run or two and make Platinum next year.

25. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a start, value the added miles you'll gain from being Plat instead of Gold. Figure out the difference between that and the added cost, and consider the extra benefits.

Do you travel internationally? If so, lounge access is a significant benefit not to be overlooked.