AA frequent flyer program

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by GregJ, Nov 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. GregJ

GregJ New Member

Status Points:
    They never have seats available for upgrades! I even try like six montths or more in advace and NADA!
    And to add insult to injury they have this outrageously expensive co-pay that costs too much. I bought a coach class ticket R/T GIG/DFW/GIG for $1,300.00 and they want $1,400.00 co-pay for an upgrade!
    Give us a break!
    I have over 600,000 mikes that I cannot use! I also have 92 500-mike upgrades but tgey are only valid in the US and neighboring countries. I never travel domestically so I cannot use them ever!

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  2. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    GregJ,

Welcome to MP.

AA upgrades are much harder to get internationally than domestically. Are you trying to use miles and a co-pay? According to the upgrade award chart here, it should be 50,000 miles RT +$700 to Brazil. If they are willing to sell you a RT biz class ticket for $2,700, that's a pretty good price. There are probably a lot of travelers connecting through DFW, so an O&D DFW trip could be tough.

The other option is to just buy the ticket outright with miles. It may cost you a lot more for an Anytime Award, but if you're having trouble using your miles, anyway, that's a good option.

Mike

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    All good points! I had only a small hassle using my miles to upgrade on AA from MIA to MAD last year. But I persisted, and it was well worth doing! ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have a world class bargain if you can get a RT business class on that route for $2700, you should buy all you can get. I fly the route often, and am EXP plus tons of miles. The cheapest I have had on the route in the last 12 months has been $3900. any award or upgrade choice tends to be very scarce on any route US/GIG but DFW has been AA availability than either MIA or JFK gateways, as a general rule. I have not been able to use an upgrade on any GIG-US routing since about 15 months ago.

The problem is that there is lots of premium demand on the routes so they sell all the premium seats at premium prices. Solution: go somewhere nobody wants to go.:(

flyforawg and Newscience like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW if you are able to provide some evidence to AA that most of your flights are non domestic they will swap out your 92 500 miles upgrades for miles but then you will only have more of those miles you claim you cant use.:D
    Many years ago they used to give 2.5k miles per upgrade but those wonderful days are long,long gone... not sure what you get currently.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA will now only swap the 500 miles into 500 AAdvantage miles per sticker if you're still elite--- if your elite status has lapsed they won't.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Greg, and welcome to Milepoint.

If you're looking to use your miles to upgrade your flights internationally, I would highly suggest paying for subscription to ExpertFlyer to see inventory for what flights you could possibly upgrade, and to assist with making wise choices for redeeming your miles.