AA FRA-DFW 12/16 Patiently Awaiting MileSaver Award

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by OceanBreezes, Dec 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been patiently waiting since Feb 2 for MileSaver Award space to open up on this flight. When I booked the award, they only had 1 Business Class award for this leg so I split itineraries to get the one watching carefully for another award to open up. I have an expert flyer alert and have regularly been calling about space. One AA reservationist looked at my log and said the request has been noted and I would get the upgrade when they release it...but, I still get checking as I doubted it would automatically reticket. I leave Saturday and this is the last leg of my trip. I am debating just going ahead and paying the extra 50K in miles for the AAnyTime Award even though there are still 11 business class seats available. Any thoughts?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What's your status level? If you have fees waived why not book the AAnytime to secure the seat and then downgrade to the MileSAAver if space opens?

AA is not guaranteed to open MileSAAver space even if it's unlikely they'll sell the seats.

3. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    EXP...both my husband and I are both EXPs. That's a great idea to book the AAnytime and then downgrade. Thanks!

4. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done this successfully on another route though space opened up only at < 4 hours from departure. I received an EF alert that milesaver space had opened up while I was on an airport shuttle. (Expert Flyer is worth every penny!) So I'd suggest not doing early checkin if you are still waiting close in because I think it's a bit easier and faster for them to re-ticket if you've not checked in yet.

OceanBreezes and perryplatypus like this.
  5. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great advice, Thing can get quite difficult to change after you check in!

OceanBreezes likes this.