AA Forces Award Wallet to Discontinue Extension

Discussion in 'AwardWallet' started by MLW20, Feb 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    American Airlines has once again put a stop to allowing people to track their mileage balances on Award Wallet.
    When AA sued Award Wallet last year they came up with a browser extension as a solution. AA felt that Award Wallet was collecting customer's mileage data. The extension seemed to solve this issue by storing data locally on your computer.

The extension will be discontinued on 2/25/12.

Read more at
    http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2012/02/aa-forces-award-wallet-to-discontinue.html

traveler likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know that AA sued AwardWallet last year.

The original thread that also discusses this latest move has this blurb:

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/no-more-aa-on-award-wallet-kind-of.23328/

"American Airlines has contacted us and stated that we may not access its website on your behalf and that we may not store any of your American Airlines account data on our servers."

3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I probably should have said that AA threatened to sue them if they did not remove AAdvantage tracking or was this not the case?

traveler and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  4. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shame on American Airlines, I find it hard to believe a company in bankruptcy will go to such lengths to piss off it's customer base. Unbelievable!

5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been feeling the same way however I received an e-mail from AA regarding my post. It is definitely good to hear both sides to the story. I will be posting the e-mail from AA shortly...

6. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also received the AA bureaucratic answer. Not impressive. They basically say they will not permit this type of activity but then qualify it by saying they are open to talks to build special relationships with outside vendors. I have responded by encouraging them to quickly build a satisfactory relationship with Award Wallet. I stressed that other successful airlines, hotel chains and car rental companies are not throwing up these barriers.

It is amazing that a company in bankruptcy that needs to do everything to reassure and reach out to their customers are actually expending time and money to inconvenience and upset them.

7. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is that AA plans to offer relationships with third party sites that have something to give back. Maybe they will charge fees or something like that...

autolycus likes this.