AA Flight Search Lists JetBlue?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSYgirl, May 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book a flight to JFK, and I notice "JB" shows up. I expand my selection to find out that it's JetBlue.

[​IMG]

I go to check the oneworld alliance, and JetBlue isn't listed. I don't remember seeing this before, and I certainly don't want to book a flight on AA.com that I won't get miles for flying.

Am I missing something here?

EDIT: I'm almost considering booking the JB flight; it's direct and cheaper, but oh, the miles!

2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSYgirl and edekba like this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I wasn't used to seeing it show up, so it confused me. I'll stick with the AA flights for the EQM, although I would have loved a direct flight. :(

downhillcrasher likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, the travel times in that listing are WAY off...

5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    No kidding. I'm considering taking the direct flight on Delta at reasonable times and a cheaper price ($255) than flying American this time.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just mean 2h58m from MSY-MIA-JFK, including ground time in Miami? No way. That and they'd have to fly 700+mph (Mach .93) the entire trip, which would mean supersonic speeds to average out with takeoff/landing speeds.

7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 2h58m is only the JB direct flight. The next two rows are separate AA flights with a layover in MIA. It may have looked wonky since I expanded the JB flight.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a datapoint, I was able to redeem BA Avios for a B6 flight that showed up on the list a couple of months ago.

9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    No Avios here, but good to know. (I only recently signed up for BA so I can earn those when AA puts me on a BA plane, so I might have some in the future).

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't you just continue to earn on AA in those cases? Do you need Avios or BA status for some reason?

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well there are some cases where the distance-based Avios chart works better than straight AA miles?

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Obviously, which is why I asked if she needed or was interested in getting Avios. But there are better ways to get them if you need them than to collect them only on the occasions where AA "puts you" on BA metal. It sounds like there's something else afoot.

13. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of mine recently took a trip to LHR, and she booked through AA even though she flew on BA metal. She signed up with both FF programs before her flight. She said she ended up getting AA miles and BA Avios, so I thought I was missing out on something by not signing up with BA. Perhaps she is mistaken or I am missing something. :(

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm willing to be your friend is mistaken. BA and AA do not allow double dipping for points/miles. If she did get both, it's a very rare exception.

There are situations where double dipping is allowed, but those are traditionally when AA re-routes you on a carrier that they do not allow mileage accrual on (think bad weather and AA putting you on a United flight). You can ask AA for the ORC (original routing credit) for your flight since they couldn't deliver you to your destination AND credit your flights to UA.

But if AA has a mileage earning relationship with a carrier, like they do with BA, then you cannot double dip.

viguera and MSYgirl like this.
  15. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know; she must be mistaken or took AA for one portion and BA on the other.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think you're still confused. Unless your friend physically went up to someone before each flight and requested that they change the FF # on the PNR, she wouldn't have gotten credit on both.

Even if her flights were AA and BA mixed, she would have earned the points/miles on just ONE FFer number. Getting credit on both would require an error on someone's part or a lot of additional effort by airline staff to intervene.

17. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been able to get in touch with her since this thread was posted, but the only way I can see her explanation making sense is if she booked one-way with two different carriers. I'll let you know when she gets back to me.

DestinationDavid likes this.