AA flight from ORF to DFW delayed over 24 hours due to Maintenance Issue

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Max M, Mar 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw much of the mainstream media cover the story of the 10 hour delayed flight from DFW to OKC, but that one pales in comparison to this ordeal, with no national press thus far.

Passengers flying from ORF to DFW were delayed over 24 hours because of a maintenance issue, and not being able to get the replacement part in a timely manner:

http://wavy.com/2015/03/02/passengers-wait-almost-24-hours-for-flight-out-of-norfolk/

Passengers on the flight were accommodated overnight in a hotel, paid for by AA.

daninstl likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    So whats unusual about this? Do you know what the required part was? How did you determine what would be timely or not?

3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree this is irregular but not unusual. I think the DFW-OKC one is unusual because they had to stay at the gate or aircraft when they could have driven to OKC in a couple hours. Interesting share though :)

Max M likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may well be the case although that information was not included in the link above.

daninstl likes this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having to cancel a flight, and passengers waiting 24 hours at a domestic station. Such a lengthy delay is hardly common within the U.S. for a simple part replacement.

Since this was the only news piece I had seen about the issue, with no mention/specifics about the part, I cannot tell you--- I'm not the "journalist" that did the piece. The Norfolk-area newspaper did not have an article about this story.

24 hours to get a replacement part within the United States seems absurd--- especially with AA having hubs not too far from ORF--- JFK, MIA, and CLT. [and LGA also does maintenance as well despite not being a "true" hub]

I don't think most Americans would consider having to wait 24 hours for a part to be replaced at a domestic airport acceptable.