aa flight attendants don't seem quite the same.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by marcwint55, Mar 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it is me or if others feel the same way, but lately I don't see the quality of service that I used to receive on American, especially on international flights.

In the past I was almost always thanked for my loyalty as an EXP and the service was almost always fantastic.

We just returned from Brazil yesterday and even my wife commented that she thought the flight attendants were becoming more like those on Delta (not a compliment coming from her).

I'm curious if anyone else has seen a change in the service they receive?

Joyce Thomas, mo26, jbcarioca and 5 others like this.
  2. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed improved service in the last few months. Perhaps, it has to do with the routes? Drives me crazy to hear the FAs gossiping and bickering instead of working...there has been a notable difference in my recent flights.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm with you, service has actually been much better recently on my flights.

mo26, jbcarioca, OceanBreezes and 2 others like this.
  4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having come from UA and AC I have definitely noticed a difference. But it's very different from OP. I find AA crews much more positive in their job and have had some of the best crews in my decades of flying. Same with ground staff at the gate and in lounges...on the phone UA's always been pretty good and AA has been similarly so. Had very good crews to/from PVG last month.

5. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, as always it can vary from flight to flight, we all have bad days, but I have had some pretty darn good FAs since the beginning of 2013 and a couple who were obviously having rough days. In general they seem to be good spirits, though.

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I am noticing this lousy service almost everywhere, supermarkets, hotels, hospitals, etc .... you almost never can get good help nowadays! I believe the whole service culture is going downhill ... I hope I am wrong.

mo26, coquin, jbcarioca and 3 others like this.
  7. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this, Marc! I posted something similar not too long ago and was told "service varies from flight to flight and from day to day"... well I call BS on both of those statements! I have now been on 4 R/Ts this year and service from the FAs is definitely not the same... Not once have I been recognized as a EXP, offered a free cocktail or snack, and service in general seems to be going the way of US Air... I sincerely hope they turn their attitudes around, go back to the AA that we are used to and appreciate and not continue down the path to the dark side... AKA US Air

Kalboz, mo26, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the only rational explanation for why you (and others) have had bad service while others have received good service within the same timeframe the very thing you're denying/calling BS? Unless everyone who has had good service is just flat out lying?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    David, while some have had good service, and I don't deny that, you cannot deny the service that I have received, and apparently, Marc has received as well. I typically take 65-70 flights on AA metal every year... these last 2 months have been the worst for me in recent memory... at least as far as FA's go... So while some may have not seen a difference, others of us have... coincidental?

Kalboz, jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Where did I deny that you had bad service? I didn't.

Want me to show you where you denied that I had good service though?

That's my problem with your statements. My stance, and many others, is that service can be good or bad depending on your crew. Seems perfectly logical. Your stance seems to be that varied service based on crew is BS. That, IMHO, is not logical.

Perhaps if we had a wide group of EXPs all noting that service had taken a nose dive, I'd be on board with your thoughts. But the anecdotal evidence actually indicates the opposite - people are having both good and bad service. Seems like the status quo to me.

jbcarioca, marcwint55 and John777 like this.
  11. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad to say I completely agree with you. I remember the days when service was all about relationships, and customers were not just another number. In many business today, you are lucky to ever deal with the same person twice.

jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Guess it depends on where you spend your money. On AA? It's a gamble.

But I live in a large city and spend my money at local restaurants and establishments. I have quite a few places where the staff knows my name. :)

garyst16 and marcwint55 like this.
  14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We also live in a large city, Los Angeles to be exact. We generally try to do as much as possible to support the merchants in the Chatsworth neighborhood that we live in, even though we sometimes pay more for the same services. My comment wasn't about local or mom and pop businesses, it was about larger institutions where most employees do not have an ownership interest (banks, dept. stores, etc).

Years ago I saw much more pride in the workplace and I miss that. I don't know if the cause is the lack of job security that is much more prevalent today than many years ago, or if it is just a societal change that has occured.

I am certainly not implying that all employees are like that, but I think the percentage of truly dedicated and professional employees is not as high as it used to be. The good old days of a worker knowing that he or she had a job for life and a pension upon retirement, created a worker who although not an equity owner of the company, had a vested interest in the welfare of the company and their attitude and performance reflected that.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Marc, if you want to support the local spots, try Los Toros Mexican Restaurant... decent food, great service, and even better margaritas!
    http://www.lostoros.com/

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only do we frequently go there, but in case you didn't know, you can get their certificates on restaurant.com and they also participate in the mileage dining programs of many airlines.

AnthonyB1609 and garyst16 like this.
  17. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I grew up in Chatsworth, and work in Woodland Hills, and although I live in the next valley to the North, I do dine there as often as I can... was just there last Wednesday! Love Los Toros!

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  18. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something else about Los Toros that most people are unaware of, is that they have a card that gets stamped with each meal and after a certain number of meals (ten or twelve, I don't have the card handy) you get a free meal there.

jbcarioca and garyst16 like this.
  19. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    and I went to HS with the current owner... he took over the business from his dad...

20. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me know when you are going again. It is always nice to meet a fellow Milepointer.

21. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    a very successful business.

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My wild guess would be this has much more to do with it than people just not caring any longer.

There always will be people who don't care about doing a good job, but a vested interest does a bit to motivate those individuals to shape up.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive only noticed with AE FA's as of recent. They have been all new faces for me flying out of FAT to LAX. I haven't noticed it on my long haul flights. I see almost the same faces everytime I fly and they recognize me.

24. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I posted that the service had been better and I missed an upgrade BOS-LAX yesterday and had one of the most disinterested and ineffective FAs yet. The first class FAs seemed good but the one coach FA I dealt with was poor. I wonder if it has to do with AA operating at max passengers per FA in coach these days?

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  25. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

All of our recent flights have been in business or first and even in first I haven't had great service. On one of our most recent flights from GRU to DFW the flight attendant taking care of my wife did say thank you to her and acknowledged her status. My flight attendant didn't once ask me if I needed anything other than during food service, and pretty much treated me as if I were a BUM not an EXP.

OceanBreezes and jbcarioca like this.