AA First Dreamliner

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MX, Jan 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any word on what routes AA intend to operate the 787s? Just replace 767s or open up new routes? I read elsewhere they'll be based out of JFK (initially).

Newscience, Sammich and MX like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the AA spokesman: "The planes at first will be flown between AA hubs before they’ll be put on international routes, expected in second quarter 2015."
    I hope they'll also get rid of the disgusting old 757's a.s.a.p.

Newscience and Sammich like this.
  4. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, yes I forgot they still inflict those on unsuspecting international pax. Never been on one of those single aisle trans-Atlantic flights and never will if I can avoid it.

Sammich likes this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've read this too. Also there was speculation that after it was flown between hubs, it would be initially on JFK-CDG.

Again, this is purely speculation.

Sammich and MX like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK - CDG would make sense as it's kind of a glamour route.

7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh the 757s on long haul are absolutely horrible.

MX likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unlikely that the 787 will replace 757s anytime soon. The 787 is rather larger and is set to replace the 767s.

Also, the 75s are (theoretically) due for an interior upgrade in the business class cabin at some point. Details of what the product will be are not yet public.
    More like a lower-yielding route where the efficiency of the new aircraft might make the operation a bit more profitable.

DestinationDavid, daninstl and MX like this.
  9. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is it will rotate among a few routes, with a heavy dose of DFW-LAX.

akcae and MX like this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured a heavy dose of DFW-LAX, ORD-LAX and JFK-LAX eventually. I don't know jack but it seems like a good guess on domestic usage to me.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    JFK-LAX is unlikely as it does not have the F cabin like the A321T does.

I do not expect to see much of it at JFK.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. I knew there was some reason I wouldn't see that route unless on an international flight.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    MX likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DFW is likely to be the crew base for the same reason IAH was; it is the main operation of the main pilot & FA groups of the company which ordered the aircraft. That should not be surprising.

Gtitan, brodyf and MX like this.
  15. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anyone at AA would like to direct these birds to the good old CLT hub, we would right appreciate it. :D

16. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA.com has now posted pictures the Dreamliner's interior here: Business (1, 2, 3) and Main (1, 2, 3) cabins.
    The first route served will be DFW-ORD (May 7 to June 2), then on to DFW-PEK and DFW-EZE (from June 4).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Flyer1976 likes this.
  17. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I don't like them.

19. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    KenInEscazu and MX like this.
  20. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see that the "788" (Not the actual nomenclature, but that's how AA shows them in their online schedule) is showing up between DFW and ORD even after the flights to EZE start up. Can anyone here confirm that they will be taking delivery of more in time to (somewhat) insure that a ticket bought on that city pair will get me a flight on a 787?

I was still flying UA when they had the only 787s, and I bought a First Class seat on a very inconvenient routing to insure that I could experience this aircraft, but they literally switch it out to a 763 in the time it took me to walk from the UC at IAH to the gate.

I really want to fly on one of these, but I don't want to pay around $6000 RT to go to EZE from DFW when I have no need to go there, and I'm not about to buy a ticket in economy for a hope of a SWU clearing. 10 hours each way in economy would change the flights from very exciting to very miserable for me. The calendar, the mirror and my old bones are unanimous that I'm just too old to enjoy any Y seat for even half that amount of time.

timfrost and MX like this.
  21. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA are expecting to take delivery of 12 dreamliners in 2015, and have 2 of them right now.
    (schedule)

KenInEscazu and ContinentalFan like this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Even if there were not additional deliveries there is sufficient slack in the schedule that a plane could fly DFW-ORD-DFW between the EZE-DFW and DFW-EZE flights just fine. Of course the full turn takes two planes since it spends a full day on the ground in EZE, but the ORD turn is easy to put in the schedule. Of course, if anything goes wrong there's always the chance of an aircraft swap in order to keep the integrity of the long-haul schedule, just like UA did.

If you want to just buy a flight on the type there are plenty of easier and cheaper ways to do it. Even UA is consistent in its schedule now.

timfrost likes this.
  23. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the desire to fly a 787, or to fly AA's 788 on a long haul? Are you just looking to book the shorthaul segment? It's not clear.

24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the lack of clarity. I just want to fly on a 787, and I would prefer that it be an AA flight since that is where I am focusing my status and awards earnings. For now the DFW-ORD pairing is the only domestic offering, and it's a route that I do fly. Seems to make the most sense.

It also makes sense to simply try to catch it when I'm going one way or the other on that route. There's no real sense of urgency. If it gets subbed for something else, I'll just try again on the next trip. No way I'm going to chase it like I did at UA, but at the time they were the only domestic carrier that had it. I wanted to do it before jumping ship to AA because I didn't know when AA would start flying it, nor where.