AA: Financial results ‘unsatisfactory,’ MD-80 phase out accelerated

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sobore, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/05/american-airlines-md-80-757-oneworld/171090/1

"Certainly unsatisfactory." That's how American Airlines' CFO Bella Goren described her airline's financial performance for 2010, even though the loss of $389 million dollars represented a billion dollar improvement over the airline's 2009 financial results. Goren spoke earlier today at an investors conference in Boston following the airline's annual shareholders meeting Wednesday in Los Angeles.
    Goren blamed the poor financial results in 2010 on increased costs, highlighted by a fuel bill that was $850 million higher than 2009. During the first quarter of 2011, Goren said the airline's fuel costs were 24% higher than the previous year.

Kaanapali and Tenmoc like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I posted this article in this thread here because I thought Goren was really echoing the comments Aprey made at the LAX shareholders meeting.

I'm still confused on why the author chose to put "accelerates" in the title when referring to the MD80. Nothing Goren is quoted as saying in the article supports that. It actually sounds like Goren just reiterated the existing plan for replacement.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I'm not sure about the accelerating part either. The plan all along was to replace the MD80’s due to fuel consumption. The only mention was: One way American is combating higher fuel costs is by "rapidly replacing older MD-80 aircraft with new Boeing 737s which are 35% more fuel-efficient than the aircraft they are replacing," according to Goren. :confused:

4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too actually clicked the link specifically for the update on the md80s (i like them but understand they're not efficient.)

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm not sure the pace increased either. I don't think AA needed these fuel costs in 2011 to realize the benefit of shifting to the 737.

I like the Mad Dog, too! Lots of people seem to hate it but it's been good to me.

Exiled in Express and Tenmoc like this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    All my travel is with my wife. So the 2 seats works so much better for us and when we do upgrade it is so quiet in the F cabin because the engines are in the back of the plane.

I really can't wait for Boeing and Airbus to get away from the tube designs and start making flying wings.

7. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here. I don't understand why so many people seem to hate this aircraft.

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since the majority of my flights originate out of BUR, I have grown to LOVE the MD-80. Although an aging aircraft, their seating is FAR SUPERIOR to those in the 37s. Having flown the 37s in F multiple time, I have found them to be very uncomfortable after about 45 minutes. I sincerely hope the BUR-DFW route is one of the last to have the MD-80's replaced with the 37s...

Long live the MD-80!!!

neuatomic likes this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)Sorry old friend I've been so tuff on you over the years. It seems you have quite a few supporters here...

[​IMG]

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hardly the first time a headline didn't match the information in the article. :) I generally approach anything at all written in newspapers with a lot of skepticism. In every case where I have had first hand information, the newspaper reports have been wildly inaccurate.

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    1) AA didn't go through bankruptcy and never shed costs the way other carriers did.
    2) Arpey's job must be in some real jeopardy.

Jslo likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While "hate" would overstate my dislike, these are in general my least favorite mainline AA or DL equipment.

The reason I am not a fan relates principally to the narrowness of the seating accomodations in F. I don't think the seats are much less narrow than a 757 or 737 (though I don't know for sure and am too tired to look it up), but the central armrest is several inches smaller on an md80 versus equipment with 3+3 in y. For some reason, this difference factors heavily in my enjoyment...a little extra space from the guy next to me is something I like. Indeed, when I'm on a 767-200 in 3-cabin f, my preference is for the single center seats!

Md80s do have less noise in front than most other aircraft due to the aft engine placement, which is nice. It absolutely sucks, however, if you are in the very back right next to the engines. The md's can operate on shoter runways that many 737/320 products iirc, which is a nice benefit in terms of flexibility.

A friend of mine was on the md90 sales team. He said the -80s and -90s were designed to be very pilot friendly. I haven't ever heard a pilot say a bad thing about these birds...which is more than I can say about the views from many flight decks towards the dc10/md11.

sobore likes this.