AA FF STrategy to Europe from USA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by euromannn, Jan 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am planning a FF trip to somewhere in Europe from SEattle, USA.

American Advantage has given me conflicting information on destinations with the cheapest fees.

I have learned that flights from west coast USA are ineligible for a stop over.

Thus if I want the best round trip off-season fares I 20,000 FF (coach) I must stay on an itenerary of AA only no partner. And AA must NOT stop flying that route during off seaon.

Here goes and appreciate if any who knows more can add information on those cities AA servcies that are the best FF deal from the west coast:
    Madrid
    Frankfurt
    Helsinki
    London - excludes off season and must use partner airlines wioth fgee increases.
    Barcelona - excludes off season and must use partner airlines wioth fgee increases.
    Rome - excludes off seasona and must use partner airlines wioth fgee increases.
    Dublin - excludes off seasona and must use partner airlines wioth fgee increases.Helsinki
    Paris - excludes off seasona and must use partner airlines wioth fgee increases.

Thus Seattle-Frankfurt would be off-season 40,000k FF miles + $10 round trip.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have to admit, I was a bit confused by your post but I think I get the gist of what you're saying. A few clarifying points about your post....

AA allows stopovers on award tickets at the North American gateway city, so you absolutely can have a stop over on the west coast. Stopovers are not available if one chooses to fly directly from your home airport on the west coast to Europe though. So for example if you fly SFO-LAX-LHR, you can do a stop over at LAX since that is your gateway city. If you decide to fly SFO-LHR-CDG as your award, you get no stop over, since you have no gateway city on your itinerary.

This is not a correct statement regarding AA's award rules. You certainly can book off-season fares on partner airlines as there is no requirement that you fly only on AA to take advantage of these discounted redemption. Please see this LINK to the "Oneworld and Other Partner" award chart which outlines off-season economy awards to South America, Europe, and Asia Zone 1.

If by "best roundtrip off-season fares" you are referring to keeping the taxes and fees low by avoiding AA partners, stating you need to stay on AA metal is only partially true. British Airways (BA) is the most notorious AA partner who charges large fees for redeeming flights on their planes. Iberia (IB) also charges some fees, but to a lesser degree. So you'd do best to avoid BA, and perhaps IB to keep fees low.

Other AA partners do not charge additional fees on award redemptions, though, and should be perfectly affordable to book awards on from a cost standpoint.

MX likes this.