AA F vs VX MCE/MCS (domestic mid-haul)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Nov 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm asking this question here because I'd prefer the opinions of those more likely to be familiar with AA domestic F (in all its glory <grin>) instead of the WN flyers who have experienced VX.

I applied for and received Elevate Gold status as a match, and I have travel planned from DFW to SFO in January and February. Elevate Gold gives me automatic access to Main Cabin Express seats (incl. exit row on an A320) on VX and potential upgrades to Main Cabin Select (38" pitch, free food/drink/entertainment), but not VX F. EXP on AA gives me a guaranteed exit row seat (likely on a 738) and a relatively decently guaranteed domestic F upgrade.

Aside from losing ~3,900 EQM/trip if I fly VX instead of AA (and 7,800 RDM - if I fly AA I'll fly out of AUS, VX I'll start from Dallas), is there enough of a difference in VX's MCS product to make it worth giving up a likely AA domestic F seat (and the miles)?

I can't make the rationalization work in my mind, especially since I'll never actually make the threshhold on VX to keep my status, so it'd be a one-time thing and stranded points in a VX account. Don't try to convince me - just let me know if I'm missing anything in terms of service level, etc.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm taking my first VX flight tomorrow morning. I bought the ticket since VX's financial situation isn't looking so great and if they tank, I wanted to have said I took a flight with them. Suddenly the status match hits the internet and I applied and was approved. The fee to upgrade to F was rather small for a 4 hour flight (I'm doing ORD-LAX) IMHO, so I took it. Will see what all the fuss is about.

perryplatypus likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think W/Aloft hotel (mood lighting) pretty nice IFE, and nice/comfy leather seats. What I like the most sitting in the back is the ability to order drinks/food through the IFE system ... even after they've done their drink service.

Overalll VX isnt bad ...

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    But is it significantly different enough to give up a more or less guaranteed AA domestic F seat? Drink refills in the four rows of F isn't to shabby, either. :) From what I'm hearing, no.

Stranding the miles is what concerns me most, I think...

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But does the AA F seat give you free refills on the food as well? ;)

Here's a trip report on Main Cabin Select. Gives you an idea of what is offered: LINK.

edekba likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm I've never been in F so i wouldnt know. :rolleyes:

How many points you getting off this flight ... if you check in enough to TG you might be able to get a short haul for free ... but then again who knows if VX will be around. I had about 5k points and I Just dumped them for a VX flight this past wknd even though AA flights were going for $68 (LAX - SFO). I just didn't want 5k EleVAte points to go to waste.

7. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hah, I actually did much the same a week ago; had an award ticket on UA that I refunded when VX was really cheap for Sunday-after-Thanksgiving purchased 24 hours in advance. I wasn't able to buy my way into F, so rode in coach. It was nicer than legacy coach, but not enough so that I'd be willing to pay a premium for it. (Not that I'm any kind of representative passenger.)

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown VX F a couple of times. I think you'll find the experience better than most domestic F services, and in no event worse. VX is a little more hip and casual than legacy US carriers, but I find the quality of their food, and the general friendliness of their service, to be pretty strong. There are few/no jaded 25-year veteran FAs.

The drawbacks to me are (a) the miles program, (b) limited route network and (c) limited lounge options.

For example, JFK VX lounge access is to the VS lounge, which is great - far better than any domestic carrier's lounges - but isn't an option for morning VX flights, when the VS lounge isn't open. (You could use PP to access several other lounges at JFK T4, but they are all weak, and landside.)

9. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't seem too shabby, the exit row and bulkhead seats are said to have great legroom and VX has some appetizing BOB food and drink selections (all comped for MCS).

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Took my VX F flight yesterday. Was impressed with some of the product and service, but clearly won't be jumping ship any time soon for many of the reasons NYBanker lists above. Will try to put together a longer post on my thoughts later this week.

Mike Reed likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Booked my AUS-SFO trips on AA. A great shot at AA F and EQM/RDM on AA (plus the outside chance of another Q1 promo while AA is still in BK and attracting customers) vs. MCE on VX (and possibly MCS) or a paid-F upgrade made it an easier choice.

Stranding points with VX pushed it over the top. I need my miles. :)