AA EXP issuing awards for others - questions

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gaucho, Oct 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if one of the resident AA Guru's could tell me if the benefits and order of preference benefits that apply to EXP's when issuing award tickets also apply when a given EXP calls to issue an award for someone other than him/herself....?

Also, do the benefits include liberation of otherwise non available award inventory....?

Many thanks for the assistance and patience with the questions...

Cheers from EZE,
    Gaucho

kandru2003 and Seat6A like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Can you be more specific? This is rather vague.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're thinking of something similar to what UA has in that the flyer, no matter what status they have, retains the status of the account holder where the miles come from? No, AA doesn't have anything like that. If you don't have any status, you'll get the perks (or lack of perks), that comes with not having status. Nothing transfers across.

I've never tried that, but unless the EXP flyer is part of the traveling party I can't see AA opening up special award space. Haven't even noticed that as a topic of discussion here or at TOBB. If it was out there and available we'd be talking about it.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    When an EXP member makes an award purchase from his/her account, I believe the process is the same regardless of who's travelling. That includes access to the same award inventory, and no phone charge. However, the people travelling on such an award will not gain any EXP benefits for the duration of that trip. I'm not sure what EXP benefits, if any, they'd be missing.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Gaucho likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for you reply, this is very helpful.... greatly appreciated.

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Tom.... appreciate the response.

7. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho.
    I am headed to EZE and MDQ very soon. I need to find a good wine connection in EZE, as there are several that i want to bring back home. I'm new enough i either can't send PMs or can't figure it out. Can you send me a message if you have some suggestions?

Gaucho likes this.
  8. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as EXP benefits are you referring to priority boarding, free bags etc? If so then I will say from experience that the flyer on an award ticket DOES get those benefits even when the EXP member is not there. I frequently fly my niece and nephew on an award ticket without me and they board first etc. And if things go south during the flight (missed connections etc) the exp desk provides the same service.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you ticketing standard awards versus milesavers? How are your relatives bypassing the phone tree to get to the EXP desk? Are they inputting your elite number instead of their own?

10. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just called ExPlt desk and had them look at what I booked for my niece last year and it turns out it was the 25k award. I also confirmed that privileges would be extended on that award ticket but NOT on a 12,500 miles award ticket. As for the phone tree I did the calling - they were teenagers.

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., thanks for resolving that.

Betty Boop likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've never heard of benefits transferring to someone ticketed using miles from an EXP account when the EXP is not traveling, but I could be wrong.

That being said, I did just try to use the "extra award space avail for EXP" option. You need to call an EXP agent to request such inventory. When I did , the EXP agent I spoke to said the extra inventory was only available if I was I one of the passengers on the PNR.

13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think what's happening here is that Anytime awards, which cost double the amount of miles, have some benefits attached to them (priority boarding, baggage). Those are treated as full-fare tickets.

Betty Boop likes this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That makes sense, and what I suspected as well. Don't know I've ever redeemed one of those. ;)

Betty Boop likes this.
  15. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being the 'Auntie Mame' kind of Auntie I have had to redeem those.

16. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal experience is that sometime in the last couple years this policy changed. If you are not on the PNR you will be charged a ticketing fee.

17. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    As recently as aug 2012 I purchase award tickets for my niece and her friend. These were the 25k awards not the 12,500 (only ones available). They had priority boarding and no checked bag fee.

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I booked an award 5 weeks ago for two people out of my account. I called to handle the booking and was not charged a phone fee.

Betty Boop likes this.
  19. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I wasn't charged a phone fee either.

20. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were both lucky then. When I was charged the agent said it was new this year and pointed me to the 2013 membership guide for EXP where it does in fact now state "Pay no ticketing charges on award and revenue tickets issued by American Airlines when you are traveling." For $25 or whatever it was I wasn't going to spend time on the hang-up-call-back game. I paid.[/quote]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    flyforawg likes this.