AA EXP Booking on AS

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Captain Oveur, Aug 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brand new to AA (UA refugee).

Aside from fare, looking for some guidance on whether I should book on AA or AS website. Are there other things I should be considering.l...priority boarding or access to emergency exit seats?

Regardless of the site used, I'll be using my AAdvantage number for the AA credit.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you book an AS flight on alaskaair.com, you will have access to emergency exit or row 6 seats. Though in my experience, you won't initially be able to select these seats until after the purchase is made.

If I remember correctly, after the reservation is ticketed, there is an alert on the top of the page that says something along the line of "We recognize your AA status, and we may have a better seat for you!", and from that point on you'll have access to these seats.

marcwint55 and John777 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    sometimes you have to log off and then log on again to see the recognition of your elite status. you will have access to priority seats, but will only be upgraded at the airport after all Alaska elites are upgraded.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    To be clear, the reciprocal benefits between AS and AA do NOT include upgrades. The comment above about upgrading at the airport after all AS elites are upgraded would require you to pay a fee like any other customer, similar to AA's offer to upgrade for a fee when checking in at kiosks.

DL elites, on the other hand, do have some upgrade ability on AS.

daemon14 and marcwint55 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    that is correct

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses so far.

Aside from the possible price thing, should I book on AA or AS website?

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I've had better upgrade %tage on AS metal than DL metal .... :eek:

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who do you want to deal with for IRROPS?

That's who you should book with.

sendbillmoney likes this.
  9. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had any trouble getting accommodated during IRROPS, regardless of the website I used to purchase. In general, I always try to buy my flights on AA.com. That said, SEA being my home airport, it is often inevitable that my itineraries involve AS segments.

However, if the itinerary only involves AS all the way (most likely when I am going intra west coast), I usually book it directly on alaskaair.com

10. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a flight on AS yesterday and that's exactly how it worked for me. Recieved priority boarding and all.

11. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked an AS ticket through AA in January when Seattle had the big (for them) snow storm. Even though AS was issuing optional refunds for a weather alert and cancelling a lot of flights for my days of travel AA wouldn't issue a refund until my flight was actually cancelled. Even though I knew I wasn't making the trip I had to wait and hope the flight got cancelled. It didn't. It was delayed about a hour before departure though so I called AA again to state my case and they gave me a credit because the flight was delayed less than 1hr I believe, if it were more they would have issued the refund. This last time I just booked on AS to avoid any possible issues. I know you're an EXP and fees aren't an issue, but you never know what other conflicts might come up.

12. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of the site, remember AS uses turbo props for some of their shorter flights. I try to avoid those :)

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can we book mark this and bring it back up whenever we start debating the merits of adding UDUs on AA like they have on UA and DL? :D

Isn't one of the perks of taking the Horizon Air turboprops the free beer and wine the offer? Or did they stop offering that?

14. basiface

basiface Silver Member

Status Points:
    What!?! Free booze? I learn so much from you guys!

kw335 likes this.
  15. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    They still offer free beer or wine on the Horizon flights, at least the ones I have been on during the past year:D

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, they feature beer and wine of the Pacific Northwest for free on the flight. ;)

I thought I had read somewhere that they were either discontinuing or limiting the selection recently, but perhaps I was confused. Either way, a nice way to convince people a turboprop isn't so bad!

basiface and Jubileesmom like this.
  17. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they offer the same wine as they do on a regular AS flight, it's very drinkable. :D *hiccup*

18. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The selection changes monthly. It's kinda nice to get to try some exotic wines from the PNW.

19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will likely be flying on a Q400 if you're going Bay Area-PDX, as well as a lot of flights out of SJC/PDX, and some out of LAX as well.

What AS did do is contract with OO (Skywest) to provide RJ services on a handful of routes, mostly SEA/PDX-Southern California (with occasional FAT and PDX flights to rotate aircraft through the system).

I don't find Q400s to be a big deal on the types of flights AS generally uses them on (<600 miles).

kw335 likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how I'm linking your post to the one of mine you quoted. Are you talking about routes that one might expect to see the free wine and beer, or are you saying that the rumor I vaguely recalled about the free wine and beer being nixed was in regards to AS contracting routes out?

21. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Generally, these routes out of the Bay Area is where you will find QX instead of AS. (I am guessing a UA refugee who has the most occasion to use AS/QX might be from SFO.)

22. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about yall, but I find rides on Q400 to be more comfortable than most RJs.

23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again for all the responses.

I booked an Alaska ticket (027), and put in my AA number. I do have a single AA segment on this AS ticket (with four AS segments).

Would I be eligible for the upgrade on the AA segment? If so, what do I need to do?