aa exec platinum status

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by marcwint55, May 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just requalified for my exec platinum through 2/14. I so wish they would include a way to get lifetime exec platinum. I have lifetime platinum, but have to requalify every year for exec platinum. Somehow we need to get them to offer the same deal that United does with lifetime statuses.

2. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    Careful what you wish for!

3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck! I wish I could have had another year of CC spending counting towards LT status. I got on the band wagon a bit late and only made it to 1MM just after the changes were implemented.

IPBrian, jbcarioca, garyst16 and 2 others like this.
  4. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    EXP benefits are far too generous for AA to offer them on a lifetime basis.

jbcarioca, wrxmom, miamigrad and 5 others like this.
  5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not if they were restricted, like for example 10 million flow miles! I think AA could do that, specialy with its new MM program!

6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure, lifetime EXP would be nice, and perhaps there's some monumental mulit-million-mile accrual mark that AA may think wouldn't be too generous....but I don't see AA doing that anytime soon.

I'm always careful of the "(another airline) does this, so why doesn't AA?" logic....as there's likely other things the other airline does that I'm glad AA does NOT do.

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  7. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's actually quite intelligent not to provide the absolute highest status level except to those who continue to earn it. Plat is already a fairly good status for a lifetime. Even though you might keep that very small number of long term top elites extra happy with that status, you upset the majority of elites who do not see 4 mm as a realistic goal.

basiface, jbcarioca, Bobtray and 2 others like this.
  8. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree with you here. It's a good policy not to give out EXP lifetime based on some mile threshold.

They do make rare exceptions I'm sure. For instance, the very small number of living American Medal of Honor recipients receive EXP, CK and AC access though I don't think it's officially lifetime, just granted again each year. Totally OK with that myself.

wrxmom, jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If all things remain the same, why would anyone be upset if another category were added such as 4 million lifetime miles for exp lifetime? There would be no loss to other elites, and knowing that the possibility of lifetime exp exists might encourage additional loyalty and perhaps a bit more traveling. Anyone who would qualify for that would already have lifetime platinum and would not likely hurt another elite's chances for an upgrade.

10. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more...I closed out November 2011 with just over 1.7M and am now sitting at just over 1.9M, however, the extra 200K don't count toward MM status any longer...really sucks! I was looking forward to LTP!

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about those people who got 3.8MM just before the rules changed, but never flew enough to get any status? They fly a bit more and get lifetime ExecPlat? That means all old credit cards qualify . . .

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worth considering would be that "lifetime" is not the flyer's life, but the life of the program. Who knows what 5, 10, 15 years down the road will look like. Perhaps much better, perhaps much worse, perhaps non-existent, who knows.....

I suppose it's easy to say, having lifetime Plat, yet I know it's only as good as and only lasts as long as the program that issued it, the other airlines (within the alliance) that go along with it, etc.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    They basically gave exp to most MegaDo participants and to UA status matchers, too. :(. MegaDoers were less than 200, but status matchers could be in the tens of thousands.

14. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nowhere remotely near that.

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you think the UA status match count is?

perryplatypus, jbcarioca and John777 like this.
  16. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And if they make changes to the benefits the "lifetime" benefits change as well. Then we will get to listen to people whine, moan and complain. (Cough cough take a look.at the united forum for the hundreds of posts on the changes to lifetime benefits)

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think lifetime 1K and lifetime GS were bad ideas. Great for you maybe, but not for the program as a whole. As others have said, be careful what you wish for.

18. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    a few thousand

19. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there might be a few who qualify that way. I would imagine that most people who have spent close to 4 million dollars on their credit cards have probably flown a bit as well. Time would also change the demographics as young members would not get that benefit, and sad to say, older members (myself included) will eventually kick the bucket and level the playfield to the new rules.

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.
  20. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they should give ExecPlat Lifetime to anyone with over 20 Million Miles. BTW I have 21.5 Million Miles :)

wrxmom, horseguy and jbcarioca like this.
  21. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    AA has excluded themselves for doing something here. Because they awarded lifetime miles for absolutely everything, including elite bonuses, netflix sign ups etc, there are folks with enormous lifetime balances, many of them have not given AA much revenue at all (I mean, I have friends with 5MM lifetime on AA with only 300k bis miles.) Now, they've changed the program, but it's still way to generous compared to UA IMHO.

The only way I would see this work, is if they are able to get the system to find out actual bis miles for all member, reset the lifetime balance and put EP at 3 million bis miles.

cova and jbcarioca like this.
  22. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there such thing as a lifetime EXP?

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    No

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. travelmommy

travelmommy Active Member

Status Points:
    A friend told me that there are a very few people that have EXP for lifetime like some war veterans and patrons!

25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points: