AA epic failure

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by estnet, May 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay part rant part warning.

2 out of 3 of my international flights had the originating flight cancelled. In neither case was I notified before arriving at the airport. Case 1, due to weather(at another station) had been rebooked no harm no foul.

Case 2. Arrived for checkin and wondered why it took 20 minutes for the person n front of me. AA app and website indicated flight leaving on time (and tripit which often indicates changes before I am notified by AA also had no notice of delay or cancellation indicating that AA didn't enter it into the system)
    Agent tells me flight has been delayed 8 hours _ which messes up my international connection. No reasonable alternative at this point -confirmed 3 days later doesn't seem reasonable.
    I go with a horrible alternative and write to customer service.

Reply from cs says sorry and calls me a liar, they say attempted to contact me even though I said I was not contacted. My phone was working all day before the flight as was my email and text.

SO AA WEBSITE AND APP say flight on time, but it isn't This is not the first or fifteenth time AA has been lax about timely updates, others have reported this and I certainly have experienced it many times, but it is the first time it has been so disastrous for me.

is the only way to avoid finding out you are up the creek without a paddle to call AA multiple times in the last few hours before the flight? Isn't this a ridiculous way to run an airline?

MX and Counsellor like this.
  2. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not calling you a liar, but I have always gotten notifications promptly at the time I requested them whether the flight is on time or not, and every time I've had a flight delayed by more than a few minutes I have received a phone call, usually from a robot, but a call is a call.

If they never put it into the system, would you have really received a different answer from calling of your own accord? Isn't this all tied to the same data? I know for Amtrak our train tracking system spits the same information out to the app, the website, and the CSRs. The only thing the CSRs can see that we can't is notes in a delay report and - on some routes - when the train passed certain locations between stations, thus providing an update.

daninstl likes this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent all of last week in the USA, all AA flights. For the first time, I did not receive the usual text messages or phone calls advising of flight status all week. Only on the day of my final departure, and only then on the final flight out of MIA did I receive the usual updates. Seems like something was wrong last week, at least.

daninstl and flyforawg like this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    the issue remains that I (nor apparently many others waiting to check in ) were not notified or protected ahead of time when they knew of the problem.
    I am not the only one, a well known blogger has posted many issues with AA's system.
    maybe Amtrak has a better system but that doesn't help me much when a short domestic leg is cancelled and an entire international itinerary is affected.
    Since AA claims they attempted to contact me why was I not rebooked by them at the time, as has always been the case before with both UA and AA.
    For me this was a serious problem which AA handled very poorly.

5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    For sure. A few days ago I was talking with the exec desk when the call cut off. Thought maybe something wrong with my phone. No, eventually told their entire system went down cutting off all calls and their ability to see the system and call out. This happened over a few hours (which many may not have noticed as it was the middle and the night)

6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would suggest HUCA. Make sure you document everything, like who you spoke to and when. Have notes prepared with the chronology and flight numbers, ticket number, PNR, etc. Avoid language like "they called me a liar." It might have felt that way, but I doubt they actually said those words, so best to avoid anything that will deflect from your message. Appearing unemotional even when you want to wring their virtual necks is the best course of action.

Overall AA has been the best of all the airlines I've dealt with from a technology standpoint. The vast majority of the time I get timely notifications and auto rebook on the rare IRROP (even a phone call with a real person once.) My favorite is the auto reassign of my seat when they change aircraft configurations. I like to book bulkhead and the *&^%$% at UA always (100% literally, no hyperbole) screwed me. On AA I have 100% of the time been given the exact same seat with the new row #.

Having said all that, no organization is 100% perfect, and one time recently I got no timely flight updates, in TripIt either, so as you surmised, they probably didn't update the system in a timely manner. Fortunately, I didn't have a disastrous consequence for mine. Just take a deep breath and document, document, document. And keep trying to reach someone. I've had luck with the EXP agents connecting me with customer relations in past. Perhaps a lounge AAngel could help? Be persistent and remain calm while doing so. If you reasonably exhaust all options and still no joy, then vote with your feet.

Best of luck!

brodyf and timfrost like this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    All good advice, but there is no HUCA When the only contact is email! Yes, they used to put you through to a live person, but that has changed. Try it now, you'll have a different experience :(

I, too, had good experiences until recently, whether this is from merger or??? It is still distressing.

Maybe I am expecting too much for AA to rebook when they see their cancellation will cause all following international flights to fail whether or not they can "reach" me.

8. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, your expectations are reasonable. Auto rebook should happen. An e-mail and/or text asking you to contact them about a schedule change is reasonable, too.

Try a note to customer relations specifically requesting a real person call you to talk about this issue perhaps.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note from CR said "sorry, things happen....and we called you and left a voice mail" AFTER I told them I had NOT received any notice!
    My complaint is that they did not contact me (not only did I not receive a voice mail, I noted that I was on the phone at the time they allegedly called with both my daughter and AA - to make future reservation!), but even if they HAD left a voice mail and I was on a plane or otherwise unable to access same, the only thing to do was to rebook me.
    The fact that I was not re-booked and left with the last flight out being cancelled and no real alternatives by the time I was checking in was why I called it an "epic failure".

(to add insult to injury was told cancelled due to weather, then no "plane was taken out of service" - later confirmed at higher level that it was NOT weather, but since that is what the system said the rules the agent would have been following are much less in favor of the passenger when weather is the cause than "mechanical") - so even within their own system there is misinformation galore.

10. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your cell service is verizon the voicemail should arrive any day now. Just sayin'

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    VBG - no, it's Tmo - but you gave me a laugh :) (Actually they were pretty good when I called to verify that there were no missed calls and no voice mail at the time they stated they called me)

12. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just stumbled across this on the AA site. It may not be relevant anymore for your needs, but might come in handy for someone else (maybe even me someday, I hope not.)

Customer relations
    Our Customer Relations department is dedicated to addressing customer comments and unresolved concerns. The Customer Relations department will respond to our customer’s written complaints within 60 days. Customer Relations can be reached at:

U.S. Mail/Overnight Mail American Airlines Customer Relations
    4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
    Phoenix, AZ 85034 Phone: 817-786-3778
    Fax: 480-693-2300

13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly customer relations (which can also be reached by email) - said sorry - called me a liar (said they had left 2 voicemails - when they had not) and didn't address the fact that they hadn't rebooked/protected me at all :(

14. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear that. I think the only recourse left to you might be social media. Express your case eloquently and stick to facts and hope it get some traction.

I was in the same boat many years ago with an ATA (RIP) flight that was canceled with no notice. This in the days before all the lovely web site tools and notification programs. Got up, took an hour trip to the airport to be told the trip was canceled and I was called. No voicemail, no message light on my primitive non-smart phone, no missed call. And no compensation or apology either. Was told they called...my office phone. Why? Well, they're no longer in business, so we'll never know.

estnet likes this.