AA EP flying LATAM Brazil - baggage allowance

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by adrianors, Dec 12, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks,

I am just reaching EP on my next weekend, yay! And it seems that after that flight I am flying LATAM from GIG to POA early January. I called LATAM to ask about my baggage allowance and they said (after transferring me 3 times within them and making me waste 1h on the phone) that I should talk to AA about it. I booked my flight with LATAM directly, so that was an awkward start. From that, I called AA Plat Pro desk (EP just next weekend), which had no clue, they called OneWorld desk, which had no clue either, which called a LATAM supervisor and after about 30 minutes on hold, they came with the response that I should be allowed up to 2 checked bags, even though my ticket says "carryon only".

Did any of you guys ever had an experience with them? Specially lately, given that LATAM changed their checked bag rules last year? I am hoping I won't have to waste 30 min trying to convince the counter agent to check my bags for free because of an OneWorld agreement he may never have heard about before.

2. NewBlueReview

NewBlueReview Member

Status Points:
    Just bring your card, show them the color of the little dot .

They know. Some people just like to mess with your head.

Don't get tied up over little stuff.

Congrats on reaching EXP!

( ALSO It's hard to remember but most people never reach it, so for 99% of the people who pass by the counter or agent, this isn't the case, best way to handle it is "Be cool. Stay in school" )

adrianors likes this.
  3. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    So.. I made it. It worked just fine, went straight to their priority lane (Emerald and bla bla bla), no lines, no bag charges, saved at least 30 min by using the lane. Agents at the counter were great, gate agents are a mess.. overall, I am really disappointed that LATAM now charges you for a can of coke inflight, another good airline (TAM) that becomes a low-cost on domestic flights.. I am unsure when that happened as I left the country seven years ago, but somewhere in the middle they screw up. But anyway, good reason to stop complaining of AA soda and pretzels (even though we can get the free food when flying on coach).