AA ends ticket holds for flights within 7 days of departure

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ballardFlyer, Mar 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    A reported on blogs and TOBB, AAdbaUS has ended 24 hr ticket holds for flights within 7 days of departure. They do not offer refunds within 24 hrs in this case either. They are keeping to the exact rule of DOT which is that 24 hr cancel or hold is only required for travel 7 days or later.

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being told the opposite by AA.. EXP and other reps said they WILL offer refunds within 24hrs for tix bought t-7.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

ballardFlyer likes this.
  3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be great if true. It didn't look like that on AAgency this am but maybe they've clarified?

4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure. When I called this morning, each AAgent said the policy had been updated but said the refunds were allowed. Would be greAAt if they'd put some official notice out there.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

ballardFlyer likes this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, bye-bye bereavement/medical compassion fares.
    Now, this "enhAAncement."

Obviously the new management is trying to squeeze as much money out of people as possible by trying to get people to buy expensive last minute tickets.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    quote="Max M, post: 2326115, member: 5449"]First, bye-bye bereavement/medical compassion fares.
    Now, this "enhAAncement."

Obviously the new management is trying to squeeze as much money out of people as possible by trying to get people to buy expensive last minute tickets.[/quote]

More obviously is that you didn't read or more to the point understand the OP. The change affects pax putting tickets on hold within seven days of travel.
    How much time do you need to make a decision to purchase within such a short time frame?:rolleyes:

Considering the reports of people trying to game the system in an attempt to secure upgrades I am not at all surprised.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree it is to prevent upgrade gaming and even more generally to have a much more rational approach to close in inventory management.

I'm sure non-nefarious holds within a few days of departure date were costing AA massive revenue by not letting them advertise and sell those seats to other buyers who wanted to pay cash right then rather then wait for up to 47 hrs with no repercussion or cost.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Um, actually I did read, it, but thanks for falsely assuming. :)

There have been numerous times over the years where I've put a ticket on hold on AA.com within the 7 day window, not sure whether or not to travel cross-country to see family when minor issues came about with them [but that did not warrant AA's terms to qualify for a medical compassion fare]. 50% of the time I ticketed, the other 50% of times I did not, as the issue was too minor to travel. Of the 50% of the time, I secured a fare that went up when I could decide definitively. I was very greatful for this feature.

No longer can I do this, hence my original comment.

And how does this involve gaming the system of upgrades?

One clears based on their elite status, and time of ticketing. A last minute elite with AA has lower upgrade priority anyway.

9. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could theoretically buy a number of tickets in the first class cabin within the hold period in the last days preventing a paying customer from purchasing the seats. As a top elite who bought a ticket well in advance, you could reasonably assure that you would get one of the remaining F seats.

Unethically, but possible.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    @FriendlySkies post about 24 hr cancel for tix within 7 days appears accurate which is good news. I'd still like to see that as the "policy" in writing which I can't find, but this was a huge blow and now its just annoying if true.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only it is possible its actually being done. There is one well documented report of a AA member who did exactly that multiple times eventually resulting in AA coming down on him severely ( not sure if they closed his account). Then there is the other guy who made multiple bookings on the same flight and AA eventually closed his Airpass account, this incident went as far as the courts... guess who won?.:)

Coming back to topic at hand the example given above with regard to tickets on hold which went up before the holder decided is exactly why this procedure has be amended.
    It unfair to the person who buys the now available higher priced ticket and its unfair to AA who may not get the revenue when you cancel at the last minute.

Aktchi, LETTERBOY and flyforawg like this.