AA earning chart of SriLankan (UL)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by IceTrojan, May 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. IceTrojan

IceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/main.jsp

Very interesting (read: odd and disadvantageous) with the breakdown between full Y and discounted Y. The only way to receive at least full EQM is to fly full Y or above; the moment you dip into discount buckets, you lose 25% of value (full EQP 1:1 earning, but on 75% of miles credited).

I wonder what went into that calculation?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much better than the earnings on CX. :(

IceTrojan likes this.
  3. IceTrojan

IceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    CX earning is pitiful. I'm glad DFW-HKG is starting to give me options in EQM earning and upgrade potential.

JJ's entry seems to include 100% earning in all fare buckets (on int'l segments at least). I wonder how these terms and differences even come up.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish I could say about the EQM and upgrade potential but I've decided that I will not requal. for EXP this year. I don't feel good about the "new American" and their changes next year. Since I live at SEA it might be better for me to change to AS and/or DL. The only downside with DL is their MQD requirement but I feel AS eventually will follow suit...

ballardFlyer likes this.
  5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    However booking AA codeshare gets you full credit, and for both CX/QF the codeshare premium is usually fairly small.

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    And AA codes on QF or CX metal are hundreds higher on the same trip. Just enough to make you question why, but then comparing to a MR on top of a trip you want to do, "oh well, i'll pay the extra"

Well, at least when AA was worth being loyal to anyway.

7. IceTrojan

IceTrojan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Consider this... what if you just stick with AA for if/when they truly blow it. THEN you can just request a status match to AS or DL at that time. Jumping ship now will close down the AA option... sticking with it keeps your options open.

IMO, if I were to switch (a real possibility for me, since I'm relocating to SEA eventually), I'd go AS over DL... better redemption opportunities, good partners, etc. Being the underdog, I don't think they'll follow suit in the revenue-based qualification requirement.

Tenmoc and flyforawg like this.
  8. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Varies by route a lot, but yes, there's naturally that downside. At least for the times I've looked the codeshare is maybe a hundred more - which isn't as bad if you need it to requalify.

Tenmoc likes this.