AA dual browser CC trick

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by servo, Aug 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I got approved for both Visa and AmEx Tuesday night. It took until this afternoon for me to receive my welcome email from the Visa, but I still haven't seen an email from the AmEx. Also, since the application didn't mention the bonus miles offer, is it safe to inquire with the rep upon activating the card what the perks were that came with it, so I could verify that info, or should I just perform the activity that is expected of the 50k mile bonuses, and see what gets deposited in my account?

uggboy and rharrigill like this.
  2. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    you should be okay verifying it with the rep when you activate the card. many people have done this.

miles and smiles and uggboy like this.
  3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so I received both cards tonight, activated them both, and confirmed the 50k mile bonus after $3k spending in 4 months for each card. Each card also offers a $100 statement credit after your first purchase on the AA website. Have people bought miles using that statement credit? With the current promo I'm looking at:

5,000 miles - 10% Disc ($132.70+30 fee+tax)= $172.71 - $100 statement credit = $72.71/5000 miles = .0145cpm
    10,000 miles - 15% Disc ($233.75+30 fee+tax)= $281.28 - $100 credit = $181.28/10000 miles = .01812cpm
    20,000 miles - 20% Disc ($440+30.00 fee+tax)=$503.00 - $100 credit = $403.00/20000 miles = .02015cpm

Looks like even as the discount rises, the cpm rises as well. Would I be good getting 5,000 miles with each card, totaling 10,000 miles between the 2 cards? Seems like $145.42 out of pocket is pretty good for 10,000 miles, especially for someone who doesn't fly often. Thoughts?

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    dont think it has to be on AA website; i've heard you can buy a snack on board & you still get the $100 credit.

That being said $145.42 isnt bad for 10k miles. I bought the 12.5k miles for a little less than that and that was considered a very good deal.

I'd go for it

5. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that I think of it, I would also earn double miles on the purchase value as well, so basically I would get 10,691 miles for $145.42. That's 1.36 cpm. I think I'd take that too. My math isn't off, right?

6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From what I recall, buying points will not qualify for the statement credit. My understanding is that the purchase of points is actually from "points.com" and the billing would be from them, not AA. The billing needs to be from AA for the statement credit to kick in. I have used the "trick" of buying a snack or drink on board and that triggered the credit. You can also purchase a gift card from AA that, as I understand it, also kicks in the credit.

sendbillmoney likes this.
  7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see that points.com runs it, but the only thing I see that flies in the face of my theory is that I wouldn't get double miles for a miles purchase. That probably does come back to your understanding though as well. Darn, I thought I caught a bargain!

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ended up buying 2 $100 gift cards, and my $100 credit already posted on one, and as a result, I expect the other to post at the next statement cycle.

9. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the 40K dual browser trick a couple weeks ago (I was worried about getting the minimum spending requirements for both my wife and I: $4,000 instead of $12,000) and everything worked out fine. The only thing was that we both received companion certificates that expire on November 30th. Why so soon?

10. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok,
    I blew it not using the dual browser trick...
    I got the citi-A/A amex card w 50k miles mid july...how long should I wait before applying for the citi A/A visa card?
    just curious,Geo

11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a long thread on FT about the Citi AA cards. The consensus seems to be 12-26 months, with 12 months the soonest anyone has successfully applied for a second personal card and 26 months being the longest . You can, of course get a business card much sooner, probably now.

curiousgeorge likes this.
  12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also on FT, it was mentioned that the business card was almost always denied < 91 days from personal application. So, to be safe, wait until the end of October to go after the business card, but be aware that Citi is sometimes a little tougher than the others when it comes to business card apps.

13. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, thanks for the advice,I'll scout up the long thread and focus my spend bonus elsewhere for now.
    Geo

miles and smiles likes this.
  14. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not correct. It is 90+ days between business applications, not between personal and business.

1. You can apply for only two Citi cards of any kind or combination in a 60+ day period.
    2. You can only apply for 1 business card in any 90 day period.
    3. Citi Personal AA cards have a 'first-time user' restriction, which actually means 18-24 months for most people but can be more (26+) or less (9-). My wife just got rejected after 17 1/2, we'll try again at 20-21 months.
    4. You can get two of the same HHonors or AA Personal cards at a time but this does NOT affect Rule 1. I don't know if the same is true of TY cards.
    5. All dates are based on application. You do not need to close previous cards (although some people claim you need to close Business cards that use the same Tax ID).
    6. When closing business accounts, make sure both account numbers are closed.

15. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification. I must have misread. This is very helpful info.

16. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem, it is a bit complex because there are multiple time timelines running and multiple rules depending on the type of card: AA Personal, TY, AA Business, or HHonors.

17. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    So based on what was above, if I got the 2 Citi AA personal cards 8/7/12, it would be safe to apply for the 2 Citi Hilton personal cards when I do my next churn in mid-late November? I likely won't do it, because I really need a decent NAF card to build longer history with, and the Hilton Amex looks like the winner for my future goals - but feasibly, it is doable?

18. fr33b13

fr33b13 Member

Status Points:
    You are correct. You could do 2 Hilton AA cards in late November.

servo46250 likes this.
  19. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could do two 50K Citi HHonors cards now if you wanted to. The Citi HHonors cards do not have an annual fee either, FWIW, only the AmEx Surpass and Citi Executive (or whatever it is called) have fees.

servo46250 likes this.
  20. rdaven

rdaven Active Member

Status Points:
    I applied for the 2 Citi AA cards at the end of May. At first I was denied the Amex AA. Got a name to email from Million Miler and was approved in June for the AA Amex. I just applied for the 2 Citi HHonors cards on 10/10 was approved for both. One was approved instantly and the other I called in and received approval with no problems.

servo46250 likes this.