AA Dropping JFK-NRT, Replacing with JFK-HND

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, Jan 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Making the rounds on TOBB and confirmed by JonNYC posting on TravelingBetter.com (LINK).

No official announcement that I can find but all signs seem to point toward this happening.

JL will continue providing service JFK-NRT.

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Never would've thought this would happen in a million years. :eek:

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    While HND is convenient for reaching Tokyo, the flight slots at HND for USA service are at terrible times.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since AA does not offer their own onward connections, the cost savings in operating out of HND versus NRT must be enticing.

5. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would it be a savings given the fact that they have a sizable operation at NRT?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is HND actually that much cheaper? :confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might be a noob, but I am really not seeing the logic behind many of the changes over at AA

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Found "official" AA info related to the discontinuation: LINK.

The link isn't exactly intended for customers since it's part of the travel agency section, but it provides information on rebooking procedures due to the discontinuation.

Looks like the last day will be May 30 for JFK-NRT and May 31 for NRT-JFK.

globalexplorer and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA is continuing ORD and DFW service to NRT, and maybe also LAX, so that isn't the reason. In fact, it likely increases AA costs to maintain both HND & NRT operations.
    I believe that on the one hand, AA decided that they have too much capacity between JFK & TYO with two flights, so they wanted to eliminate a flight, and on the other hand they believed they would lose the HND slot to UA if they discontinued the HND flight, so that's why they kept it. There are only 4 daily HND slots for U.S. carriers, and another carrier would have petitioned to get the slot.

While HND could work as a connecting point to OW carriers, because of the poor HND times for the slots, they really don't work well for onward connections at present. I suspect AA is hopeful that over time they can get better slot times, but I don't understand all the politics at work in Japan. I think it was contentious to open HND to intercontinental flights, and one compromise was to limit those flights to times of low utilization, or perhaps only hours when NRT has a curfew. Sometimes such compromises don't change quickly in Japan.

Elusive, LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For all the speculation HND is a far better place to arrive than is NRT. Much faster and cheaper access to Tokyo and simpler processes too. I would choose HND over NRT anytime I travel to a Tokyo destination, if I have the choice. I have no idea of the operating economics.

11. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    true but how much of the traffic is just TYO traffic?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheaper perhaps (in certain circumstances) but not so convenient/simpler for all, I guess the it all depends on the where you arestaying. My hotel of choice is the Conrad so the NEX and a short $10 tax ride and I am at my destination as far as time goes the monorail from HND vs the NEX saves you all of 10/15 mins.
    Cost again depends... if you buy a Siuca with the NEX discount its about the same and if you are using a JR pass for other Intra_Japan travel the HEX fare is included.

From a purely selfish point of view the above doesnt affect me at all since I make it a point to avoid JFK.
    Its interesting that this change came after JAL changed their SFO flight to HND (which is also an AA codeshare) and I supect most of AA ground operations at HND is operated by JAL so one wouldnt be too far off track to speculate that further charges may be afoot

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen !!!

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.... but I would ask... how many other large carriers fly into HND.... SQ...? LH....? CX...? Im thinking how much of a pain it will be for US based flyers on a RTW ticket that takes them out of NYC on AA... before, it would have seemed all easier out of Narita..... but heck, Im a retired FFlyer so perhaps all the big boys now also have flights into Haneda...?????

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Poor logic..... doesnt AA realize that maybe many of their clients need to get to SIN or HKG or Australia and would like to get to Japan via NRT to make their connections easier...? (see my other post)

globalexplorer and jbcarioca like this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OW partners who fly out of HND include JL, BA, and CX. Other "big" airlines include CA, NH, OZ, CI, MU, DL, HA, KE, MH, SQ, and TG.

As for connecting times to the AA flight... that's another story that's easily fixed by looking. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all things, this brings both pluses and minuses.

For pax going just to Tokyo, HND is indeed easier to the city center (think: LGA vs JFK, LCY vs LHR). This will be a benefit.

For pax going onward, not having AA metal on JFK-NRT will mean more stingy award availability and no ability to use SWUs/Miles to upgrade that segment. You'd need to connect domestically to stay on AA metal going across the Pacific. This is a drawback.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course it's poor logic, but I can imagine someone being very shortsighted, especially during bankruptcy, and observing that AA does not profit directly from onward connecting flights on other carriers out of NRT.

However, I could also imagine saying that if there will be one JFK flight into NRT and one into HND, AA should serve NRT because there will be more nonJapanese on that route due to onward connections and there wil be more Japanese passengers into HND, where those passengers would prefer JAL flights. Otherwise, oneworld seems to risk the Japanese passengers from JFK defecting to ANA to stay on a Japanese carrier.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    there's convenient HND-SIN connection

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like AA might thought it out a bit more than you have or seem to think
    JAL has at least two flights daily HND/HKG and CX has three.:)

One thing is pretty obvious is that some (many) of those complaining here have not bothered to check the availibility of onward connections.. that sort of knee-jerk reaction we come to expect on FT.. but here???:rolleyes:

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Several of the people worrying about onward connections from HND must be unaware of the recent status change for HND which is producing quite a few decent connecting options. It is possible that some of us may have a slight TOBB perspective, based on the often histrionic reactions to changes often seen there.

Even though I am happy about HND as someone having Tokyo as a destination, the connections are still logistically easier than are those of NRT, but some waits are still longer. That will improve shortly, I suspect. If the AA arrival slots improve so much the better.

22. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen histrionic reactions, though your comment on connections at HND seems based on wishful thinking.

Here's the schedule for the AA HND service. Pretty much any connection will require an overnight stay in TYO.

AA135 JFK 1910 - 2315+1 HND 772 D
    AA134 HND 0650 - 0630+1 JFK 772 D

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    those required overnight stay. CX has three? you sure one of them isn't JL codeshare?

24. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    in a year or two. AA just need to hang in there to save their slot. When the next phase of expansion is in place, they can get much better slots

25. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, more than two months after you posted this, now on April 4 The Dallas Morning News is reporting the Haneda resumption as news, and not mentioning anything about the JFK cessation. Maybe they're now at the stage where they want the public to know, not just travel agents? Or maybe the service bulletin got caught up in the high twisting winds at AA HQ yesterday, blew over and landed at the Morning News? http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/04/american-airlines-to-reinstate.html