AA drinks service.... penny pinching?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gaucho, Oct 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my latest set of AA domestic flights, I had complimentary drinks services. On all my flights I asked for Cranberry Juice.... in all cases, the FA wanted to serve me only a glass. My memory tells me they used to leave you the can.... Ive had to ask to get the entire can with me, and in one case I got an almost empty can because my drink was poured from an open can.

Is there some management directive to save on drinks....

Are you expected to offer to pay for a soda to get a full can...?

Please discuss.

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Im having a slow morning...... :oops:

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Penny pinching! Airlines? NEVER! It's called "you have been re-trained and from now on you have to pay a fee" it will never be a charge, it's a fee! Want a [ tell all ] leaflet and a drink?

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm having a slow evening!:D

Sunshine7 and marcwint55 like this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if there's any directive, but it wouldn't surprise me. They're in bankruptcy. It's not like they have an infinite supply of cranberry juice, or Coke, or orange juice, etc. They've got to save some in case other passengers want to have cranberry juice, too.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your seat stays bolted down, you are ahead of the game. Don't worry about the drinks.

zpaul, edekba, Gaucho and 5 others like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    No one is ever leavin me the can! "It's a pour, never more"

legalalien, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure!:D

[​IMG]

iterfacio12, marcwint55 and sobore like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least there's less to spill without the can if the seats start shifting.

or another way to look at it:

Spilled drinks cause loose seats, so this is a safety measure.

http://now.msn.com/american-airline...caused-loose-seats-in-planes?ocid=vt_twmsnnow

(I almost spilled my drink when I heard that explanation on TV this morning)

kansaskeith, sobore and marcwint55 like this.
  10. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it is penny pinching or just where you ended up in the service rounds.

In my experience, I have found it all depends on the individual person serving you. If you are asking for a high demand item (coke, diet coke, cranberry, or ginger ale) they will not give you a full can if there are a lot more people to serve.

I have found if I am near the end of the service and ask for the full can of something less popular (Fresca on Delta) I can usually get them to give me a full can.

11. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    After all, everyone likes cranberry juice.

ConsultingChris likes this.
  12. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are the serving pure cranberry juice.. i used to recall the shift to Cran-Apple a while back.. Haven't had it often enough to really check.

In do remember getting the can frequently in coach. In premium cabins, they generally only fill the glass and refill as needed. In coach, this seems unusual as they generally prefer to give you the can rather than make another pass through the cabin.

For the cranberry juice, i'm actually a fan of keeping an open can, as i like my seabreeze cocktail in flight. An FA on united insisted i try it, and i was hooked. Orange juice, vodka and a splash of cranberry.

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does seem to depend on the popularity of the drink. Never been given a can of Cranberry (or CranApple) however, Diet Dr. Pepper. Sprite or 7 Up. Bloody Mary Mix. All seem to always come in a full can.

Although I am waiting for the new 8 oz cans to make an appearance on flights.

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no such thing as "juice" out of a can on any airline, other than tomato. These are all technically classified as "drinks", that is watered down from concentrate and blended with a neutral juice like apple. Pure juice is only apple or orange from a tetra pack. (Juices must have a high percentage of undiluted identified fruit content, otherwise it must be called "drink". It's like wine classifications.) As for the OP's plight, on both AA and UA when seated in coach (on long haul overseas flights, always get F/C on domestic/transborder flights) and I've asked for tomato juice and vodka (can't abide the mix), I've been given the whole can. It may be that on UA I show my ExecPlat card for the free booze, or on AA I give over a 1K drink voucher...so they know I'm top tier and have no qualms about leaving the balance of the can.

Gaucho likes this.
  15. TheBOSman

TheBOSman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember, this is the airline that saved money by taking one olive out of the salad...

I usually order cranapple and 75%+ of the time, even as a no-status/later Gold/later Platinum flyer in Y, I got the can without prompting. In F I'm always at least asked, probably 80-90% at getting it without any prompting.

Oh and, "Would you like the can sir?" "What?" "I said would you like the can, sir?"

Gaucho likes this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you are right.... what was I thinking...?

marcwint55 likes this.
  17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK.... this means Im an unlucky person. I need to go to some Tarot card throwing witch to see if she can get my luck changed.... :p

18. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well... you are a citizen of a OECD nation.... I guess Im getting the banana republic treatment.

Should I take my case before the United Nations...?

19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The drink in question was indeed Cran Apple cocktail....

Great stuff, I wish I could buy it regularly here in Buenos Aires.... :oops:

20. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next trip to BA I'll trade you a bottle of the finest OceanSpray CranApple for a bottle of your finest Malbec! ;)

I get bizarre looks when I order a Gin and Cranberry/Cranapple...my third inflight option after Glenlivet and tomato and Vodka. It's my preferred alternative (to Scotch) when traveling in warm climates, tomato in colder climes.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to request "spicy tomato juice" (bloody mary mix) and they always leave the whole can. Maybe it is not so popular a drink as cranberry juice or sodas? If you order something many others want too, there is a better case for them to keep the can.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  22. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    NBC's Mr. Leno Monday night, speaking of the spilled-drink theory: "Do you believe that? How come my seat at the movie theatre never moves?"