AA Domestic F 75k RT?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by aussieflyer, Sep 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book ORD-LGA-ORD on AA Business/First using BA miles. (I know its a waste of miles, but has to be).
    On BA.com it prices out at 75k RT.
    Seemingly this is because its marketed as first class.
    Searching for business on BA brings up nothing, only economy or first is available.

Being that its a 2 class plane shouldn't it be 50k RT?
    AA shows it at 50k...

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it should be.

AA only operates a small number of routes domestically with three cabins (JFK-LAX (all services), JFK-SFO (most services), MIA-LAX (certain services)).

You should be able to book F on a 2-class plane within the US for 50k. (Edit: See below. I think this was a lucky break.)

3. aussieflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    BA.com is not bringing it up.
    Guessing that means having to call...

Any good ideas what to do for 45 min on hold?
    Or how to get an agent quicker?

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not my (very limited) experience, unfortunately. A pair of one-ways in F on JFK-SEA cost me 75,000 BA Miles - although I couldn't use the tickets in the end, and cancelled them.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I had a situation once where they tried to charge me the F price, but I pointed out it was a two-class plane, and they charged me the J price. My experience is also limited...and perhaps I got a lucky break.

There's a fair bit of confusion in situations like this. For a little while (2003-ish), DL agents were saying international J awards couldn't connect to domestic F flights - which was also not true - but was promulgated by quite a few DL agents.

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice if it was a lucky break: mine was booked online so it was priced automatically!

7. eae

eae Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid this is incorrect. AA domestic F is treated as first class for redemption (and for earnings). The one exception is if a domestic first class segment is added onto an international business itinerary in which case the business business class mileage level will be used. This only applies if the international business class segment is longer than the domestic first one though.

8. aussieflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You indeed seem to be correct.
    Priced out HKG-ORD-LGA and the ORD-LGA segment comes up as business class.
    But in that case it would be desirable either because then its considered a OW award and the pricing goes through the roof...

With regard to the longer segment being the deciding factor of travel class, travel to Hawaii becomes quite interesting. JFK-LAX in J and HNL-LAX in 2 class F will price as F award. While JFK-LAX in business and LAX-HNL in economy will price as economy award.
    Go figure...

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    what if you look at all AA metal on nrt-ord-lga. That would be a single partner award - would that work?

This is extremely interesting. How many miles does BA want for travel JFK-lax in j, with the hnl connection in y???

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this ended up being a lucky break. I booked on the phone and pushed back to get the j price. This was a few years ago though. I had said this in a subsequent post, but have now edited my original post to draw attention to this fact.

11. aussieflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Was only searching to see the difference when adding AA domestic F to international J.
    But anyways, would take CX J over AA J any day. Even if it meant connecting to Spirit.
    Actually maybe not, I'd at least fly Jet Blue if nothing else was cheap ORD-NYC.

I think 17,500 one way.

viguera and NYBanker like this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice. That's 7,500 less than one way JFK-lax in j! The old, "We'll throw in a flight to Hawaii and knock 30% off your mileage" special.