AA Customer Service

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, Apr 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I know we've discussed various aspects of the current BK AA is going through.

In my travels in January, I continued to be happy with the frontline staff on flights and the airport. :). Having flown this past week, I have to say my experiences have again been very good at LHR, BDL, and ORD. I think this is really good considering the stress I'm sure many are feeling!

:)

2. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had one bad airport experience with them in more than a year, and certainly no bad ones since the November bankruptcy court filing. Maybe related to my PLT status, maybe related to the fact I usually fly F, but maybe not related, either. And in irrops, they have been darned helpful.

(My last airport experiences were on a trip in early-mid March -- when I used the ICT check-in kiosk effortlessly -- just a few feet away from the United service counter where a pleasant but largely useless agent was explaining to UA customers all the things he'd like to do for them but couldn't because of the new combined UA-CO system that had just taken effect. And I counted my lucky stars I was on AA. And when I did have to deal with humans, not just kiosks, on that trip at airports, they were just fine.)

As far as cabin crews, as always, some have been acceptable and some extraordinarily good. No really bad ones for more than a year now, and the ratio of great-to-okay has been at least as good after the bankruptcy as before.

I agree, Robin, that the stress they're under has been immense. Not only the reorganization, but all the disruption from the major hail storm at DFW (though I myself didn't fly this week). I really feel for their people, and have been quite impressed.

anabolism, bmg42000, estnet and 5 others like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And while I'm saying nice things... AA clearly segregates Priority tagged bags coming off the belt in baggage claim. I was through passport control in 2 minutes and my bags were waiting on me.

Thanks again AA for making a LHR arrival easy, which is not always the case!!

desamo, AnthonyB1609, wrxmom and 2 others like this.
  4. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed with the sentiments here... especially on my last flight(s), which featured a frustrating delay, the cabin crew was just great at keeping us comfortable and informed. The did well, even when everyone was getting ornery and restless!

wrxmom, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am now becoming an echo. Since the filing there has been no deterioration IME, and some improvements. The quality of Plat customer service has been outstanding, and I have had two fairly significant challenges for them, both of which they handled quickly and well. On a recent reroute of an international discounted F ticket the fare desk worked to find an alternative that did not raise the fare, by changing my routing entirely. I had not asked but i saved lots of money because of their diligence.

Onboard service seems less inconsistent than it was, but I really cannot judge that objectively. There are noticeably more Brazilians onboard my flights and lots more FA's who speak Portuguese which is a huge improvement. Those FA's cost more than Americans, on average, so they are not saving money but they are gaining lots of higher yield passengers. Another Brazil-related improvement is that on check in from the US to Brazil nobody complains about our bags anymore, as they often did last year and before. (we are allowed 32kg(70lb) per bag and three bags for Elites and C or F). That is a hassle for them, but they just say things like "oh, are you sure you're Brazilian, your bags are only 60 pounds each, you still have enough time to buy something else, don't you?" while they're laughing. The Admirals Clubs in MIA, ORD, JFK and DFW nearest the Brazilian flights all have Portuguese speakers now too.

I do not mean to devote too much time to Brazilian issues. However, somebody at AA is spending a lot of time getting details correct for high-yield passengers.

Bravo, AA. I am rooting for a successful outcome, especially for the employees who are making the transition easy for passengers.

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Making my life easier in transit = motivation to give them my $$.

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. That is one reason why I have flown 72,000 BIS miles with them this year vs zero last year.

8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's certainly increasing my temptation to go for EXP! ;)

9. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Come on Robin (?, I think :), go for it! You know you want to. :)

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh wanting it is not an issue. Time and money however... ;)

wrxmom, perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  11. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even outside of the UA-CO merger debacle, AA customer service blows United's customer service out of the water on all fronts - telephone, airport landside, airport airside, baggage services, in-cabin, etc. I have never had a problem an AA agent did not at least try to fix with a smile, even when I was not an elite. With UA, even as a 1K for 10+ years, I encounter problem employees between 10 and 20 times a year. I can't say I've had any complaints about the way I've been treated by an AA employee since I started flying them again about 5 years ago.

TheBeerHunter, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    My experience has been similar. While I can sit and think hard and come up with a few bad experiences, they are few and far between. My UA experiences have been the opposite, where I have to think hard to find people who went the extra step to help. I'm 1K and EXP, and no question there's a difference in the helpfulness of the phone agents at these levels.

In the end, this is a big part of what makes me an AA apologist. Because they do the right thing by me much more often than not, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when the grass might seem greener elsewhere.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    During the last few years I have been AA EXP, US CP, DL DM, CO PLT, BA GLD, FB PLT and a few others, All of those make me like AA better, particularly in comparison with BA, DL and AF in declining order of dislike.

rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    On my recent ORD-DUB flight I had the same flight attendant as I did on a ORD-NRT flight in November. I mentioned it to her and she said, "You know, I thought you looked familiar and I told my coworker that I thought your name was familiar, too! Let's see if we can out do our NRT performance.....".

Almost always pleased with AA. Haven't experienced any service issues since the bankruptcy protection, and in fact as most have said, it's seemed like the opposite.

15. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a similar experience on a flight earlier in the year. I think it was to BCN, we had the same crew coming and going (we only spent one night). I didn't think they were remarkably great (nor bad or anything!!) on the way over, but they recognized us on the way back, and after jokingly chastising us for being a bit insane to do such a quick trip for a weekend, gave us some really great service on the way back, treating us like we were all old friends or something. :)

I have not had a bad experience with AA staffers in years (I believe the last time was when I had a flight with the infamous Helen before, but that was more weird than bad, really...) and in fact usually find them really courteous, friendly, and like they do little extras for me that they really don't have to. That's why my business stays right here!

jbcarioca, perryplatypus and rwoman like this.
  16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, Helen. You must mean the one who was holding the record for the oldest FA on AA for some time. I found her to be abrupt and borderline rude, but nothing unusual for people who flew the famous PanAm Internal German Service (IGS) back in the dark ages. Even the mention of her name recalls the dismay I felt long long ago when she, young then but still obstreperous, used to work the TWA JFK-ATH and CAI routes.

perryplatypus and rwoman like this.
  17. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    My only experience with AA recently was making an award reservation using AA miles on BA. I had to call 5 different times, and each time the agent was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. It was a real change from my usual experience with UA/CO. Now if only AA flew SFO-EWR, I would be flying them.

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do have lots of choice though. UA, UA, UA,WN, UA:eek:. I'd schlep to JFK to avoid either of those. It was different when it was the New Continental, then I'd have flown from EWR as much as possible. Come to think of it, I did.:cool:

ducster and rwoman like this.
  19. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:

That's a bunch of time in a metal tube at 35k feet in 3 months. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that why I am unable to sleep properly unless I'm in a metal (or soon to be composite) tube at altitude?:rolleyes:

21. Photonerd71

Status Points:

I drive a semi truck (about 300 days a year) and have trouble sleeping in my bed at home so i know the feeling.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had not thought of that one, but I imagine that is a similar, but more permanent, arrangement.

perryplatypus likes this.
  23. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    The bed, albeit small, is the same one, just in a new location every night. At least i don't have to deal with grumpy other passengers. Plus i get paid to drive another good thing. Lol

jbcarioca and perryplatypus like this.