AA Confirmed Flight Changes going to 24hrs and no charges!?!

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ballardFlyer, Feb 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some replies on TOBB in the big AA CFC thread that two people in the last day have been told by agents that they can now do CFC within 24 hrs for free as Sapphire/Emerald OW elites.

If true, this is a HUGE improvement - they are going for worst to possibly best overnight. I hated the old policy and I just had another horrible experience due to the old policy again this weekend on Sat.

There are also rumblings that online checkin is showing CFC options now too. That would be another significant travel enhancement. I haven't seen this myself yet but I usually do iPhone checkin.

2. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    fully aware that my post here is completely useless but ill add a big fingers crossed because i would LOVE this

OceanBreezes and perryplatypus like this.
  3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Online resies do in fact now show SDC tabs but I did confirm with an agent familiar with the new changes and he stated that the fee remains but the window has increased to 24 hours from 12.

He also said that we would receive an e-mail notification soon regarding the changes.

OceanBreezes and perryplatypus like this.
  4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    News to me... I tried to do a CFC on Sunday, 2-17 and was told it would cost me $75! Did it just go into effect on Monday?

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried on Sat myself and was shut down. Didn't know about any changes.

Some on TOBB are saying free changes, but posters here are saying just the 24 hr expansion still with fee.

I hope it is now 24 hrs instead of calendar day only, but that is a dream.

Will have to wait for official update I guess.

garyst16 likes this.
  6. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

Status Points:
    my general problem with the CFC program as it currently stands, or was standing, was really the availability. i was told multiple times by AA gate agents, ticket agents and AC agents (all apocryphal i know) that the times when CFC is offered it is because a number of seats are open. in the vast majority of those times i could just standby and get on the flight as well so the CFC's value is really limited to times i may not get to the airport in time, i want to ensure a better place on the upgrade list or i want to protect against IRROPS or something similar filling up a lot of empty seats. the vast majority of times ive been considering CFC i just opt for regular standby rather than pay.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    CFC changes require inventory in a specific fare class. If there's no inventory available, there's no change available. I believe it's E inventory. You'll still be re-booked in your original fare class though.

perryplatypus likes this.
  8. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes but compare to DL or AS where as long as there is Y1 you can confirm for free as an elite. It is 1000 times better.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    All true, but I never said AA's system was better. I just said what AA's system is. ;)

JonNYC, AUSsie, garyst16 and 3 others like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA has updated the information on CFC on AA.com: LINK.

Now showing availability 24 hours ahead of time, but seems the $75 fee remains.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ugh. This is still behind the pack for elites... even if it were only EXP. Of all the benefits I WISH I had, same-day CFC is near the top of the list.

garyst16, globalexplorer and malikguy like this.
  12. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very cool benefit of MVP Gold. :)

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA's new fare structure offers some fares (Choice Essential and Choice Plus) which waive change fees. Is it possible some of those who reported not being charged for their CFCs were on these fares and simply assuming that the $75 fee had been thrown out along with the 12 hour window?

14. Schoolmarm

Schoolmarm New Member

Status Points:
    What is a CFC?

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP schoolmarm. :)

CFC = confirmed flight change. This is when you pay AA a fee to get a confirmed seat on a different flight to your destination. It differs from what folks traditionally view as "standby" as you don't have to wait to see if a seat is available. You're automatically confirmed on the flight and assigned a boarding pass/seat.

16. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to go from a connecting flight to nonstop with CFC?

I see the origin and destination needs to be the same, but not sure about the connection. Guessing this also means no switches between co-terminals, too (JFK/LGA, DCA/IAD/BWI, etc.)?

I've had surprisingly little experience using CFCs...

perryplatypus likes this.
  17. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ymmv. I find the AAngels in the clubs will make it happen. Also all agents are all more flexible on routings when you have a story (distress, want to get home early to see family, ask nicely, etc). But just this weekend I was shut down on 2 out of 3 attempts to change routing. So the moral is keep trying and be nice :)

John777 likes this.
  18. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Elites can still standby for free.

Yes, the general rule of thumb is that if CFC/SDC is available, you're very likely to clear standby anyway. But CFC is useful to elites willing to pay, in a few cases:
    • It lets you get onto the upgrade list right away. Most gate agents clear upgrades before standbys, so upgrading after standby puts you way at the bottom of the list, below lower-level elites.
    • It lets you pick your seat right away.
    • Standing by for a later flight is allowed, but there's always a risk of getting stranded, especially if an intermediate flight cancels. CFC/SDC lets you fly later, risk-free. The extension to 24 hours can really help here.
    And of course, most non-elites don't have standby as an option, so CFC/SDC is their only affordable way to do a same day change.

19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    For me, the SDC has always been a blessing. I change flights frequently close in and on UA I very rarely scored an upgrade as a 1K. I actually prefer that they leave the fee in place as it creates a barrier to entry for people not willing to pay $75 to move up the upgrade list. I'm sure at some point I've done an SDC and NOT scored a seat up front, but I sure don't remember when.

Expanding this benefit to 24 hours takes away my only annoyance factor, which was when I had an afternoon return flight home and the 12-hour window came about in the middle of the night.

perryplatypus and John777 like this.
  20. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

Status Points:
    tried using the 24 hour window for CFC but was told that not only is it within 24 hours but it needs to be the same calendar day. not sure if thats policy or just how this AC Agent was interpreting the rule

21. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    The agent was correct. The new flight must be on the same calendar day. You can request the change within 24 hours of the new desired flight.

MyTravels likes this.