AA Compensation Thread?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by arkleseizure, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it worthwhile to have a thread tracking AA's compensation for various issues that have arisen during your travel (maybe with a mention of your Elite status at the time)? It may be interesting to know what to expect for particular issues, but I don't want people to start looking for ways they can complain and get something for nothing.

For example, my wife's IFE unit only worked intermittently on our flights and / from Narita (during our RDU to HKG double / triple mile journey) and when I brought it up with AA they sent a $200 eVoucher in response. So my "entry" may look like this:

11/30/10 - Faulty IFE unit (DFW - NRT), Gold Status, Economy class, $200 eVoucher

Any thoughts?

flacey8, mickc, Biu and 2 others like this.
  2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the format maybe also tell what class you were booked in.

3. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    2/5/2011 Faulty IFE unit/deactivated power port (DFW-SFO), EXP, 10,000 miles

4. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    8/17/2010 Faulty IFE unit in F (ORD-LHR), No status, 8k miles

5. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    10K miles DFW-SFO?!! That's highly unusual. Plus there is no IFE provided on that route. Are you sure that's not JFK-SFO?

6. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, DFW-SFO. By IFE, I meant in-flight audio (to watch the overhead TV). I was quite surprised, too. Sent an email saying that I would have liked to have watched the movie, but I wasn't terribly inconvenienced seeing as the flight was only 3 hours long. I didn't expect nearly that much if anything.

7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a second I thought you meant the IFE provided by the lovely FAs :p

8. yousavvy

yousavvy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Feb 3rd LAS to MKE

Flight canceled from ORD to MKE segment, so the automatic system canceled all my flights including the two valid flights from LAS to DFW and DFW to ORD. Rebooked me for Feb 4th via the EXP automated rebooking system. However, I found availability keeping my original LAS to DFW flight, and taking a direct flight DFW to MKE on the 3rd, arriving prior to my original flight while avoiding ORD all together. I was upset because the automated system, kicked me off my LAS to DFW flight, so I lost my upgrade that had cleared. I was offered 5k miles and still got the upgrade in the end... I just think this new automated system should hold the original reservation, while reserving a back up spot, and contacting the customer for approval. I was never contacted, and I was able to make a more logical rebooking in a 5 minute search than the computer did. If I stuck with their auto-booking I would have had to pay another day of expenses in Las Vegas on my dime, since it was weather related.

travelingmore likes this.
  9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Do you get a choice between evouchers and miles?

10. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great thread. I've got 1.5 MM with American and didn't even know they gave out miles. Seriously. UA, on the other hand, welcomed me on one of my first flights with a $200 eVoucher for defective overhead light.

But I can't think of a problem I've had with AA except when they ran out of ice on an unexpected detour to IAH until DFW weather improved.

Do you have to email them if there is an issue? On UA the FA just gave me a certificate to log on to their website and choose one of three compensation offers.

11. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Drat- glad for this thread - getting new ideas. I've had the IFE mess up more than once on an AA flight, but never thought to email Customer Service to point it out.

12. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the last flight with the whole fam damily, the FA skipped my husband and daughter's row when it came to serving breakfast. Completely. Didn't even ask them if they wanted any, or what their choice would be. I've never contacted CS but maybe I should. What' the best way to do so, and should I do it (I'm PLT, they are not elite)?

(I had assumed they declined so didnt say anything at the time, hubby is very laid back and didnt say anything because he just assumed they ran out...but they didn't, everyone else in all rows ahead and behind had breakfast)

13. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just contacted them via the website (Contact AA -> Customer Relations -> Compliment/Complaint/Comment) and they responded promptly.

14. JonPal
    Original Member

JonPal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sent an email via the AA website about a vacation I took with my parents from MIA - SJU. Spent 200K miles for all of is in economy. Had one bad airplane and switched to another. Then the second airplane kept turning off on the tarmac and we had to return to the gate to have the APU removed. We arrived over 3 hours late. My father is AA Gold and they gave us each 5K for the trouble.

Casey Friday likes this.
  15. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    2/21/11 - Mechanical Problems (2 hour delay) - No Status - 3k miles for me, 3k miles for wife

16. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    2/14/11 - cancellation of last AE flight out of DFW - HOU (cancelled due to lack of co-pilot). Had to stay overnight and catch 10:30 am flight the next morning. - EXP - 20,000 miles.

17. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    3/3/11 ORD-BUF flight arrived 30 minutes late into BUF, and ground crew went home, had to wait one extra hour for gate check luggage.

Plat 2,000 miles

18. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    March 3rd, LAX-LHR, no AVOD- $200
    March 14th LHR-LAX, no AVOD-10k miles

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's some nice comp!

20. stu52
    Original Member

stu52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    10K miles for lack of AVOD seems to be pretty common for the comp. I've gotten that as well. However, I've never gotten $200...and that would have been more valuable to me.

21. bubb1
    Original Member

bubb1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    10k here for no IFE on LHR-LAX (almost 11 hours), plt status in Y

DC Terr likes this.
  22. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is great. Thanks for sharing. It seems like most of the compensation is related to faulty equipment or delays. I tried once to contact them about bad service from their check-in ground crew (didn't show up until 10 minutes before original scheduled flight time) and got NOTHING. Anyone willing to share samples of their emails to complain about delays? Greatly appreciate it.

23. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight cancelled on Feb 10th DFW - PHX!!! Had to go to ORD then PHX!!!

5k - EXP

24. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    What should be the compesantion if AA lost 2 pieces of lugagge???

25. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    HND-JFK April 3, in C, IFE didn't work, only got $100 ?!?!? WTF