AA.com Booking Process Refreshed

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ballardFlyer, Dec 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    perryplatypus, jbcarioca and malikguy like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    And yet the names "Choice," "Choice Essential," and "Choice Plus" still have no descriptive value.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've played with this for a bit now and I have to say I am supremely unimpressed with this change. I'm going to sleep on it and maybe the magic of it all will make itself apparently in the morning. I'm highly doubtful though. This is some fresh hell AA has thrown on our doorsteps tonight, which is sad considering we were doing so well with the 77W arrival.

Travelman, wrxmom, garyst16 and 6 others like this.
  4. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I'd use "fresh hell" as a descriptor, although keep in mind I've played with it for about 5 minutes :)

I think I could get used to it. It is nice to see rt fares, IMHO. But what happened to the "view all"?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And the missing sort functions? And the new fare names with elite perks tied into the tiers? The pop up boxes that seem to indicate PLTs and EXPs do not get lounge access on cheaper Y fares? It's a confusing mess.

6. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Updating post. It's getting goofier as I go along. Perhaps I'm now more accepting of "fresh hell" descriptor.

7. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried to chk it and chk some airfare from lax to china and price high and when checking for the return then prices has negative value which means discounted from your original pick so why not just price the one way and the return separately instead of having bundle pricing. I woner if anyone complained about their previous pricing.

8. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    not a fan of this new booking process. can't know the cost of each segment.

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a fan...guess they got advice from DL...

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Slept on it. Didn't help. :(

11. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Holy Hell this just got more difficult.

I guess ITA is useful again.

12. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah this is a disaster. Websites need UX designers. Not graphic designers.

Travelman, basiface, garyst16 and 4 others like this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
  14. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, it's disappointing that TPG has more info about aa.com booking features then the aa.com has easily accessible. Regular consumers aren't experts and are underserved by a lack of information and power users now have painful impediments to selecting their desired fares. I hate to say it but at least UA lets their select customers get access to a preview website. However, considering how old AA's IT and website infrastructure is that probably isn't sustainable.

The only positive is that I like the free change option - that is interesting - I spend $150 way too often.

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I should clarify and say that I don't mind the new fare options, those are easy enough to figure out. I have issues with how the site's functionality has changed. The lack of a sorting feature, the inability to view all fares on a single page, etc. That's what's bothering me.

I should note that an AA rep did mention they are going to add a sort feature to the site. No clue on when that might happen though.

16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I mind the lack of ability to see a fare breakdown and i very much mind the fact that it is a higher price when you're looking for the first leg and then they subtract while picking the next leg.

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would argue that those are functionality issues, not issues with the new pricing structure itself.

18. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    the fare breakdown per leg, i can agree with.

i see the high number then subtraction as a way to hide the cheaper fares and encourage selection of higher than lowest.

Of course the view all and the sorts are requirements.

19. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where's the "Search alternate dates" link? :eek: +1 to "fresh hell". Also, R/T is nice, but somewhat confusing because it was nice to know how much you were paying for each direction of the flight. I guess it doesn't really matter since it just boils down to one total at the end of the day...

Lastly, it's pretty but slow and much less functional than before. Very confusing as David has stated. I don't know what I am getting and what I am not getting with my fare / elite perks. I was so confused, I logged out of my account and logged into to my wife's account (non-elite) just to see what it would look like without the elite benefits being listed. It's less confusing once you see it that way, but still a very high learning curve IMHO.

20. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that it helps much, but:
    https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/bundles.jsp

I'd like to add that the bundles being offered seem nice, like SDC included in the fare, but you are essentially buying insurance on your ticket where you're paying for something you may not use. Good idea on AA's behalf to generate more revenue on the front end but terrible presentation of the new offerings.

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to find value in this and honestly have never dealt with confirmed same day changes. i stand by (for earlier flights) all the time, but never done the confirmed.

Does this basically mean you can call up 12 hours prior to departure and as long as there is a seat, you can change? fare bucket (not class of service) go out the window at the point?

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Each airline has its own rules. United lets you SDC within 24 hours of your original flight, which can be a real pain if you want to move to something earlier. Furthermore, it requires that you be able to find space in the same booking code, which has never worked for me so far traveling on deeply discounted G fares. Delta has a much smaller window but it is 3 hours before your new flight and allows you to rebook into any seat in the same ticketed cabin (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't actually fly Delta).

perryplatypus, jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  23. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stand-by:
    Not guaranteed and must be done on the same day of the flight. There is no charge for this and it must be done at the ticket counter or with a gate agent. Free for Elites and full-fare customers.

SDC (confirmed):
    Guaranteed at the time of request if there is availability. You are not on stand-by, the seat is confirmed. You can do this with an agent, over the phone, or through the self-service kiosk. It's normally a $75.00 fee each way (not per segment). Must be done within 12 hours of your original flight.

jbcarioca, perryplatypus and Tenmoc like this.
  24. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a fresh hell. I like the ideas of free SDC, 50% more miles and the waived flight change fee but the overall way that AA shows the fares is terrible. I have only had to change a flight once this year but I can see a lot of use of the SDC to use to get more miles or better routing to a destination.

Travel2Food, jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  25. IPBrian

IPBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not played much with this yet, but David's "Fresh Hell" description seems pretty fitting.