AA.com Award Stopover Pricing "Error" for Off/Peak?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by PanAm, Aug 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saw this on FlyerTalk today:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1374019-aa-com-not-compliant-award-rules.html

From the OP:
    No one chimed in with anything definitive, and it doesn't seem AA.com publishes anything. Still, in all the threads I've come across on FT about this I don't recall seeing others come up against this. If AA's website isn't pricing them as they intend, I think that's AA's problem. Especially after being that way for years, apparently.

Anyone here have any experience with this, one way or the other? Happen to have any firm guidance?

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I haven't booked Europe - Hawaii coach awards (shudder) so can't say how long-standing this issue is, but if he's getting better than published pricing from the website that's somethng to count oneself lucky on. I don't think it means that one can expect to call and make changes without being expected to pay the 'correct' price.

If the mistake is still on the AA.com website, one can of course cancel and rebook the award. But if you're not an EXP you pay a fee to do so. Strikes me as reasonable.

And kvetching about this also seems a pretty good way to get the error corrected and the price increased for everyone.

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  3. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The issue is that, so far as anyone can tell, there is no "published correct price" - none of the AA program information states it one way or another. So there is no means to verify if the website is correct or the agent(s) are correct. It has worked this way online since the current one way/stopover structure was implemented.So it's not a few one-off cases of someone being "lucky"

I'm not sure who you imply is "kvetching" - the FT OP was trying to validate the information and I am doing the same in hopes MP members may have better answers. I find it ironic that one of the bloggers who's quite vocal about advertising pricing glitches, mistakes, etc is worried about getting an error corrected!:rolleyes:

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, I'm not worried about it, if AA is going to fix it they're going to fix it. I'm just saying that making a change to a date outside of the published season for a discounted award isn't something one should expect to be able to do.

I'm not sure I understand how one says there's no published correct price? Travel needs to be during a specific season to qualify fr the discount price, outside of that date range it's at a higher price, it seems that the website is pricing based on the departure date of the first segment but agents are verifying that all travel falls within the published date range (which is apparently the rule, unsurprisingly).

5. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is 100% correct-- ALL travel must occur on days in the off-peak time period to qualify for off-peak pricing.

AA.com however can and does make this mistake (some kinda sabre pricing error) as briefly discussed here:
    http://travelingbetter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4174&referrerid=16

6. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where is this documented in AA s program material regarding stopovers in this context?

ETA: In the 2-year-old thread cited above, the OP ended up booking a trip on the phone (as they cite a phone booking fee) with one of the flights occurring on an off-peak day. I've ticketed similarly on the phone and haven't been charged peak prices. Doesn't seem to be merely a website "glitch" as you call it.

The change was noticed and discussed on FT back in 2009 as being different from the prior pricing methodology: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...oking-engine-may-9-2009-a-4.html#post11723657
    And in fact I've never had AA.com return results that were any different since then.

So... an occasional "glitch"? For 3 years running, in nearly every instance? That's a stretch.

Maybe the current pricing is not how AA intends it and they inexplicably sold awards at a "discount" for all these years. I can't imagine why, but also can't imagine why a customer who booked, say, 20K online, would not be surprised when he calls for a date change and is told the airline's own website is wrong and he needs to pay more miles. I understand the OP's concern/question.

7. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does this work from Asia to NA? or only works for Europe to NA?

8. JonNYC
    Original Member

JonNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me ask you this; where, to your knowledge, does/did literally 90%+ of the non-published AAdvantage award/routing/stopover/rules info come from?

Do these hundreds of rules I've single-handedly enlightened the AA community to not exist because they similarly are not "documented in AA's program material"?

Like 3rd region exceptions, MPM/published routing requirement, stopover definitions and distinctions-- pretty much all the arcane, detailed, non-published details of AAdvantage awards-- do you know what/who the source of all that info is?

newbluesea likes this.
  9. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked a simple question, no need to be rude. (You didn't answer the same question on your thread 2 years ago either, btw) Just because you have contributed information, no matter how much, doesn't make you infallible nor give you the right to have an attitude.

In addition to the website redemption pricing, many people have experience with agents have ticketed based on 1st-leg seasonality "rule" including myself. A poster on FT had an agent explicitly explain this was the procedure under the then-newish one-way awards:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13598109-post771.html
    Reliable AA experienced posters have also supported this experience, since the new one-ways were implemented in 2009, just one example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16202238-post1531.html
    Perhaps you are correct, however real world experience and prior agent statements are to the contrary. Which is why the OP on FT apparently asked when he ran into a problem with a date change. (So far, that poster was an anomaly compared to other experiences posted with such awards) With nothing stated in writing by AA, and plenty of experience showing otherwise, why wouldn't a reasonable person ask for corroboration?

Travelman likes this.