AA Codeshares Blocked from LAN Codeshare Bookings/Modifications To Current Bookings

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ballardFlyer, Nov 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is something semi-meaty for all those saying AA land is slow on MP:

Per this speculative AAdvantageGeek blog post http://boardingarea.com/blogs/aadva...ulation-is-lan-leaving-the-oneworld-alliance/ about a TB post made by the extremely knowledgeable JonNYC (http://www.travelingbetter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2415&page=5) it appears that LAN is blocked on AA. I really have enjoyed LAN flights in SA so I hope that this blows over and they stay in OW with AA.

I wonder if Avios bookings are being blocked too - that would be a good secondary indicator of a larger OW problem with LA.

I'm also more concerned because JonNYC posted it originally and he seems to be in the know on all things AA.

MX likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have been quietly following this story for a few days and it will be interesting to see it play out. Keeping my thoughts to myself for now. :)

ballardFlyer likes this.
  3. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would love to see LAN join * Alliance. Nice service and with South America travel growing it would be a nice fit. Reading the post in the link seems that they are precluded by others. Am I reading this correctly. Thanks and Safe Travels

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When TAM and LAN were allowed to merge, there were several conditions placed upon the new carrier, one of which many see as banning them from joining Star Alliance. They could stay with OW, leave and join SkyTeam, or perhaps leave and become an independant carrier like Emirates who partners with various airlines. It doesn't seem like *A is a viable options at this point, though to be honest I have never taken the time to read the actual language that others seem to think bans LATAM from Star Alliance.

5. Globetrotter

Globetrotter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have and it's unequivocal. LATAM cannot join *A. I'm not sure why people think this is an option, but they're wrong and in fact it is no secret that TAM is leaving *A.

Here's the thing, the Chilean antitrust body didn't ban LATAM from *A, per say. Rather here is what it said:
    • Lan and Tam have 24 months to decide between oneworld and *A
    • Lan and Tam cannot be in the same alliance as Avianca-Taca
    Since Avianca-Taca are now officially members of *A (and newly inducted, so they're not going anywhere), you reach the conclusion! :)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

I've got some ideas in my head at the moment. :)