AA Citibank CC Retention

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Robin, May 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a AA Platinum Citibank Mastercard and called about cancellng because of the $85 annual fee. They offered me 3 options:
    - $95 credit after 5 purchases
    - Spend $500 in 3 months and receive 3000 miles
    -1 extra mile per qualifying purchase (no gift cards etc) for 6 months up to 6000 miles

Kalboz, marcwint55 and Len Williams like this.
  2. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is what they offered me too. I am focusing on another airline, so these miles are not as valuable to me right now. I choose to move the line of credit to their bronze version of the AA card. This card has NO annual fee, so I will limit the negative impact on my credit by keeping it open, but I will lose all of the perks that came with the platinum version.

Kalboz and perryplatypus like this.
  3. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had many offers throughout the past few years with my AA cards, but the last time I called nothing was available. Maybe this was due to not using the card for quite some time.

perryplatypus likes this.
  4. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called in October and got offered more miles after spend and took those (pre-MM changes). I have been told that you can get retention offers every 6 months, so with the annual fee coming up I called a couple of weeks ago and was told to pound sand. So I closed the accounts. Then I get a letter from them extolling the virtues of Citi cards and asking me to call them to discuss options. If I get bored perhaps I'll see what they have to say. Weird.

perryplatypus and NYCAdventurer like this.
  5. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may as well call and see what you can squeeze out of them!

perryplatypus likes this.
  6. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any luck yet with a retention bonus on the AA Citi Executive card?

7. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    They didn't offer me anything but I haven't used it much at all

Kalboz likes this.
  8. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to rack up as many MM Status miles on the Executive card before the end of the year. We'll see if they offer anything to keep the card at the end of the year.

9. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flip side to getting a retention offer on these, is canceling, and waiting a bit (year?) and starting over with no annual fee and a starting bonus. Just a thought . . .

I'll probably keep mine, hope they give me the 5 purchases/$95 deal, and use the 10K miles rebate next year on redemptions.

10. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or you can try keeping one open long term and then opening a new product 12-18 months down the line. Seemed to work for me. Plus, I just got a retention bonus on my Citi AA without even having to spend anything extra.

11. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, I got bored. I called and was asked for account #, security word, address, DoB, SSN, and then annual income, at which point I balked and asked the CSR if they were planning to pull my credit report since it sounded like I was applying for a new credit card or something. She put me on hold (I guess to check?) and came back after a few minutes and I think said "no" but I am not even sure now.

So she "re-opened my account" in order to see what offers were available and then asked what I wanted. I asked what they were offering as I called before closing the cards and was told they were not interested in my business so I was a little confused as to why they were sending me letters as if it was a surprise that I closed the accounts.

Eventually I got out of her that they could not waive the fee but they could give me a $95 statement credit or change my card to a bronze. If they had just offered that during my first call I would have taken it and kept the card open for another year but to re-open the card they would have to do a bit better than that. It was unclear if there were any other offers, she was not very forthcoming. Meh, left it closed. Not even worth bothering for my wife's cards. Maybe I'll send them a letter.

Ike

12. Tlamm

Tlamm Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, not sure if this is the right place but I have question about AA miles. About a year ago, our daughter asked us to transfer our miles to her account so she can use it for her travel. We transferred about 14,000 miles. Unfortunately, this is not enough to fly anywhere. I told our daughter to apply for a citi card but she said she has too many cards now. Any suggestions on how to use these miles? It is good for a year yet. Thank you.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. IkeEsq

IkeEsq Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any activity will extend the expiration date. Take a survey on Opinion Place once a year and you'll be fine.

As an aside, you are better off using miles to get her a ticket than paying to transfer miles into her account.

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  14. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this is obvious to most, but I'll say it anyway. Don't call when the fee is due. Call to cancel at the 9 month mark. Get your retention bonus, then cancel for real at the 12 month mark.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Tlamm

Tlamm Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions, Ike, Mike :)

Kalboz likes this.
  16. SDFlyer

SDFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    This weeks AA retention bonuses:
    AA Visa......$85 fee credited and 750 mile bonus for $750 spend on the card for each of the next 16 months
    AA Amex.....No statement credit, but 10k mile bonus for spending 5k on the card in the next 6 months

I accepted both offers.......SDFlyer

Kalboz likes this.