AA Citi World Elite Mastercard vs Amex to book AA flights and use airport benefits?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Charlie6, Jul 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Charlie6

Charlie6 Active Member

Status Points:
    I opened the AA Citi Executive World Elite Mastercard and am close to my $10,000 spend for the 100,000 miles. I need to book a one-way domestic flight (for 6) that will cost me about $1500. I'd like to fly American to check out the admirals club, free checked bags and enhanced airport experience. Do I need to actually pay for the flight with the AA Citi card (and get 2 points per dollar) or can I put it on my Amex Gold (at 3 points per dollar) and still use the airport benefits? Thanks for any advice!

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use the airport benefits even without using the card to book. They just ask for it at the Admirals club lounge desk. It also limits you to 2 guests/family members at a time though.
    If they try to charge you for bags show them the card. You should be able to use the Business Class or First Class check in if you have your AA number on the reservation and....
    I think your boarding pass will be marked "Priority" so you can use that at the TSA line and at the gate even if you book using the AMEX (I am 98% sure). Your guest you book may not be marked "Priority" however.

Here is are links to details
    https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/additional-info/template.do?ID=AdditionalInfo-ExecAAdvantage
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=citiexecutive

Counsellor, flyforawg and Newscience like this.
  3. Charlie6

Charlie6 Active Member

Status Points:
    very helpful info, thank you Daninstl!

daninstl likes this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They tell me some Zombie links are still active, might look at another AA EX Card, they will give you more than one...

The AC card is good on US Air also...

I will not tell you how many times CITI has given me 100k, :cool:
    They are such nice people.

Charlie6 likes this.
  5. Traveller999

Traveller999 Active Member

Status Points:

For reference a month ago :
    I used my AA EX card at Buffalo at US air lounge there is no AC lounge there , access was given to my wife and son too.
    No Boarding Pass was requested (we flew Southwest that day).

Charlie6 likes this.
  6. MONAX

MONAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in May I flew out of BNA with Southwest and went into an AA lounge by presenting my AA Executive MC... No boarding pass was requested.