AA Citi retention bonuses

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rangersfan, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I didn't see a thread for this yet so thought I'd get it started.

Card: AA Citi Amex
    How long card was open: About 6 months
    Spend: I spent maybe a few thousand on the card over the 6 months

I opened an AA Citi Amex about 6 months ago to get a 20k sign-up bonus. Tried to cancel the card last month and was offered 3k miles for spending $500. Normally I'd only keep it for 5000 or more, but I went ahead and kept it.

The next day, I bought a few gift cards (about $800 worth). My 3000 bonus points posted + my 800 miles + another 400 miles (listed as bonus on my statement). The CSR didn't say anything about additional miles above & beyond the 3000, but it seems I'm getting some additional bonus (50% of what I spend). So I'm going to try to use it a little heavier this month to see if I can pick-up some extra bonus miles.

ahow628 likes this.
  2. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. We just hit the $4k spend on both ours for the 75k miles bonus. Probably going to call in and cancel soon. Hopefully they extend a retentions offer.

3. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't used my card in a while, but I just noticed a letter offering 1 bonus mile per $2 spent through 8/31/11. Maybe that's what you're getting.

4. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Best to do a bit of shopping around before calling. I'm glad I did beforehand - the info over on FT had mentioned three offers. When I called they only offered me two. I pressed a bit and they said, oh and there is this other one: Get double points up to $5k spend over the next x(forget if it was 3 or 6)months up to 10k - came down to spend $5k get 15k miles. Love them coins.

ahow628 likes this.