AA Chat/Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Tenmoc, May 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hoppy New Year IPA drinkers.

Tenmoc and brodyf like this.
  2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boy it sure takes a long time to ticket when using gift certificates. Worth it to soak up the Amex platinum airline credit early in the year. Does always make me wonder what takes so long.

Tenmoc and Betty Boop like this.
  3. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it is possible to use the airline credit that way? Missed my chance then last year leaving $$ on the table :(

Tenmoc and flyforawg like this.
  4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    For last three years, I just buy two $50 gift certificates. The credit posts about 3-4 calendar days thereafter.

Sent from my SM-G935T using InsideFlyer mobile app

Tenmoc likes this.
  5. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Wish I had asked 2 weeks ago.

Tenmoc and flyforawg like this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally got to ride the 77W in J. Nice, but still not perfect. I like the 772s for the two outlets and better tray table. I like to be able to push it away from me instead of just swing it in. The 77W is better for the wider foot rest making the bed much more comfortable. Hopefully one day they'll create a perfect option.

brodyf, flyforawg and Betty Boop like this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quiet thread, just wanted to let you know that the JL flight NRT - ORD after Thanksgiving on Tuesday the 28th and Wednesday 29th have up to four business class seats available for award travel. I'm watching the timeframe for first seats...

8. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh mad dog. How I've missed your comfy up front seats with the genius offset seating.

Posted by mobile phone.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    mre5765 and brodyf like this.
  9. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    American declared this as new news today

AAdvantage program updates

Starting May 20, we'll roll out more updates to the AAdvantage program including:

Changes to how upgrade requests are prioritized
    A new ConciergeKeySM and Executive Platinum member benefit: upgrades on award tickets
    What's new

Upgrade prioritization
    On May 20 we’ll start changing upgrade prioritization, but the process could take a few days to complete in our systems. Upgrade requests will be prioritized by elite status level, then:

Type of upgrade
    12-month Rolling EQDs
    Booking code
    Date and time of request
    Type of upgrade

Before you get to the airport, requests for systemwide and mileage award upgrades are processed independently from 500-mile upgrade requests.

At the airport, upgrades requested will be prioritized in this order:

Systemwide and mileage award upgrades
    500-mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    500-mile upgrades on award tickets
    12-month Rolling EQDs

Your 12-month Rolling EQD value is different from your Year-to-Date (YTD) EQDs, which is used to track your progress toward elite status.

Rolling EQDs will initially be based on 3 things:

EQDs that would’ve been earned for eligible travel August 1 - December 31, 2016
    EQDs actually earned January 1, 2017 - now (less than 12 months)
    EQDs earned from reaching qualifying spend thresholds on eligible AAdvantage AviatorTM MasterCard cards
    Over time, this will build to a full 12 months and be updated daily.

Earning EQDs

Booking code

In the event that two members have the same Rolling EQD balance, we will then look at booking code and request date/time stamp.

Booking code priority:
    From Business to First (for systemwide and mileage award upgrades only): J, R, D, I, C
    From Main Cabin to the next class: W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T
    Upgrades on award tickets

As a ConciergeKeySM or Executive Platinum member, you’ll be able to use your complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits to upgrade yourself and 1 companion on AAdvantage award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class.

Requesting an upgrade
    If everyone in your reservation is eligible for a complimentary upgrade, upgrades will be auto-requested (includes reservations booked before May 20, 2017)
    If you need to use 500-mile upgrades to pay for a companion, you must request an upgrade
    You can request upgrades on award tickets by accessing a previously booked reservation on aa.com, the American Airlines app, through an American representative or your travel agent
    Award ticket upgrade priority
    Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after all other 500-mile upgrade requests on purchased tickets within each elite level
    Companions will have the same priority as the sponsor member
    Companion upgrade benefit
    You can also upgrade 1 companion traveling on the same flight. This benefit applies if just 1 or both of you are traveling on an award ticket.

The number of upgrades needed for the companion will be deducted from the sponsor member’s account, even if the companion is an elite status member and has their own 500-mile upgrade account.

The number of upgrades needed for the companion will be determined based on the companion’s elite status level. The policy for award tickets is the same as purchased tickets.

As a reminder:

ConciergeKeySM, Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members receive complimentary upgrades regardless of flight length
    Platinum and Gold members receive complimentary upgrades on flights 500 miles or less; flights greater than 500 miles require 500-mile upgrades
    Non-elite status members require 1 upgrade for every 500 miles of travel, regardless of flight length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betty Boop, Newscience and Pizzaman like this.
  10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The EQD basis for upgrades is a killer for me since I haven't flown AA much in the first half of the year. Even less reason to fly them the second half of the year. Sigh.

Betty Boop and Newscience like this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably benefits me not necessarily from high spend but rather from not generally ranking high on the purchase time criteria. And still seeing decent upgrade rates on most of my routes.

flyforawg and Newscience like this.
  12. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see how this affects my upgrade chances. I rarely fly the usual elite heavy routes that might have double digit EXPs on the upgrade list. I buy a lot of last minute fares and I still usually get upgraded.

The exception to that is my international travel. Those trips are usually planned and SWUs applied long in advance. I usually clear SWUs but we shall see if that continues under the new scheme.

flyforawg and Newscience like this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to say that, for now, I like the new upgrade process (mainly because it made me feel "special" (read in Church Lady voice) for my first upgrade of the year). I was on the airport UG list for MIA-DFW, with 30+ others, many of whom I presume were EXP as well being hub-to-hub, and was shocked to see myself at #1, especially with a close-in purchase time and cheap-o economy ticket. And, mine was the only UG processed for the flight. Then, for the return the next day, I got my UG notice upon arrival in DFW.

Let's see how this pans out in a few months as I go out of a peak flying season...

flyforawg and brodyf like this.
  14. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a few months some this tropic came up. I can now say that the new upgrade scheme works in my favor. My EQD ytd is $27625. Anymore comments out there?

Betty Boop likes this.
  15. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good for you, bad for me. Upgrade % down 10-15%.

Mandatory cheapest flights enforced through corporate travel tool means I probably won't requalify for EP because of spend despite doing the miles. If that happens, my 10-11k a year will at least end my connecting days and maybe encourage me to fly less by actively looking for ways to work remotely more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using InsideFlyer mobile app

brodyf and Betty Boop like this.
  16. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new system for achieving ExP status may mean I won’t make it this year. I am now booking business class seats to get double miles but even with that if I get to 100K miles I may not make it to. $12K. And we don’t know how that will be handled by AA. I am not happy at all!

Pizzaman likes this.
  17. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a bummer. I'd love to know how many people drop from EXP to PltPro this year due to the spend requirement. It seems like a lot of people are in the same boat.

Betty Boop likes this.
  18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Can you earn EQMs through one of the credit cards to bridge the gap?

Betty Boop likes this.
  19. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Entrée Selected?
    I called in, asked for and received a different routing on a $100/round trip from DCA-SFO in economy after AA changed the original flights by over two hours. On the new itinerary under meals it says Entrée Selected for all segments, on the old itinerary it said either Meals: or Meals: Food For Purchase.

Does this indicate that something is changing an AA will have meals in coach? I've seen mention of some NYC-LAX flights getting meals but nothing about ORD-SFO or SFO-PHL.

Betty Boop likes this.
  20. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    That’s something I have been thinking about and must look into.

21. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's long gone, but there are 2 First Seats SFO - HDN on JL 1 14:50 - 19:15+1 on November 17th that's a week from now Friday right about when people should be taking their holiday flights. It also has a connection from ORD AA 1145 in business 7:15 - 10:05. Doesn't work from DCA but maybe someone could take advantage of it.

22. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found my first tickets for the return!

Betty Boop likes this.
  23. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy to report my weekday after thanksgiving first class seats opened up yesterday for the return and I grabbed them! That was a day over two weeks in advance. That probably is my preference Business out and First return (except of First/First).

I've also found it cool that on the hour or so AA flight to Chicago we get to pre order our breakfast and return lunch.

Betty Boop likes this.