AA changing flight times on reservations

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jakem4800, Sep 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I Have noticed on several advance purchases AA changes flight info on a reservation, for instance I booked a 6 am flight they changed it to a 11:45am departing time, another instance they changed the connection time and moved from a 10:45a flight to a 12:20p flight and cut the connection time down to 31 mins... what makes them think they can do this and have others had similar situations?

Newscience likes this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in AA but I frequently have that happen to my Delta flights.
    Either my travel agent will call me, or I will get an email, or I notice it myself in the app.

Generally speaking, airlines can make changes for any reasons right up to departure time.
    Having said that, once there is a schedule change, as a passenger, you can than capitalise it to your benefit.

Some used it as a reason to cancel without charges, others chooses a different routing or flights more suitable for their circumstances.
    There will be times where you are unable to capitalise on the change and get stuck with something less than ideal but the current situation does gives the airlines a right to make changes to their schedules / equipment.

My advice is to look through the current options with AA, make a preferred plan (and maybe also a plan B and Plan C) then call AA.

Tell them about the schedule change and the new options will not work for you.
    Ask if they can accommodate you on your own Plans A/B/C instead.
    Within reasons, you will likely find them pretty accommodating as the change was triggered from their end.

wrxmom, Aktchi, Counsellor and 2 others like this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never had a time change on AA, but over a dozen on UA. Did have a seasonal flight disappear on me once when they shortened the seasonal window.

WilliamQ likes this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume you are new to AA:) As far back as I can remember there has always been wholesale schedule modifications by AA in or around September annually.
    Of course they can and will do this.
    If the new schedule does not work for you have the option of cancelling and getting your money back.. but be aware that a 10 min change will not allow that the change has to be significant 90 minutes or more unless it affects as in your case a connection.
    The rules for changes can be found on their website.

Its good that you found out about this before arriving at the airport and generally is AA quite good about accommodating changes. It helps immensely if you check to see what the options are (or what would work for you) and be prepared to suggest them when you call in

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happens all the time on all airlines. If you don't like it you can propose an alternate or ask for a refund.

wrxmom likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost always this is due to a scheduling change of the flight itself, either a different departure time or a cancelation of a flight (e.g., downsizing from 3 flights per day on the route to only two, and adjusting the remaining two). Proposing an alternate is often a good option, even if the alternative involves different routing, since usually if the changed routing will get you to your destination nearer the original time, AA will make the change without charge, even on el cheapo fares.

I had one instance where I was on a morning flight that was cancelled (changing from 2 flights a day to only one on the route). That was inconvenient for me since it had me arriving late in the afternoon instead of mid-day. I did some checking, and found a connection (instead of my direct flight) and they changed me at no charge, even though it added an extra flight of nearly 1000 miles (more qualifying miles) and the seats in my booking class were gone, so I got "Y".

flyforawg and WilliamQ like this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a winner. :)

flyforawg likes this.
  8. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback, I called in on it and they were happy to make free changes to the itineraries, the rep mentioned that they do these schedule changes as a security measure when there's too long of a layover and also because they are one way tickets they say because of the extended layover times they would charge for 2 one way tickets?

Maybe they think we are gonna go out and explore in The connection city for 15 mins and turn around and come back? That's all the more you'd get with a 2 hour layover...

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's just silly. But I suppose some people hear "security" and get happy about things.

I had a flight booked as a non-stop both ways and I paid extra versus the connection for such. Turns out we want to trim the vacation by a couple days and AA cut the non-stop on the scheduled return date. AAgent quite happily moved our return by 2 days with no fee, no fuss.

Schedule changes can very often work in your favor. :cool:

daninstl likes this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky break. Sometimes they just happens in our favour and everything falls into place.
    When one travels frequently and makes the effort, things (overall) can actually work in the way for the passenger.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, had we not wanted to change it would have been a 3 hour longer trip involving clearing immigration in MIA. I'd say that is far from things working out in my favor. ;)

WilliamQ likes this.
  12. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA schedule changes have been more often lately due to the merger. I was able to use this to my AAdvantage the other day when a schedule change happened... I had them change departure airport from IAD to DCA while they were at it (for free) :) originally DCA was more expensive than IAD.