AA Changes to Self Service Check In @ LAX T4

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by rwoman, Jan 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-american-airlines-kiosks-lax20120130,0,2566401.story

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    IE was having issues when I posted this...sounds like it is the non-premier check in area IIRC.

gemac likes this.
  3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was through LAX check-in yesterday. It is the non-premier check-in only.

deant and rwoman like this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    You know, as long as I get a receipt, I don't mind self-service check-in. First and foremost, I check a bag less than 5 times a year. I don't really want any portion of my ticket to pay for an AAgent I'm never going to use. Second, I'm willing to work ever so slightly harder ( really, how hard is it to put on a bag tag?) if it means there's a chance that the money saved will eventually support some benefit I'll actually use. Might be silly thinking on my part, but hey.

Robt760, gleff, AnthonyB1609 and 4 others like this.
  5. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see that AA is pushing the travel public to even greater self-sufficiency... of course I would never notice this as I head straight to the Priority Access ticketing area if I'm not headed straight to the Priority Access security area.

6. Am EXP and LTP - so I only use the First Class counter. I have noticed that the First Class area is very well-guarded.
    Last week I even saw an agent send a PLT to the Business Class line.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nothing wrong with kiosks, when faced with a choice between a kiosk and an AAgent I head to the kiosk unless there are issues with the ticket or reservation to sort out.

Eventually even kiosks will become more or less superfluous as we interact through our smartphones, but that's years off.

8. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that many years off. I've been amazed to see the marked increase in the number of people at the boarding gates with electronic boarding passes.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kiosks are fine, and I'll use them if checking in at the airport unless there's some sort of issue. They're space-efficient and when implemented well a quick and easy way to check in.

On the smartphone front, I'm becoming more and more trusting of electronic boarding passes, and they've got increasingly good coverage for DL destinations at least (although not without growing pains - I was flying out of Oakland the day OAK upgraded to support electronic boarding passes and all of their ticket scanners had crashed). Still good to have a paper backup, of course - especially if time is tight. While total penetration is years off, there's a lot you can do now.

What does annoy me is coercing passengers in the elite checkin to use the kiosks over talking to an agent. This happens at some DL stations and seems to be related to targets for checking in people via kiosks. If an elite wants to check in with an agent (or has a reservation issue that won't allow the kiosks to work) that should not be resisted.

What was the status previously? This does not seem particularly extreme.

10. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not acceptable. PLT benefits explicitly provide access to FC check in.

John777 likes this.